Smithfield Nocturne -brilliant!!

aztecboy
aztecboy Posts: 384
edited June 2007 in Pro race
Just back home in Suffolk after standing on the finish line for 5 hours watching an enthralling evening of crit racing.
Chapeau Rahpa/Condor - well done!

Marred only by a horrible multiple crash right in front of us in the Regional A race. I think it was Sam Fensterham who looked really badly injured and went off to hospital - has anyone heard how he is?

aztecboy
aztecboy

Comments

• laurencecp
    laurencecp Posts: 3,866
    i saw the crash too - sickening. been looking for news, but unable to find any.

great evening though, should be a regular event!

L

<font size="1">"When the earth is ripe all the worms wake up, with their stars 'n' stripes and their swastikas"
    "I may not go to heaven, i hope you go to hell" </font id="size1">
    <font>"When the earth is ripe all the worms wake up, with their stars \'n\' stripes and their swastikas"
    "I may not go to heaven, i hope you go to hell" </font>
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    I've heard he's talking but has a bit of a nasty head wound. I came down in that crash but managed to get back on quickly, only to have another pair of riders crash right in front of me on the bottom of the course on the penultimate lap. By the time I got around them I'd lost contact, but managed to fight it out for 10th. Hope this kind of event becomes more regular now - good crowds and a lot of fun all round!
  • xover_runner
    xover_runner Posts: 228
    It was brilliant event, only the couriers race was a bit confusing - not sure what that was all about. But the elite race was fantastic, wet course, solo breakaway, very committed riders. Also saw the crash in the first race right in front of me by the start line. He did look in a bad way - hope is on the mend.

BTW - Did anyone else think it strange they were asking for First Aid volunteers from the crowd to deal with the other injuries from that crash?
  • geeteecp
    geeteecp Posts: 22
    I was involved in the crash so here is my story of the "brilliant" night..

First of all my thoughts go out to Sam and his family, here's to a speedy recovery, as I can gather from (unconfirmed) reports he is talking in hospital, but boy did it look bad. I was on the tail end of the lead bunch when it happened, and Sam was one of the first to go down, and was then pushed into the barriers by the pile up that followed. As I saw it (and my family who were watching on the finish line) Sam's treatment at the scene was slow, he was out cold, fitting, and it took waht seemed like ages for any assistance. Luckily one of the riders who was a doctor stopped and administered first aid. If it was left to the St. Johns I dread to think what may have happened. The Lady decided to drive her ambulance the 50metres from where she was standing before even looking at him.

After Sam had been treated and taken away there were a few of us in need of first aid, I personally had petty bad road rash and asked the organisers for a first aid kit. THEY DID NOT HAVE ONE! The St. johns ambulance were nowwhere to be seen. About 5 times the call went out for a first aider on the tannoy, when actually all we needed was some wipes and melonin. Nothing. People from the crowd kept coming into the enclosure to offer their help (thanks) but still no st. Johns. Eventually after about 45minutes a first aid kit appeared... nothing useful in it!!

It was appalling. I ended up getting on my bike and riding to an ambulance station up the road. Thoses guys patched me up and sent me on my way. If I hadnt done that I would still be there now waiting for a first aid kit. I race week in week out and feel confident if i had a crash i would be seen to promptly by someone. From my point of view all that Rapha were concerned with was marketing, not the riders. If they were they would have the basics of rider safety sorted.

The course was fast and good fun, but another oversight was the barriers.. one line of the were round the wrong way.. a recipe for disaster with metal feet sticking out into the course. How can this be allowed on such a big event?

I hate to be down on what happened as I was looking forward to it as much as any race this year, but my experiences were bad. On the plus side I want to say thanks to all the riders and supporters that offered help.. you can always rely on you fellow riders at least! Special thanks to the Dulwich guys, and to Dan from sigma Rt and his girlf ( i think!) who were great.

rant over.
  • Timeless
    Timeless Posts: 1,117
    We arrived just after the crash, while the Regional A race was neutralised, and so did not get a feel for how bad it was, but I also thought it strange that they were asking for first aid help from the crowd.

