"Scrap speed cameras now"- PS in the Telegraph

mjones
mjones Posts: 1,915
edited June 2007 in Campaign
Apparently next week is Scrap Speed Camera week!

http://tinyurl.com/yoakkv

Comments

• Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    A special interest week generated by ____ _______ for ____ _______.

Remember that his campaign needs money to survive. How else do you raise money?

Expect a few stories from the press that are heavily subsidised by motoring (e.g. The Telegraph) and a large number of Green Ink Press Releases from the pony-tailed-half-wit*.

* In case of any legal interest:

A half-wit:
    Someone who has a web page on their own campaign website that encourages perversion of justice
    When challenged this someone says:
    1) It wasn't on the site
    2) It was on the site, but it was written by someone else
    3) I did write it but it's not up there now so it doesn't count
    4) I still agree with what was on the site.

Just to explain, the page on the SS site encouraged drivers caught speeding to scour the Deaths notices of their local paper and use the name of a dead person on the NIP. If you've ever had a relative die, you'd know how disgusting this suggestion is. Yet ____ _______ has never apologised for it and by refusing to apologise he still stands by the advice.

Yes, the man behind Scrap Speed Camera Week would like to see your granddad get a speeding ticket whilst he is lying in his coffin in his front room. Nice man. Nice campaign.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Funnily enough they have declined to publish any comments pointing to the above.

Another complaint about their standard of journalism...........

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Yep. Just because of one page that was on the site at one stage, the whole Safe Speed campaign is invalid. Never mind the 350,000 words that currently make up the site.

Perhaps someone could kindly answer me this. What has Paul Smith ever done to any of you, or any cyclists in general?

The only things I've ever heard him say in relation to cyclists have been supportive. For example, the man who got prosecuted for not using a cycling lane. It's as if you hate him just because he sticks up for the motorist, and that's more important than what he says about cyclists. Bitter and twisted or what? Spindrift, Jaded, Cunobelin, Mister Paul and other "particularly lovely" Cycling Plus denizens: do you actually cycle at all?

And how can anyone here be so passionately in favour of speed cameras when they only came in 15 years ago? Did you refuse to go anywhere before that, believing that automated roadside machines that took photographs were the only things that would make road travel safe enough?

Let's all look forward to the future with hope. Time to accept that Paul Smith is genuinely trying to make the roads safer for every type of user, and he's doing a darn site more than any of you lot. Surely you don't deny that he wants safer roads? Do you really think he just wants to be able to "speed everywhere" and bollocks to how many people die? If so then I suspect that you either have mental problems or you're intoxicated.

--
    BOBBY LIGHTCYCLES MCFADDEN
    ROAD SAFETY EXPERT
  • Cunobelin
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Time to accept that ____ _______ is genuinely trying to make the roads safer for every type of user, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Exactly the opposite!

Love the debating style - Agree with the "Messiah", or you have mental problems!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">And how can anyone here be so passionately in favour of speed cameras when they only came in 15 years ago? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Or how can we be so passionately in support of ABS, air bags, impact zones, breathalyzers, all of which are "recent additions"

The basic difference is that there is peer reviewed evidence in favour of speed cameras, and a website full of spurious, unsubstantiated and non peer reviewed claims which have all been torn apart on numerous occasions.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Jaded
    It seriously thinks that the number of words on a site is a measure of its importance and relevance to Road Safety? Astonishing.

It doesn't think that ____ _______ is obsessed with one thing - Speed Cameras. It obviously hasn't had a look at his Press Releases. Apart from a few Anti-Welsh Police in that and the occasional Anti-Congestion Charge (Road Safety or persecution complex?) that are all shrill screaming rants against Speed Cameras.

Yes, one page. One page that encourages perversion of the course of justice, one despicable, foul, insensitive and scurrilous page does damage the whole site, the man and his rants. It matters not that it is no longer there. What matters is that he tries to hide from its existence and <b>he still agrees with the content</b>.

He needs to publicly apologise for the suggestions and move on.

Until then, he is the man that wants your Granddad to get a speeding ticket in his coffin.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • Don't feed the Troll.
    It will be off soon enough to talk to itself (precious) about how those nasty boys and girls would not talk to it.

He's NOT here to have those "questions" answered. Remember that.
  • Jaded
    Yes, that was my last contribution to the thread Apart from this, of course! Just to ensure that there is a balance.

