Have you been out today?

velocitizen
velocitizen Posts: 327
..After being put off by the BBC weather forecast and passing on Glastonbury tickets, as well as cancelling a ride out with Frenchie, today dawned nice and bright.
An early start and out through Long Eaton- Breaston- Borrowash, having no road bike at present I was on my Slicked up Orange P7, which made following the riverside path to Derby easier, what a city! All those buildings by the river boarded up, a squatters paradise, the riverside path sort of disappeared or at least the signs did, so I followed the front wheel across a nice big park, declined the offer to check out the Herbaceous borders and before you know it I was out onto the A6 and over the ring road.
Nice pace on the A6, thinking how it would be easier on skinny wheels, and wishing a chain gang would come along and give some shelter from the head wind and drag me along. All this day-dreaming came to an end at Allestree Park, with an Owl dead in the gutter, onwards through Milford- Belper and into Ambergate when with a clatter of gears and chains a bunch pass me and I try to hang on.
Turns out its V.C. Long Eaton, unfortunately most stop at Ambergate caf‚, I carry on with a bloke in their club kit and try to keep his pace to Matlock at which point I am glad to head into the Park for a lie down and a snack, whilst he heads off up to Tansley.
A slower paced ride back through Matlock to Cromford and onto Lea Bridge and the climb to Crich stopping for flapjack at Alsop's Bakery, then down to Bullbridge, up to Heage, Horsley, Stanley, Smalley and through Stanton Dale and Risley, then back through Long Eaton and home for lunch, about 65 miles in 4 and ó hours, and a pootle with the Tag-along on the back with the kids in the afternoon. Lovely.

http://www.myspace.com/velocitizen
BeestonCC Sportive
Sunday 24th June 2012
Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/

Comments

• Yes. But far less adventurous/energetic!

Just over 20, keeping up what passes for fit for the GNBR tomorrow. It'll be the first 50 miles I've done since last years event! I'm quietly confident that the '94 Kona SEX ONE will waft me gently around in full sus comfort!

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Yep, me and my 7 year-old decided to go for a spin as it was a nice sunny afternoon...until we got the bikes out of the garage. It then pi55ed down for the next 2 hours. When we got back home (soaked and cold)...the sun came out again.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • sarkmeister
    sarkmeister Posts: 142
    Im also doing the GNBR tomorrow, so just did a shortish warm up (18 miles). Main aim to was to find the best route to Holme Pierrepoint.

Good look tomorrow. Its my first long ride since London to Brighton 2 years ago.
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I was out on the chaingang veloc - it's a mix of VCLE, Derby Merc and other local riders - lovely day wasn't it, well a lot better than the forecast.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • paulgw
    paulgw Posts: 135
    I did an easy 35 miles up to Bolton Abbey and back. It's a popular route and there were quite a few others out. The wind was terrible going up the valley though although at least it didn't rain.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    I did a 50 between Kingston-U-T and Windsor , then got back just before the rains came .......... smug or what?

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • I did a hard 2 hrs in Richmond Park. Only spent 14% in recovery, the rest at threshold and tempo. Finally got my ave spd up to 34Km/hr by myself for the whole ride.

"People setting the pace too fast on the front are abused to slow down. Riders that do not share the work are abused. Riders that need abuse get abused and the abuse is done in every language so they get the message"
  • velocitizen
    velocitizen Posts: 327
    Good luck to all those on The Great Nottingham Bike Ride today.
    Tom, that chaingang looks like fun, do you go out on Tuesday or Thursday evenings with them or just the Saturday run? I am very tempted to give it a go and see how long I last.

http://www.myspace.com/velocitizen
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • paul_bhoy
    paul_bhoy Posts: 70
    Went out this morning at eight, lashing down, had to take the old spectacles off to see where I was going. Need to invest in some windscreen wipers for them I think. Came back in early right enough

The beer always wins
    The beer always wins
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paul_bhoy</i>

Went out this morning at eight, lashing down, had to take the old spectacles off to see where I was going. Need to invest in some windscreen wipers for them I think. Came back in early right enough

The beer always wins
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    This morning was 72 miles in continuous drizzle with frequent lashing downpours. And it was cold and windy [:(!]