As for the rest of the event, we thought it was a great night, with cycling taking centre stage. Good to see lots of people out just enjoying bike racing in various forms - plus a few beers along the way.

Agree that the courier race was a bit of a disappointment. We were really looking forward to that but it was too spread out so you never knew what was happening. All you could see was couriers riding up, stopping, getting a signature and riding off. It was impossible to know the differences between the different types of drops (we were positioned on the top corner of the course, on the penultimate bend before the finish but could hear the PA). The most interesting part of the race was simply when a courier pulled off a cool way to stop and dismount.

But the folding race made up for that because it was excellent entertainment - probably largely because of the torrential conditions at the time and the obvious determination of the riders. Chapeau to the girl in skirt, blouse and high heels!

And the elite race was something else - seriously fast and exciting stuff.

I did think that the guys from cycling tv on the PA were talking some bollox at times though!

Let's hope it's an annual event (with the wrinkles ironed out)

<font size="1">baby elephants are just so 2006... </font id="size1">
  • farrell
    farrell Posts: 1,323
    I noticed the barriers being the wrong way round.

It was a hard race and I was being cautious ( as well as suffering like a dog ). That second corner was asking for trouble - I saw some worrying moves around there even when I lost contact with the main group.

We need more races like this in the city.

Good to see other kind of racing too, shame about the attitude problem of one of the couriers when I wished him good luck. Obviously he didn't want to be seen talking to a roadie....A bit sad, but there you go.

<font color="orange">__________________________________________________</font id="orange"><h6>www.farrellart-london.co.uk

www.farrellart-london.co.uk/bike/bike.html</h6>
  • Goodpoint about the barriers, I thought they were around the wrong way as well. Watched Rob Hayles almost clip one and commented to my wife something along the lines of "That was close I heard something hit it" as he came around the corner. Very next lap he came off in the exactly same place right in front of us.

I wasnt there for the earlier race, terrible that they didnt have at the very least 3-4 first aid kits available.

"People setting the pace too fast on the front are abused to slow down. Riders that do not share the work are abused. Riders that need abuse get abused and the abuse is done in every language so they get the message"
  • I was one of crowd who responded to the call for first aiders and spoke to you (presuming you were the chap who had a party to go to, and I recommended heading home and showering?). Glad you found some assistance.

The first aid provision did seem to be a bit lacking. After the call on the tannoy I made my way into the centre and the the sign on desk, and said I was a first aider. The lady asked if I had my kit (erm no I dont really carry it around) and then said she'd thought I should have been wearing something to identify me as a first aider. I pointed out I was just a spectator trying to help rather than any official first aider and she pointed me in the direction of the injured rider.

I'm sorry there was nothing much I could do for you!

That aside I enjoyed myself. Quite a lot in fact. So much so that I'm sitting in my dressing gown at 1215 rather than being out on the bike...

Rob

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by geetee</i>

I was involved in the crash so here is my story of the "brilliant" night..

First of all my thoughts go out to Sam and his family, here's to a speedy recovery, as I can gather from (unconfirmed) reports he is talking in hospital, but boy did it look bad. I was on the tail end of the lead bunch when it happened, and Sam was one of the first to go down, and was then pushed into the barriers by the pile up that followed. As I saw it (and my family who were watching on the finish line) Sam's treatment at the scene was slow, he was out cold, fitting, and it took waht seemed like ages for any assistance. Luckily one of the riders who was a doctor stopped and administered first aid. If it was left to the St. Johns I dread to think what may have happened. The Lady decided to drive her ambulance the 50metres from where she was standing before even looking at him.