--
  • nortones2
    nortones2 Posts: 208
    His article in the DT is not very convincing to say the least. major risibility is the claim to have studied road safety for 6 years. Only output is a series of press releases - no independent review of his claims. Typical monomaniac. The discussion group in HJ are giving the issue a thorough workover, and PS line is not going down too well, which is to be relished!
  • Hmm, what about this then?

For those who may not be bothered to read down to the bottom, you should be aware of the last paragraph.
    <b>"In all but a few cases, speed cameras are not present on these stretches." </b>

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    LOL, I can imagine PS spitting blood over that news article. Speed cameras do increase safety, now we need a lot more of them, and for them to be hidden/concealed and not visibile. Also a whole lot of mobile ones so invalidating the GPS speed camera databases.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Being a new boy, I'd just like to stress that I am not a SafeSpeed poster (too good a driver, nil points[8D]), but all the discussions on here have really got me thinking.

"Speed cameras do increase safety, now we need a lot more of them"

Health and Safety, Risk Assessment and Statistical Analysis is something I have done (and do) professionally, so I have been looking at the <b>raw data</b> (never trust a stats man[;)]) available from the .gov.co.uk websites, and it seems that in the past few years deaths on the road have remained fairly static.
    I just wondered on what basis the above quoted opinion was formed?

Never looked at the big picture before, always been content with keeping me (and my passengers) out of harms way, which I have done (touch wood!) with great success.[:)]

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Trollcp
    Trollcp Posts: 14
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MattBlackBigBoysBMX</i>

it seems that in the past few years deaths on the road have remained fairly static.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Traffic up.
    Deaths static.
    Safety increased.

Simple.

I'll go back under my bridge now.
    I\'ll go back under my bridge now.
  • That would assume that advancement in the safety aspect of car design has had no effect though?

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Cunobelin
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">and it seems that in the past few years deaths on the road have remained fairly static.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There are a whole load of reasons why.

For instance, car design - with improved brakes, tyres etc why do we now have anti skid surfaces at junctions, unless either there is risk compensation in play and the junctions are again being approached at speeds where the vehicle is unable to stop without the assistance of a special surface?

Traffic numbers have also increased as has the number of vulnerable users.

Finally improved reporting, and closer correlation between medical and Police assessment have had apart to play.

This is why the simplistic "I hate cameras" and will bias my evidence to this whatever the actual evidence could show is so dangerous.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • nortones2
    nortones2 Posts: 208
    The real cost of running legally is lower than ever, but running a car illegally is incentivised by the courts, so the number of motorists, particularly deviant motorists, has risen. To keep KSI figures static might be considered some achievement! I happen to believe the static cameras are not especially effective, (commercial drivers radar detectors etc) and would replace them with covert cameras, together with traffic police reinforcement. Uncertainty would be an incentive not to drive on auto-pilot. I'd also add that given the impersonation trend with driving tests, an inability to read and speak the language should be viewed with great suspicion. Beats me how you can have passed the test, let alone read and absorb the Highway code, if you can't speak the language.
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Troll</i>

Traffic up.
    Deaths static.
    Safety increased.

Simple.

Motor traffic is up, and the increasing danger this presents has resulted in a dramatic drop in road use by vulnerable users, some users are even banned by law at certain locations.
    The relationship between road deaths and road safety is not as simple as you would suggest.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MattBlackBigBoysBMX</i>

and it seems that in the past few years deaths on the road have remained fairly static.

I haven't bothered to look this up but,
    Anecdotally, death and injury to vehicle occupants is down - due to improved safety measures designed to keep drivers and passenger from killing themselves. So if the general trend for "deaths on the road" is static, there must be an increase in deaths amounst those people involved who are not in the vehicle.

--
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Go to the crap speed website and search on the word "nazi".

The forum, moderated by the man who claims to be a road safety "expert" but declines to list his qualifications or submit a single word oh his "research" to scrutiny, is full of drivers calling traffic wardens, the police and proper road safety groups vile names. Nazis, little Hitlers, the stasi.

These are the bleatings of criminals upset at their law breaking being curtailed.

As if that weren't bad enough, Small Piuth and his toady acolytes actively try to supress criticism of their misguided campaign.

They threaten posters who disagree, they send abusive emails to Future staff and they boast of closing down forums that do not swallow the crapspeed agenda. There are some very unpleasant, twisted people over there.

