TDF-What happens if someone joins in ???

tarmac2
tarmac2 Posts: 30
edited July 2007 in Pro race
Just a rumour going around Kent but you just dont know - what would happen if one or several riders jumped on the back of the Peloton after the last of the pro riders had passed by ? Are the roads just closed to traffic or are other cyclists barred as well ? Would such riders be arrested or prevented from travelling any further - not that many , if any , average to good guys could hang on to the peloton for more than a few mtres but you know the theme about 15mins of fame .......

Comments

• zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    I'd like to see it done, you'd have to get up to speed pretty quickly, and given that the race is followed by a massive number of team cars and so on, unlikely tat's you'd not be spotted in seconds.......

Isn't there an old bit of footage of some old woman joining in on her shopper?

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • simmers
    simmers Posts: 92
    I'm sure people must do it all the time in France? As you say, good luck to anyone trying to keep up with them!! Not as annoying as the arm-flailing idiots who run alongside, or worse in front of, riders in the mountains so they get on TV...
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Never see it done before, but Italy has an actual law about interfering with a professional peloton. France might have something similar... but yeah, good luck trying to keep up.

Related note: did anyone see the two breakaway riders trying to slipstream a runaway horse in the Tour of Switzerland the other day?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You'd be a complete kn*b if you tried.

Daresay a Gendarme Motor bike would sort you out pretty sharpish and painfully too.
  • I've seen a bloke jump over the barrier and try and keep up with a couple of marathon runners. He lasted about 50 metres before the pace was too much for him.
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    I remember those guys in team colours joining in at the finish of climb that was being led by Virenque. Got me confused. Got Duffield confused as well!!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by berliner</i>

I remember those guys in team colours joining in at the finish of climb that was being led by Virenque. Got me confused. Got Duffield confused as well!!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's not saying much.
  • What sort of a half witted spanner would want to potentially f^œk up the rare chance we get over here to host something so big, merely for a few minutes of glory?

Remember this tw@t?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpqWTwUr-KU

Did himself no favours with the public, landed like a complete prick and broke some bones . . . .
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    A few of us were cycling up Leith Hill today (normal route) when all of a sudden we got mixed up in a race! People started cheering us on.

I think you'd be able to keep up in the TdF peleton for a while, but I'd be too scared of knocking a pro over.

If it wasn't for hangovers, I'd ride everyday.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've ridden ahead of the tour of britain in a bunch - well ahead of it we weren't trying to get involved in the race just get a spot for spectating - and some of the crowd started cheering thinking we were the race coming through, then we stopped at some lights.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mattmcp
    mattmcp Posts: 166
    One of hte guys I went to see the race with did it for a couple of km onthe descent of the Col du Glandon, some riders were 20 minutes down and he genuinely thougt the race had passed through. Only when did a gendarme pull up to the side of him and tell him in no uncertain terms to get off the road or I will shoot you in the side of the had did he pull over.

You'd have no chance in the UK, the gendames on bikes will be here, plus all the other official on moto's. I doubt any of the UK police would notice though...

http://sportsbiz.wordpress.com

http://sportsbiz.wordpress.com
  • The peloton would dish out their own rugged form of enforecement should the police not intercept first.

Anyway, interlopers couldn't a) get up to speed quickly enough or b) keep up and you wouldn't want to be dropped in the middle of the following cavalcade. I'm sure the DS's in the cars would show very little hospitality...
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    You might get a knob head like that vvanker who came on at man ure in champions league final,the cricket etc.I hope he thinks he can do it at Le tour and gets squashed like he deserves the nomad that he is.

How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose

spelling
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • I think one of the main things that would stop people doing this is the thought of the kicking they'd get from the genuine race fans if they had endangered the integrity of the race in any way.

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by berliner</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Wasn't that at Courchevel the year Pantani won, so 2000? I think it was a couple of Basque guys, seem to remember they were in Euskatel and/or Kelme kits. And yes, Duffers did get very excitable [:D]
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Mr Bean takes part!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_9Xi1E0 ... ed&search=

Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    This happened at the top of Alpe D'Huez where some prats joined in: ASO and the gendarmarie will deal ........ british Police will only be involved if further action is required.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    I'd have though an equal concern to negatively interfering with the Peleton might be the opportunity for a cyclist to assist a leader? Someone who has broken away and got a 90 second lead, suddenly has the opportunity for drafting a stranger!!

<font size="1">- Make me a bicycle, clown!
    - All right, I'm going to make you a bicycle. But I don't want to make you a bicycle.
    </font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • tarmac2
    tarmac2 Posts: 30
    well that was an interesting x-section of views , ranging from "go for it guys " to " impale the infidels on their handlebars " , i hope that the rumour will stay that way and the stage goes off without incident , otherwise madame le guillotine could well be brought back again !
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    Hope it doesn' happen here.Its all we need especially with having closed roads.
    Bonjour by the way
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mosschops2 wrote:
    I'd have though an equal concern to negatively interfering with the Peleton might be the opportunity for a cyclist to assist a leader? Someone who has broken away and got a 90 second lead, suddenly has the opportunity for drafting a stranger!!

quote]

I doubt theres any british amateur out there who could ride strongly enough to be of any assistance, plus the pro isnt allowed to draft anyway - he'd get done for that. So that aint gonna happen !