After Sam had been treated and taken away there were a few of us in need of first aid, I personally had petty bad road rash and asked the organisers for a first aid kit. THEY DID NOT HAVE ONE! The St. johns ambulance were nowwhere to be seen. About 5 times the call went out for a first aider on the tannoy, when actually all we needed was some wipes and melonin. Nothing. People from the crowd kept coming into the enclosure to offer their help (thanks) but still no st. Johns. Eventually after about 45minutes a first aid kit appeared... nothing useful in it!!

It was appalling. I ended up getting on my bike and riding to an ambulance station up the road. Thoses guys patched me up and sent me on my way. If I hadnt done that I would still be there now waiting for a first aid kit. I race week in week out and feel confident if i had a crash i would be seen to promptly by someone. From my point of view all that Rapha were concerned with was marketing, not the riders. If they were they would have the basics of rider safety sorted.

The course was fast and good fun, but another oversight was the barriers.. one line of the were round the wrong way.. a recipe for disaster with metal feet sticking out into the course. How can this be allowed on such a big event?

I hate to be down on what happened as I was looking forward to it as much as any race this year, but my experiences were bad. On the plus side I want to say thanks to all the riders and supporters that offered help.. you can always rely on you fellow riders at least! Special thanks to the Dulwich guys, and to Dan from sigma Rt and his girlf ( i think!) who were great.

rant over.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
  • geeteecp
    geeteecp Posts: 22
    Rob, thanks! like i said it was great to see so many people willing to help, just a shame they had to resort to that rather than sorting out the provision of first aid thenselves!

I ended up going to that party and found that beer makes an extremely effective painkiller!!

Thanks again, your offer of help was very much appreciated.
  • I got there after the race with the crash. If the First Aid provision was so dreadful, did no-one realise that Barts Hospital is on the course?
    I suppose Barts no longer has an A+E - I just checked it has a minor injuries unit, which is not be open at the weekend. Bit sad really that someone could be seriously injured with a major hospital within 100 yards and still wait for treatment.

Re. St Johns Ambulance - they had a huge tent at the end of last years London to Brighton. After a day in the sun, I had a splitting headache and as far as I'm concerned a bit of sunstroke. I asked for a couple of paracetamol - no go. "Cannot give you drugs". Then ffs what use are you at all? You can buy paracetamol in a corner shop.
  • While we're at it, here's something else which narked me at the Noctourne - the "corporate hospitality is paramount" and "those and such as those" attitude.
    As anyone who was there will know, an enormous thundery rainshower came on suddenly. Everyone outside got a soaking. There was a pregnant woman near me, with her partner, who was almost in tears. Little I could do except recommend she went into the pub, which she decided against.

What harm would it have done the organisers to open the barriers and let the hoi polloi shelter under the huge roof of Smithfield meat market? They were alright - the podium was underneath a glass canopy.
    And there are no security implications before anyone tries that one - that area through Smithfield market is open to pedestrians throughout the night and at the weekend, I have walked through there and all entrances are well sealed with security gates.

A few seconds thought on their part would have saved a lot of people from a chilly night.
  • Slimtim
    Slimtim Posts: 1,042
    I went with a couple of mates and we enjoyed a beer watching the racing. I have a few suggestions for improvements if anyone from Rapha is interested and want to PM me.

We were also amazed by the lack of medical staff - and amused by the 'lost' Rapha girls at the end.....where were they I wonder?
  • Timeless
    Timeless Posts: 1,117
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Slimtim</i>

and amused by the 'lost' Rapha girls at the end.....where were they I wonder?

I can tell you exactly where they were. They were sitting cross legged on a table out of sight under the Smithfield market, stuffing their faces with a chinese from take away boxes!!

Me and my mates got into the VIP area after they finally let people take shelter under the market rather than disappear into the pubs - ands we then kind of stayed there, right next to the finish line. One of my mates was going to take a pic of Rob Hayles in the riders area after he had to retire, but thought better of it as the look on his face said that he was not a happy bunny.

