Identifying/dating restoration project

belgiangoth
belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
edited June 2007 in Road general
Once I get the camera back I will add pictures

chater-lea frame, s-a dynohub (11 5 5), "oiler" thing on headset and bb, reynolds aluminium stem (HIDUM???MER56), french pedals (LVOTARD), S-A 3-speed (AW 65). 26*1 1/4 rims, 32/40 holes, dunlop tires, williams crank.

I know the 3-speed dates it to '65 but that could be a later addition or an upgrade.

No seatpost/saddle, I think the diameter is 27 though. Oh, and heavy handlebars of the "almost flat" type.

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
Chris Juden or Sheldon Brown? - there's only one way to find out, FIGHT!
</font id="size1">

Comments

• Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    The Chater Lea markings are probably just for the drop-outs, but indicates it is a quality machine. 26 * 1 1/4 rims would be unusal on a post 1950 machine.

Try looking on the inside of the crank, there will be the EW stamp together with a date code -
    http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/wi ... ating.html

<hr noshade size="1">
    'Cause I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    And I'm really built for speed
    Built for speed
  • belgiangoth
    belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
    Cheers for that, Sheldon says something similar about the rims dating pre 50s as a general rule. The Chater-lea stamp is on the bottom of the frame, like the current frame number markings you find on modern frames.

26*1 1/4 rims are an utter bllcks to find, I have been offered 26*1 3/8s which I may have to settle for.

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
    Chris Juden or Sheldon Brown? - there's only one way to find out, FIGHT!
    </font id="size1">