Huge driving test scam uncovered

Jaded
Jaded Posts: 6,663
edited June 2007 in Campaign
Tens of thousands of people are paying fraudsters to sit their driving test for them, the BBC has learned.

So - the pony-tailed-half-wit's advice to hide your identity is put to more use on the roads. I wonder how hypocritical his Press Release will be, once you've managed to find out what it is trying to say under all the hyperbole and outrage.

Or maybe he'll say that hiding your identity is beyond the pale, and the advice he gave was wrong?

--
<font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Wait for the "Press Release"

I really dont't understand why you see this as a problem though - it is the fault of Government Policy (having a driving test) that has forced "otherwise law abiding motorists" into these illegal actions.

Scrap the test and there would be no need to use fake identities or a staid-in to take your test for you.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Lurkercp
    Lurkercp Posts: 95
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>

Tens of thousands of people are paying fraudsters to sit their driving test for them, the BBC has learned.
    --
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Surely the 'fraudsters' in these cases are both the stand-ins and the standees (if such a word exists) (?!)
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    This problem has been going on for years. I know personally of many people who had others sit their test in the 80's and 90's for a few quid. I assumed that the photo licenses had put and end to it - if it hasn't then there is something very badly wrong with the photo license system.

The thought that thousands of people with illegal licenses, but to all intents and purposes "legal", are driving around is quite disturbing.

there's no such thing as steep hills - just the wrong gear

a serious case of small cogs
  • linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
    My kids started driving lessons a couple of weeks ago, and I sat in for a lesson so I have an idea on how to instruct her in the same manner which she is used to when she is driving with me. It was a very intense learning experience for me even as an experienced driver. taking your test is difficult for a reason !

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • What appalled me was that the penalty for getting caught was only a community sentence. On public policy grounds, my view is that people who are taking tests for other people should always get an immediate custodial sentence.
  • Why the hell wasn't he banned from driving as well?

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

What appalled me was that the penalty for getting caught was only a community sentence. On public policy grounds, my view is that people who are taking tests for other people should always get an immediate custodial sentence.

Ditto

"I'd clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Um, I think the testing staff must take some responsibility since they are supposed to check the photos of the testees. Is it really that easy to show a picture of someone else and say "Yep, that's me!"?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Um, I think the testing staff must take some responsibility since they are supposed to check the photos of the testees. Is it really that easy to show a picture of someone else and say "Yep, that's me!"?
    I reckon they're on the take. Of course, they should be failing everyone anyway, to stop any more killer criminal motorists from being entitled to use the cycleroads.