• lucretiuscp
    lucretiuscp Posts: 135
    and Pooley
  • stelvio
    stelvio Posts: 1,422
    and Tanja Slater
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    Glad to se Nicole repeat the win she had last year, now the WC must be her big remaining target for the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I read that she had not even ridden the Tourmalet or the Apspin before. She is just so confident that she can attack on moutains like this and know she will get away with it. And now with the youngster Vos on the up Nicole has a real adversary.

Surely this is the stuff of legends and deserves to be on the front pages of ALL cycling mags.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brian B</i>
    Surely this is the stuff of legends and deserves to be on the front pages of ALL cycling mags.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Let's not get too carried away. It was a really good victory in a race that is unfortunately not one of the premier events at the moment, and where the Raleigh team had practically no top-level opposition - all her real opponents, including Vos were elsewhere (riding in the Netherlands, I think). She's still an absolute star, no doubt about it, but this race will not be remembered as one of her toughest challenges...

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • I think Vos will beat Cooke this year for the women's world cup. I just hope Cooke can get the rainbow jersey in Stuttgard.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Yes, it wouldn't surprise me if Vos had a 10 kg weight advantage. Anything with a steep uphill finish is to her advantage against Cooke, such as the way Vos comfortably rode away with Br„ndli - another climber - on the final climb of the Worlds circuit last year with Nicole burying herself to just hang on the back with them at that point. Also that Fleche-Wallonne win, of course.

<font color="black">london</font id="black"><font color="red">phoenix</font id="red"><font color="black">.co.uk</font id="black">
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brian B</i>

Let's not get too carried away. It was a really good victory in a race that is unfortunately not one of the premier events at the moment,
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

I was'nt just referreing to this race but this season and last in general. If Cooke and Vos were blokes the point I was really trying to get across as they would plastered all over the covers of the mags.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ricadus</i>

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me if Vos had a 10 kg weight advantage. Anything with a steep uphill finish is to her advantage against Cooke, such as the way Vos comfortably rode away with Br„ndli - another climber - on the final climb of the Worlds circuit last year with Nicole burying herself to just hang on the back with them at that point. Also that Fleche-Wallonne win, of course.

<font color="black">london</font id="black"><font color="red">phoenix</font id="red"><font color="black">.co.uk</font id="black">

Surely Cooke only has to finish top 5 or so in remaining World Cup races to clinch it? She has a huge advantage.

Did you get planning permission for that sense of humour bypass?
  • And she's riding past my house this weekend!

Just a comment on the state of cycling; the Guardian ran one paragraph on Nicole at the end of a story on blood tampering. In the same edition is a full page of Landis book plug. Still she's only a girl...

no chain, no gain
    No chain, no gain
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    I was'nt just referreing to this race but this season and last in general. If Cooke and Vos were blokes the point I was really trying to get across as they would plastered all over the covers of the mags.

Oh, I agree totally.

Whatever the organisers may claim the Grand Boucle is hardly the female Tour de France though - there used to be one, and I wish they would bring it back... it's as much the race organisers, sponsors and sporting authorities who are responsible for the lower profile of women's cycling as the media.

That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

That I got no cerebellum
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Calvjones</i>
    Surely Cooke only has to finish top 5 or so in remaining World Cup races to clinch it? She has a huge advantage.

She has yes, but Vos is looking awesome and Cooke slightly less so (admittedly from the mere two races I've seen on ES) but I think it mainly because predictions aren't exciting if they're not long shots [:)]

I do think we stand a great chance for the rainbow this year - chance of a very strong squad for the first time since I've been interested in such things.
  • Stephen Sorba
    Stephen Sorba Posts: 1,036
    One of the remaining World Cup races is a team time trial which Raliegh are expected to win easily. However there are double points on offer for the last race of the series so Nicole's lead is still going to come under pressure. She does have the strongest team and I would expect them to be able to neutralise Vos or at least limit the damage. It's a shame the National championships have had to be cancelled as it might have given us a better understanding of the strength in depth of the British squad. I still think Nicole will end up isolated at the 'Worlds' and expect the winner to come from a stronger nation.

'e pur si muove
    'e pur si muove