Excessive packaging from mail order/internet

MAKcp
MAKcp Posts: 28
edited June 2007 in Campaign
I've noticed a worrying trend with wiggle especially....they'll send a patch kit in a box big enough to contain a small child......I'm emailing them to ask that they think a little greener when packing for delivery....might get more action if lots of others did too

Comments

• jimstercp
    jimstercp Posts: 236
    Viking Direct do this as well. You order a bottle of tippex and they pack it in a 2x1 ft cardboard box with the tippex heat sealed inside the box - presumably to stop it moving about and destabilising the delivery van.
  • I ordered a small child, and they squeezed it into a box big enough for a puncture repair kit so it got all creased. I sent it back.
  • gillan1969
    gillan1969 Posts: 3,119
    ineed forget the air miles to problem we have is over consumption

i have recently seen an advert beginning

"embarrassed by your dry flaky heels"?????

eh??????????????????????

At no point in my life have I ever gone "wow, check the heels on her...oh....no...hold on...they're dry and flaky.....uugghhh!!!"

nor have I considered my own heels to be a physical priority beliveing that a may gain more success with the opposite sex or indeed avoid embarrasment in the gym changing room

until we reign in our expenditure, production, packaging etc...we're doomed I tell you....doomed!!!!

www.squadraporcini.com
  • Fnaar
    Fnaar Posts: 1,985
    I also get miffed at how paperless we haven't become. The Grauniad regularly has pull-out supplements and such like on how to go green.... doesn't make sense.
    I was at a meeting yesterday at work, 2 hours, to confirm that we had done all the necessary paperwork for a particular task.
    20 people in the meeting, each was given a photocopy of not only their own submitted paperwork, but everyone else's paperwork too! It ran to over 200 pages (x20 people), and we looked at it for 10 minutes. All the 'paperwork' had previously ben submitted electronically, in order to save paper. [:o)]

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">No, Dougal, that baby elephant is far away!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></b> [:D]
  • domd1979
    domd1979 Posts: 526
    Both the Grauniad and the Indescribably wrap their supplements in plastic as well.

What annoys me with meetings is that agendas/minutes etc get emailed round in advance, then you go to the meeting and the person running it then has a mountain of "spare copies". Usually means those who've printed anything in advance end up with two copies!

Offices with internet access (most now I guess) have far higher paper consumption (although that's probably not surprising)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fnaar</i>

I also get miffed at how paperless we haven't become. The Grauniad regularly has pull-out supplements and such like on how to go green.... doesn't make sense.
    I was at a meeting yesterday at work, 2 hours, to confirm that we had done all the necessary paperwork for a particular task.
    20 people in the meeting, each was given a photocopy of not only their own submitted paperwork, but everyone else's paperwork too! It ran to over 200 pages (x20 people), and we looked at it for 10 minutes. All the 'paperwork' had previously ben submitted electronically, in order to save paper. [:o)]

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">No, Dougal, that baby elephant is far away!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></b> [:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fnaar</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">do you live in a dilbert cartoon fnaar?

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • Fnaar
    Fnaar Posts: 1,985
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">do you live in a dilbert cartoon fnaar?
    [/quote]
    Wish I did! It'd be saner world than th one I work in! [:D]

• alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Wish I did! It'd be saner world than th one I work in! [:D]

[/quote]my fave dilbertism was a while ago when my studio manager, prompted by a colleague's constant use of cell phone to call the girlfriend, banned them from the office. problem was, it was an open plan office and the ban only applied to those of us in the graphic studio. the upshot was that every time a cell phone rang he would get out of his chair to see if it was 'legit' or not.

needless to say we had great fun phoning our non-banned colleages (from our desk-phones) just to get the reaction.

and i've never since seen a memo requiring that all personal calls be made using the company's phones on our desks[:D]

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…