Tyres n Pressures

nibblescp
nibblescp Posts: 15
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

Newbie question alert so apologies if I'm asking the obvious. Have got a hybrid (Claud Butler Legend, 3/4 years old), tyres are 700X40C. Now this size seems to be as rare as rocking horse u know what. So, can I drop sizes ie. 700X38C etc or do I have to swap like for like ? Any suggestions for road (commuting) tyres, are these supposed less puncture resistant tyres (Kevlar?) tyres any good ? Mine are whatever budget tyres came with the bike, "Camel" brand made in Thailand, cracked side walls and and generally looking unhealthy.

Also, what's the suggested tyre pressure for commuting ? I've always used a small hand pump and have made 40psi if I'm lucky. Tyres suggest 50 min, 70 max so I've now got a track pump and it's now laughably easy to get to 60psi. But is this too much ?

Cheers all.

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes you can change tyre width within reason. No reason why 60 should be too much - I normally put the max on whatever range is quoted.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Nibbles, I've got a CB Voyager which has same wheels as your Legend. I changed to 700 x40C Schwalbe Hurricanes recommended by my LBS. Have good puncture resistance, fairly smooth centre track for fast road use and chunkier sides for off-road use. Also reflective side wall. I run them at 65psi and use the bike for tiuring so it carries a load.

see here: http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/shop.sfxp?pag ... 42-365-451

Hi Nibbles,

You can go up to the rated pressure without problems, typically 75 psi on 700/38 etc. I've just swapped to Schwalbe Marathon Kevlar and they're great. Highly recommended. Anything that reduces your puncture frequency HAS to be a good thing.

One more cheeky climb....
    One more cheeky climb....
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    See here on Sheldon Brown's website for rim/tyre width compatibility issues:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • jamesAC
    jamesAC Posts: 117
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nibbles</i>

Hi All,
    Have got a hybrid (Claud Butler Legend, 3/4 years old), tyres are 700X40C...[snip]

[snip]... so I've now got a track pump and it's now laughably easy to get to 60psi. But is this too much ?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi nibbles: me too .. and I posted a similar q some months ago. Plenty of advice was offered, including the suggestion that I could "downsize" to, say, 700 x 38. So I did (with appropriate tube, of course).

Getting a "track" pump was a good investment for me, too: a few easy strokes and I'm up hard (fnarr fnarr). Run your tyres at the top pressure recommended: there will be less rolling resistance, and p*nct*r* resistance is also improved.

Why did Noddy pay the ransom? - Because the elephants have got big ears!

jamesAC
    Why did Noddy pay the ransom? - Because the elephants have got big ears!

jamesAC
  • mashtonian
    mashtonian Posts: 78
    My Verdestein Fortezza 23C's are rated up to 175 psi! I am not brave enough to go that high and usually run them at 120 with no issues at all.

Mmmmm, super thin, super hard, super speedy. I really like these tyres. And I have them in black and white to match my frame and bar tape.
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    nibbles, I would recommend getting thinner, harder tyres anyway if you're riding mostly on roads. 700x32 or even 700x28 will probably still fit your rims.

I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on my commuting bike - quite expensive, a bit heavy, but brilliant for puncture resistance. By the way, do invest in a track pump to make life even easier for yourself, as JamesAC recommends.
  • Jon G
    Jon G Posts: 281
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Majikthise</i>

Hi Nibbles,

You can go up to the rated pressure without problems, typically 75 psi on 700/38 etc. I've just swapped to Schwalbe Marathon Kevlar and they're great. Highly recommended. Anything that reduces your puncture frequency HAS to be a good thing.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I also use Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 x 35 at 85psi on my hybrid. I've found their puncture resistance is very good and so is their road-holding. Good tyres are definately a worthwhile investment if you ride regularly.

Jon G
  • Used a set of standard Schwalbe Marathon 700 x 35 on my Kona Dr Dew. Lasted approx 2.5 years and did a little over 10,000 miles. In that time, just the one puncture from a particularly nasty thorn (don't you just love the way country lane hedgerows are tenderly pruned!!). Gladly use them again.

When I came to change them there seemed to be a general lack of supply from Schwalbe.

So, replaced the rear with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 x 35. A bit on the heavy side, feels slower than the standard Marathon and cost more.

A couple of weeks later replaced the front with Schwalbe Marathon Racer 700 x 35. Again, not cheap but feels lighter and faster.

Had the Marathon Plus rear / Marathon Racer front for about 6 months now. Wearing well and no punctures to date. Verdict out until they have done at least 1 full winter.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mashtonian</i>

My Verdestein Fortezza 23C's are rated up to 175 psi! I am not brave enough to go that high ...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    that may well exceed the limit of the rims!
  • nibblescp
    nibblescp Posts: 15
    Well took the plunge and got 700 X 35C Dutch Perfect tyres ie. these...

http://allterraincycles.co.uk/p.php?mak ... #tyresroad

Had it in my head that my rims were 16C, turns out they are 19C. Any issues with this combination ? Tyre width not too small I hope ?