Try for yourself, pop over and ask what Small Pith's qualifications are, why his complaint the the PCC failed after Small Pith defended death threats to Mary Williams, ask why he allows people pretending to be police officers to post on his forum, ask why he allows posts on his forum that call critics of the campaign mentally ill, or terrorists.

He's an irrelevance, but he actively campaigns to make the roads more dangerous, witness the "jokes" on his forum about killing cyclists.

Small Pith has blood on his hands, he literally campaigns for death.
  • rothbook
    Comment added:

Why is this man in the paper?

Smith runs an obscure website that has a forum where members of his campaign "joke" about killing cyclists and call traffic wardens "nazis".

He is a self-publicising buffoon and giving him publicity like this makes the roads more dangerous as speeders are bolstered by what is in effect an apologist for law-breaking.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>
    ..speeders are bolstered by what is in effect an apologist for law-breaking.

I agree with that 100%. I also struggle to disagree with the DT piece.

PS does nothing to discourage habitual, intentional speeders, and often seems to encourage them - like providing a forum for them.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Comment added:

Why is this man in the paper?

Smith runs an obscure website that has a forum where members of his campaign "joke" about killing cyclists and call traffic wardens "nazis".

He is a self-publicising buffoon and giving him publicity like this makes the roads more dangerous as speeders are bolstered by what is in effect an apologist for law-breaking.

When the article appears in the Torygraph, write to the editor and the letters page voicing your anger - I know I will!

there's no such thing as steep hills - just the wrong gear

a serious case of small cogs
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bloke on a bike</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MattBlackBigBoysBMX</i>

and it seems that in the past few years deaths on the road have remained fairly static.

I haven't bothered to look this up but,
    Anecdotally, death and injury to vehicle occupants is down - due to improved safety measures designed to keep drivers and passenger from killing themselves. So if the general trend for "deaths on the road" is static, there must be an increase in deaths amounst those people involved who are not in the vehicle.

--

Having another look through the stats and searching for trends, it seems that fatalities amongst pedestrians and cyclists is actually decreasing, I would imagine mainly due to car manufacturers now making cars safer not only for their occupants but also for whoever is bouncing off the bonnet. I would also imagine that helmet use amongst cyclists is on the gradual increase.
    It looks like our organ-donating motorcycling friends are partially responsible for keeping the numbers up, possibly due to the increases of road users.
    Note that I am only looking at fatalities, not injuries, as I have heard that official definitions of what constitutes a serious injury may have changed, which would introduce huge bias.

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • rothbook
    Oh dear, further humiliation for Small Pith::

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainfram ... akfast_sun

1 hour 24 minutes in.

Chief Constable of South Yorks rips Small Pith apart:

"An organisation of less than 3000 people, the only people who agree with the crapseed campaign are your members. The AA had more members than Crapspeed by 1914!"

Small Pith is hopping made but it's his own fault, whenever he dares pop his head above the parepet and speak publicly he makes an utter ass of himself!

He no longer posts on Google groups because he was laughed off the forum.

He ran away from this forum after his lies were exposed about the perversion of justice he encouraged.

He bans anyone who disagrees with him from his forum of nodding dogs.

He censors posts that highlight his muddled thinking and actually had the sheer nerve to go into a critic's post on the crapspeed forum
    AND EDITED THE POST TO CHANGE THE MEANING!

What's he so terrified of?
  • Anonymous
    What are you so terrified of?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Chief Constable of South Yorks rips Small Pith apart:

"An organisation of less than 3000 people, the only people who agree with the crapseed campaign are your members. The AA had more members than Crapspeed by 1914!"

Which AA is this? There are only about 5 people at the meetings I go to. [:I]
  • toontra
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitley</i>

Oh, another minion of the pathetic ponytail. Why are they suddenly popping up all over the place.

• Anonymous
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Troll</i>

it seems that in the past few years deaths on the road have remained fairly static.

Traffic up.
    Deaths static.
    Safety increased.

Simple.

<b>I'll go back under my bridge now.</b>

Good idea Jaded.
  • Cunobelin
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> What are you so terrified of?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Spiders?

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by toontra</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitley</i>

Oh, another minion of the pathetic ponytail. Why are they suddenly popping up all over the place.

Oi!
    Lay off the ponytail!
    What's your problem, baldness?[:p]

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • toontra

Oi!
    Lay off the ponytail!
    What's your problem, baldness?[:p]

Wheelies ARE cool.

My problem is one of taste! [;)]