Who wears Yellow?

Cunobelin
Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
edited June 2007 in Campaign
(Originally posted this in "Race", but then thought about it and moved it here....)

Interesting Poll from Cycling Weekly -

Who should wear the No 1 and yellow jersey at the start of the Prologue:

31 % - Oscar Pereiro (2nd last year)
5% - Floyd Landis
6% - Roger Hammond
33% - No-one
13% - Lance Armstrong
13% - Don't care

Any thoughts or comments?

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
He that buys flesh buys many bones.
He that buys eggs buys many shells,
But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
(Unattributed Trad.)
<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
He that buys flesh buys many bones.
He that buys eggs buys many shells,
But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
(Unattributed Trad.)

Comments

• Sub3_99
    Sub3_99 Posts: 1,591
    No-one

Last years winner is not riding.

Unless of course Landis is found guilty before July 7th, stripped of his title and Pereiro handed the win, in which case Pereiro should be in yellow & wear the number 1.

There is an interesting question to be answered though. How is it decided which team gets the numbers 1-9 if the previous years winner isn't riding and the team of the previous years winner no longer exists? I'd guess the winner of the previous years team competition should get that honour. If they choose instead the team of the second placed rider from last years tour I guess Valverde will wear the number 1 as team leader.
  • In '88 when the previous years winner, Stephen Roche didn't ride his Carrera team mate Zimmerman wore number 1. In '87 he had worn 12 and Roche as team leader wore 11.

A bit different this year as there is no Phonak.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    Add another "don't care" to the list.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    [:0]

• Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    No one really, until after the prologue. Otherwise it hasn't been earned as such. I remember one year there was a number zero in formula one. Last years winner wasn't driving so his old winning team's new leader was given a zero instead of a one.
  • I should wear it. no idea why but ill ask somebody

beow
    beow
  • jonpcp
    jonpcp Posts: 2,028
    Mal Volio?

<font size="1">Scenic commute!</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Scenic commute!</font id="size1">
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I thought Who was on first.
  • Alan H
    Alan H Posts: 159
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

What?
  • I think it should be given to the first really nice person who asks for it.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Make that two. Haven't the last three Grand Tours all been "won" by cheats?
  • At the risk of sounding controversial, wouldn't it be a lot easier if they just made taking drugs legal? They're not illegal* drugs anyway - it's not like any of them are riding while off their tits on gange. They could alternatively go all the way and say everyone has to eat precisely the same number of grams of protein and carbohydrates leading up to the race, everyone has to be exactly the same weight, but would it just not be a lot more fun if they said 'as long as you haven't got an internal combustion engine, you're in'?

* illegal as in <i>generally</i> illegal, rather than sporting-wise illegal
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by formerlyknownasbonj</i>

At the risk of sounding controversial, wouldn't it be a lot easier if they just made taking drugs legal? They're not illegal* drugs anyway - it's not like any of them are riding while off their tits on gange. They could alternatively go all the way and say everyone has to eat precisely the same number of grams of protein and carbohydrates leading up to the race, everyone has to be exactly the same weight, but would it just not be a lot more fun if they said 'as long as you haven't got an internal combustion engine, you're in'?

* illegal as in <i>generally</i> illegal, rather than sporting-wise illegal
    Ask the families of the riders who died after taking EPO. If doping was made legal then it would be impossible to compete if you wanted to remain clean and not risk your health. There are countless cases of long term disability and early death among athletes from the former East Germany where systematic doping was sanctioned by the state.

• Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    The problem is that the authorities are always playing a catch-up game. They can't possibly test for all performance enhancing drugs, which basically means that for most riders (I believe that most of them take drugs in one form or another) the sport is a lottery.

If they want to remove drugs from the Tour, the best way is probably to lock the athletes up each night, and for them only to be fed/watered by Tour organisers.

Its a shame really, the spectre of drugs makes a gruelling race look like a joke. I used to watch Miguel Indurain with astonishment, now I have to admit I'm wondering how much of it was real.
  • andyoxon
    andyoxon Posts: 2,205
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

and another... I've also lost a fair bit of interest in TdF. IMO it's credibility will take a while to come back too...

Andy

--- Beware of 'all things being equal' - because very often they are not. ---
    --- Beware of \'all things being equal\' - because very often they are not. ---
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    Yello is a difficult colour to wear, so I would suggest the darkest skinned person should wear it as it would go best with their skin. Don't even dream of giving it to a pasty white skin type as it will do them no favours.
  • Noodley
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alan H</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

What?

no, what's on second. who's on first. (And before you ask) I Don't Know is on third.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Who wears Yellow?

The Brzillian Football Team

22nd March can't come soon enough, neither can 26th May 2007

Carbon Footprint what Carbon Footprint?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Noodley
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spen666</i>

Who wears Yellow?

The Brzillian Football Team

22nd March can't come soon enough, neither can 26th May 2007

Carbon Footprint what Carbon Footprint?

Who's on first, he doesn't wear yellow.