• jimbo1964
    jimbo1964 Posts: 770
    I thought it was a great night of entertainment. It sounds like there are a few problems to sort out for next time (I hope there will be another).

The courier race was poor entertainment for all the reasons already mentioned.. but it has the potential to be great fun (more riding and less hopping off and on bikes). The elite race was fantastic - hats off to all the riders involved.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Who rode the "old pros" race?
  • laurencecp
    i did think it was odd and slightly off, that joe public couldn't go 'inside' the circuit where the market was. i can understand wanting to keep an area clear for riders and vips, but the whole area? even the Tour of Britain had less restricted area than that.

other than that... my main gripe was my fave curry shop wasn't open (i work in the area and go there to get lunch). shame as they would have been very popular with their takeaways. ended up going to the chinese place which is overpriced for what you get.

here's to next year!

<font size="1">"When the earth is ripe all the worms wake up, with their stars 'n' stripes and their swastikas"
    <font>"When the earth is ripe all the worms wake up, with their stars \'n\' stripes and their swastikas"
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    Spectators were let in the the central area during the downpour, at least at the NE corner of the circuit. The problem was that on such a short course with so many blind sections it wasn't possible to operate a manned crossing during the races - once the riders started then those inside the market needed to stay there.

I missed the crash, was confused with the Courier Race, and enjoyed the folding bikes. Having the competitors wear suits was a brilliant stroke. We had to leave before the end as we had a table booked for dinner, but it was the GF's first bike race and she loved it. I think Warrick Spence has a new member in his fan club!

<hr noshade size="1">
    'Cause I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    And I'm really built for speed
    Built for speed
  • No problem - glad the alcohol helped with the pain! :-)

Rob

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by geetee</i>

Rob, thanks! like i said it was great to see so many people willing to help, just a shame they had to resort to that rather than sorting out the provision of first aid thenselves!

I ended up going to that party and found that beer makes an extremely effective painkiller!!

Thanks again, your offer of help was very much appreciated.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Let's remember that Smithfield is a working market and as such had a bunch of restrictions that they had to work around - eg no food on the market site - which might be one reason to explain why it was easier to have the spectators on the outer side of the circuit. Plus I imagine it's pretty difficult to get the Corporation of London to agree to any road closures in the first place.

I thought it was a great evening's riding and the talk is that next year they want to make it a post-Tour crit to get the big names in. Imagine what it could be like getting top names and a big publicity caravan working the course. I really hope it happens.

Riding the Folding Bikes race was brilliant fun and I thought it helped get people in the mood again despite the rain and the courier race confusion. It was great to hear the cheers as we belted round in the rain and the experience of racing in front of a proper crowd is awesome.

The butcher who was in the press call photos told me he's hoping to persuade them to do a butcher's bike race next year which would be quite a spectacle. Throw in a decent junior race, women's and a bit of work on some of the minor weaknesses in the organising and it will be an event London can be proud of.

http://www.atomicecho.com/cycling/index.shtml - My cycling blog. From commuting to crits and sportives.
  • bus
    bus Posts: 145
    Well we were both up there (ian and joanna) and as we walked around the area about 1 hour before the off, we were both amazed at the number of St johns ambulance people around the area, we saw over 100 of them, from ages 6-60- loads of 'em, p'raps there was a conference or something?
    First aid kits as a rule don't really contain items for "minor"injuries they are usually for stopping bleeding, immobilising breaks,wipes are usually for sterilising scissors and these would sting like mad if you used them for wiping skin.
    Maybe a kit for road racing injury should be availiable for first aiders on these sort of events.
    A great night out tho, we had a second place rider, Go ACC!

..they broke the mould before they made him...
    ..they broke the mould before they made him...
  • Bus, I'm sorry but I have to say this. If I was seriously injured I hope to God that an ambulance turns up sharpish. If these St Johns people really do have serious kit like that they are playing themselves, as the Glaswegian vernacular goes.

