Helmet cam - help

psutton
psutton Posts: 206
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
I have the ATC 2000 helmet cam and have recorded my whole commute several times. Nothing "interesting" has ever happened. But I've never been happy with the judder on the picture despite all my best efforts at lashing the thing on with the straps etc provided. Has anyone got one of these and resolved this problem?

Also (techno numptie questions coming), until today I have been able to save my footage on my PC. I've not worked out how to edit stuff though. I have Windows XP. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Finally, yesterday I got an update of Windows Media Player and now I only seem to be able to play my footage and not to save it anywhere. Please can someone help?!

If I can sort this lot out I might have some worthwhile footage to post here sometime.

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Windows Movie Maker mate, that will edit your film. If you need to transfer your footage, simply copy it from the camera to a location on your local hard drive.

Me, I'm still having codec problems and can't seem to play or edit sound on my PC. Peeved am I.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Try downloading the ACE Mega Codec pack (Google it) That should help with most codec issues.

http://lifeonthetube.blogspot.com/
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    Media player is just that, a player. I'll second media player. You'll have it already with XP, but you might not have a shortcut in the start menu. You'll have to go to program files in the C: drive.

For the judder there's a couple of posts in the helmet cam commute sticky thread at the top of the page.
  • davidmam
    davidmam Posts: 427
    get some pipe lagging and put that round the bars or the helmet. Works for me. Also, let half the air out of your tyres (half from each, not all from one) and that will reduce the judder.

..d

Fat bloke on a bike
    Fat bloke on a bike
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    I use MS Movie maker, and it does pretty much everything I need it to. I didn't know I had it until someone on here told me... Go looking through your programs...

I don't find the judder too bad, but I'm wearing mine on my helmet, so my neck absorbs some of the bumps. I did find it a bit shaky when it was bar mounted. David's foam padding idea sounds ideal...

I know what you mean about nothing happening though. It very weird when you find yourself thinking "Oooh, I hope he's about to pull out on me, so I can film it..."

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • psutton
    psutton Posts: 206
    Thanks all. Have located Movie Maker and successfully uploaded yesterday's commutes. Takes an absolute age [:0]. Yet to try to editing stuff but will have a play around with it over the weekend. Now I need to sort the judder...
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    Yeah, it does take a while to import files. And you might find it splits files into separate clips - you can recombine them from the 'clip' menu.

You can have hours of fun trying all the transitions and effects. I find the fade is the best one - not to fussy, not too jumpy.

And then you get onto adding music... And you're a film-maker!

• Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    I just read my earlier post. Meant to say I second movie maker. That makes more sense [:I]. To get around the slow upload time get a cheap USB2 SD card reader. Works a treat.