London to Southend

B1gBear
B1gBear Posts: 10
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi Guys I'm planning to do this ride in July after a long break in riding(20 years +) I've been back in the saddle now for 5 or 6 weeks now and building up the training, longest ride so far is 38. I am averaging almost 11mph so far so the fitness is coming back slowly, by the way I'm riding a hybrid in a very upright position as the reason for the long absence is due to a history of back problems broke it many years ago! Since having surgery in Jan I'm now back in the saddle!! with permission of doctors etc. My question is I know the route is not the same every year but can someone give an idea of the profile so I know how much hill climbing training I need to do? any advice on route or any thing else welcome. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    If you plan to go the direct way it's either the A127 or the A13. Neither road is good for cycling. I would consider them dangerous. How about heading north instead? Epping/Brentwood, Ongar, Fyfield, Dunmow etc?
    No nasty hills
    Chris
  • B1gBear
    Sorry perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I am talking about THE London to Southend Charity ride, I have seen other references on here about the event, just thought there MUST be some people here that have done it on previous years that could help?
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    There's no serious hills. Though I do remember one I think that's called 'Christmas tree hill' about 10-15 miles from the finish. It's a narrow road and badly surfaced.

It's a nice ride. Hope I'll be able to do it this year.

A number of folks have provided me with advice, particularly on the end of the route and I'm sure you'll get some here to. Have a read of http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... _ID=129784 particulary the second page
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The only real hills are at the start and involve the drag up from Charlie Brown's Roundabout to Chigwell and then up past Grange Hill Tube station. After that its relatively easy.

Even those 2 hills are not too bad

22nd March can't come soon enough, neither can 26th May 2007

Carbon Footprint what Carbon Footprint?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Yes nothing major on this route. Done it a couple of years ago and at that time it was a nice run. Just take it easy with your back and you should be fine. And enjoy!! [:D]

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    Here's the end of the route courtesy of cycledad http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Lo ... d-of-Route If you click on 'show' you can see the evelation profile for that last 11 miles or so.
  • Markta
    Markta Posts: 767
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spen666</i>

The only real hills are at the start and involve the drag up from Charlie Brown's Roundabout to Chigwell and then up past Grange Hill Tube station. After that its relatively easy.

Even those 2 hills are not too bad

22nd March can't come soon enough, neither can 26th May 2007

Carbon Footprint what Carbon Footprint?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, that drag at Chigwell was the only hill of any note. There was also another about 10 miles from the finish towards Southend, a petrol station on the right. If I remember correctly, it was in Hawkwell just before a feed station, petrol station on yer right.

http://mrkta.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php
  • Tony666
    I did the end part of the route (see post above) this morning as part of a longer ride and had a great time - and yes that last hill is a little narky but not too long. Although how it will feel after 50 miles instead of 20 I dread to think! Still, I am really looking forward to the day.
  • splattcp
    splattcp Posts: 27
    It wont be so bad Tony.
    I did Crown Hill (rayleigh) after a 50+ today....it was hard but....not to be defeated!!
  • Tony666
    I wonder if we passed each Splatt other as I was round there too - although going down not up [:D]
  • B1gBear
    Thanks Guys, great advice, special thanks to Tony for the route map very useful, I'm really looking forward to the day just hope I'm up to it come the day!! I have one question not sure if I should ask it here or start a new thread? What would people advise on rest prior to the day?
  • Tony666
    Good question as I had intended a ride out the weekend before, possibly two short rides (under 10 miles) during the week and then rest on Saturday. But I have no idea if this is a good approach or not!

Oh and the cycle map would not have been possible wthout cycledad's very detailed notes.
  • splattcp
    splattcp Posts: 27
    I would say leave a clear 24hr break to allow recovery and dont push it on the ride before that....if you are good for a 30 or 40 then do that and no more, at the end of the day, its a fun ride and there's loads of others doing the same.
    Enjoy the ride and dont put yourself under any pressure to finish in a sub human time.
  • Clefty
    Clefty Posts: 9
    Hi Guys,

I'm also doing to L2S this year in July and was wondering what the 'bikes on trains' situation was for the journey home, I sofar havent found any info on the BHF site or anywhere else. Admittedly I do have a full size Dahon folder but I know Southern weren't letting any bikes whatsoever on trains after Brighton, they even had 'bouncers' at the station, but since the numbers are a lot less I wondered if any previous riders (who didnt cycle back) had any problems.
    Just want to know whether its worth booking a b&b for Sunday night..

Cheers

Claire
  • Tony666
    There are two different train companies operating out of Southend, One (http://www.onerailway.com/) and C2C (http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/). It's probably best to contact them and ask direct.