bar end shifters

star_rover
star_rover Posts: 318
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Quick question I hope.
I want to swap my current flat bar w/ trigger shifters for a drop bar with Bar-end shifters. Current set up is all Deore.
Is this an straight-forward job, or should I leave it to the LBS?
Anything obvious I might not be considering?
cheers in advance

Comments

• pretty straight forward job, if your competent. if you can set up the mechs you shuld be fine
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    I have just done an identical project, I converted a Marin Mill Valley, straight bars 10 speed to On-One Midge bar with Dura Ace 10 spd bar end shifters and some cross top brake levers. Was easy-peasy, no problems at all once I had all the parts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Suzuki aerio specifications
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    thanks.
    Think I'll give it a go . . .
  • CraigUKcp
    CraigUKcp Posts: 1,209
    Star Rover, are you going for Bar end levers to avoid the cost of buying Shimano STI levers? If this is the case then assuming you have a 9 speed setup then you can buy a new pair of 10 speed Campagnolo Mirage ergo levers for just over œ50 and then use the Shimergo trick to get them to shift perfectly. I recon at œ50 ish they come in at around the same price as Bar End levers plus additional brake levers. For info the Campag Ergos come supplied with a full cable set at this price.

<b>My Bikes</b> Van Nicholas Quest Giant MTB

My Ebay
  • Monowai
    Monowai Posts: 329
    I have some Dura-Ace 9 speed bar-end shifters for sale if interested? In good condition - less than a year old. PM or post if interested...

"Extensive medical studies now show that training is bad for you. Eat cake and rejoice!"
    Cake makes me happy