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No I'm a wimp as it was raining
    but a dry wimp[:D]

Non Omnis Moriar
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    VeloC - yes I sometimes do the Tuesday/Thurs one - tends to be a slightly different crowd to the Saturday and more of a traditional type chain gang whereas Saturday is more of a a chaotic unofficial race at times - which some people like and others may not. I think on a tuesday there is a fast chain gang at 6.45 and a brisk one at 7 both from Leisure Lakes - I'm not 100% certain if the same applies on Thursdays.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Aunty Rubbish
    Aunty Rubbish Posts: 1,010
    The Nello/Force ride from Topsham. Grim, grey, grisly weather but we still managed 77.38 miles. Longest ride for both of us this year and I feel just dandy [:D], especially as I was expecting to suffer like a dog.
    Tea, hot bath and veg in front of the telly for the rest of the afternoon I think [^].

<font size="4"><b><font color="red">Chuffy</font id="red"></b></font id="size4">
  • Robsbc
    Robsbc Posts: 27
    Yep was out on Saturday....And was caught in the rain for most of the ride in the Surrey hills. Most of the roads were covered in debris & big puddles in places. Had real trouble with grip getting up some of the climbs.

Rob
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    The V.C. Sevale were out in the rain today. We did about 65 miles down to the Forest of Dean and back at an [un] healthy 16.5 mph.. My legs are a bit sore. Its hard work riding in waterproofs and the bike weighs more due to mudguards and a bag with extra odds and ends that go with wet weather pedalling. Oh well ..... good training I spose [:)]

Club rides are for sheep
    Club rides are for sheep
  • stompy
    stompy Posts: 11
    Rode to Brighton with Lewisham Cyclists. 60 miles and it rained all the the time, particularly bad getting into Brighton.

Way outside my comfort zone, compared with my 6.5 mile round trip commute. But, despite the soreness, I feel immensely proud of myself.

Must buy myself a proper waterproof jacket though.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Stompy - check out the Gore PacLite in Hi Viz. yellow (unfortunately, in their infinite wisdom, with black arms) - Stuck loads of reflective "3M/Respro presure tape" over the back of mine and on the tops of the arms above the elbows.
    There were two of us looking like twins on our Audaxers, wearing them this weekend!

Hey Rob, wasn't that awesome weather in the N.Downs this weekend.
    That was hardcore!
    I missed the Saturday drenching (organising a party), however rode the near constant rain on Sunday.
    You got a visor on your skid lid?
    Kept the worst of the rain off my eyewear.
    Plenty of water to keep the brake blocks cool!

Bits of muck piled an inch and a half deep on the road in places complete with 3 inch cubed bits of rock on Leith Hill at the top of the ascent from the Ockley side, streams running down the roads, puddles up to halfway across the roads.
    Managed a nice tail-slide round the hairpin at Denbies, whilst chugging down at under 15mph! (Thankfully riding my rock solid Audaxer).
    Nearly missed my left turn up by the windmill atop Peaslake....
    Wow that was greasy - Most slippery conditions this year!
    I reckon the muck and grease suffered from a summer build-up.

Was your bike coated in a uniform grey clay-like substance? Could hear the poor old rims being scoured on the trek round. Looked like I'd been off-roading.

Fortunately survived without a p*ncture. You too I trust?

Thankfully no wind. Wasn't that bad whilst out riding.

What a contrast to last Sunday when Box Hill was full of sunbathing cyclists, and the cafe full or riders - There were c.6 of us at the top.
    One very cold looking first timer out with the Kingston Wheelers.
    Big Hello to Kingston Wheelers and the intrepid Ealing LeJog trainer on the cool looking Roberts Audax - complete with baggage!

Which way did you head back? I went back out via Rusper then across towards Capel. Looking to perhaps add another 10 to my Box Hill 50 next weekend in that area.

I pulled a terrible time. Thought I'd do quite well on the empty roads.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    well i've only been in this game for nearly 4 months and can quite catergorically(sp?) state that i am hooked !!!

6 weeks ago,me and a mate did 21 miles(my first time) in a time of 2hours avg speed of 12mph and by the end I was totally out of breath,wheezing,coughing and crashed to the floor !!! and had to climb off the bike and up a hill !!!

this saturday none of that went round in 1hr 28mins avg speed of 13.9mph climbed the hills with only 1 moan or two[B)]and no side effects !!!! felt really good and want more !!!!!

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!