IMHO (of course) St Johns should be there for dealing with fainting, sunburn, skint knees, and as in this thread road rash.
    If someone falls and is knocked unconcious the priority should be getting an ambulance with paramedics on scene soonest.

Apologising to Bus - no insult to you intended.
  • aztecboy
    Has anyone heard how Sam is?
    I am sure that I echo the sentiments of everyone in wishing him a speedy recovery.

aztecboy
    aztecboy
  • St Johns Ambulance HQ is 110m from the circuit. There are often a lot of St Johns people around the area, but clearly not at the right time!

I attended, thought it was a great event, hopefully any lessons that need to be learned will be and I'm looking forward to next year.

For those who didn't fancy œ100 a head corporate hospitality provided by Smiths of Smithfield you could have tried Smiths of Smithfield table for two, great meal and wine œ45 a head.

All round a great result.
  • drhaddock
    drhaddock Posts: 664
    Latest from the smithfield nocturne website: 'We would also like to report that Sam, who crashed badly in the Regional A race, is making a good recovery.'

I enjoyed the event, but turned up late and am a bit shocked to hear how slack the first aid was. Just looking at the course it was obvious that a few crashes were on the cards.

My main gripe (from a spectators perspective) was the lack of caterers selling stuff to take away. I didn't want to sit down for a meal and miss the racing! I ended up in the Mosquito Bikes tent during the downpour, which was ok for a bit but you can only ogle a Pegoretti for so long...

Really hope it happens again next year though, with the problems of this year ironed out of course.

Doc
  • aztecboy
    Just found this message from Alan Denman on http://londoncyclesport.com/forum/forum ... 62&SP=&V=1

"We stayed at the hospital with the crashed rider Sam Fensterheim untill very late and he was sorted in a ward and asleep. All was okay in the end and the feared fractured skull that was being talked about at the scene was thankfully not the case. He had a nasty bang on the side of his head but the CT scan was all clear, no broken bones either. They wanted to keep him in overnight for observation as he had been fitting. He is due to br released today.
    Our thanks to the guy from High Wycombe CC who stepped in and made sure Sam was dealt with ok."

Looks like Sam is OK. Thank God for that - it was a truly awful crash to witness.

aztecboy
    aztecboy
  • I'm really pleased to hear it. Sam is a great lad and I was very upset to hear about the crash.

Sam - if you're reading this I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you back on your bike soon.

James
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Slightly off-topic, but as a rider, I always carry a 'first-aid' kit in my kit bag containing wipes and sterile dressings because crashing in a bike race is kind of inevitable - luckily I've never had to use it, but it's nice to know it's there.
  • I brought my son with me to watch, both had a great night, main gripe would be lack of portaloos and mobile catering, with my 9 year old I didn't fancy going into a pub (also missing the race) and the restaurants around there weren't in the business of providing cheap take away vegetarian food for children (i.e. restaurants too expensive and food aimed at adults dining out - not surprising though). Otherwsie the racing was very entertaining, pity the couriers race was a bit confusing but we still enjoyed it as it seemed to settle down in the latter half. next year I woudl think about bringing the whole family into watch it. I don't fancy racing it myself after hearing about the number of crashes, think I'll stick to CP.

On the 8th day God made a bicycle, and he saw that it was good. (actually personally he thought it was his best invention yet)
  • laurencecp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aztecboy</i>

Just found this message from Alan Denman on http://londoncyclesport.com/forum/forum ... 62&SP=&V=1

"Our thanks to the guy from High Wycombe CC who stepped in and made sure Sam was dealt with ok."

Hats off to that man from High Wycombe - he stepped straight in and tended to Sam and even told the St John's peeps what to do. he even helped load him onto the stretcher and checked everything was ok before they took him off. Chapeau!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drhaddock</i>

you can only ogle a Pegoretti for so long...

Doc

i beg to differ.

L