Speed camera that could have killed me...

Mister Paul
Mister Paul Posts: 719
edited June 2007 in Campaign
This one is pretty revealing, and entertaining-

http://tinyurl.com/2crdh3

It's a bit long, but worth reading. And the middle of page 4 is where the learning opportunity comes in, but is completely missed.

It's always someone else's fault.

Oh, and it shows Paulie trying to get down with his crew.

Comments

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    Don't worry, I'm sure no-one'll tell them you've been boasting about your 5-page trollfest on here.

<hr noshade size="1">
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I was going at about 63mph, I thought the speed limit was 40<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

'nuff said?

Not really.....

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">No, moral of the story - your driving sucks.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Perhaps a little forthright, but apt?

NO - apparently criticising bad driving is considered "inappropriate" by the moderator!
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">That's not an appropriate response for a new user<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mind you - credit is due to the "Voices of reason" who do criticise the driving of the OP.

Unfortunately it isn't popularwith the moderator:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm sorry that some others seem to be giving you a hard time. As it happens I don't agree with their judgements.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Mister Paul
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

Don't worry, I'm sure no-one'll tell them you've been boasting about your 5-page trollfest on here.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Please explain...

• rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> NO - apparently criticising bad driving is considered "inappropriate" by the moderator!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Interesting. Small Pith calls Brunstrom a cxnt in public, but criticising bad driving is a no no. nice consistency there.
  • Mister Paul
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

Come on bonjy, what are you babbling about?

• Mister Paul
    <i>I nailed it past this lorry that was in the lane to my left and then noticed I was on top of a scamera. I was going at about 63mph, I thought the speed limit was 40 (it was actually 50) so naturally grabbed the brakes

So what if I exceeded the speed limit?

It's not as simple checking mirrors on a bike either, I have to physically move an arm out of the way and move my head to see clearly in them.

I cruise at up to 130mph on the motorway when it's safe to do so and I've never put myself or anyone else in danger by doing so

Actually I think my riding is pretty good, considering I've only been riding two months and have never driven a car either.

How am I supposed to remember exactly where two cameras are after commuting on it for a couple of weeks?

The only blame that can realistically be placed on me is for not memorising the location of the scamera, and that's another issue in itself which proves that speed cameras are hazards.

One of the things I've tried and that seems to work is weaving from side to side as I approach a junction. I've never been pulled out on whilst weaving.

I have a '99 Fazer 600

I really don't know where he came from tbh, I'd looked in my mirrors only perhaps 10 second earlier and saw nobody. He must have really bricked it, as I'd left all the cars for dust at the lights not very far back.

The low beam bulb has gone and I'm waiting on the dealer to get a replacement in

I did my CBT two months ago today..although I had to go back twice. My clutch control was terrible, and I really needed some time to just "get it" and be able to ride a bike instinctively.

I've been riding a big bike on a full license for a month, and riding on a 125/doing DAS training in the month prior.

The only speed-related incidents I've had were not quite what you'd expect. One when I was doing my DAS training on a 125cc and the heavens had opened, literally torrential rain, none of us could see **** and I flew straight across a very faded mini-roundabout I couldn't even see until I was on top of it at about 25mph.
    The other was today, when I almost ran into a parked car on a small roundabout in my estate at something like 15/20mph.</i>

Now forgive me, but I got this far and started to worry how long this guy was going to stay alive for. And not a hint of 'road safety' advice from Smithy, who has only supported him so far.

And then this-

<i>On that note, I'm not having much luck lately it seems. I'd just left my house lastnight, pulled right onto the main road and accelerated (fairly briskly, but nowhere near as fast as I could have done) and presumably because of the wet, it set off an unrecoverable gyroscopic effect where the rear end was swerving violently from left to right. Then the left footpeg dug into the ground and threw me off into the road, bike slammed into the kerb.
    I'm completely uninjured, but the bike is badly damaged. The left handlebar had been bent down at a 90 degree angle due to the kerb impact although I managed to bend it back almost straight with the help of a guy who came to my assistance, left indicator has fallen out of its socket, lots of scuffs and scratches on the fairing, handlebar edge, engine bars have taken a lot of damage (but that's what they're for, I suppose) and I tried to ride it round the block to see if it was safe to take to work today and it wobbled all over the place so the collision must have knocked something out of alignment. I didn't dare lean it over or ride at more than 5mph.
    So now I'm taking the morning off work to sort everything out. *sigh*
    I don't understand why it happened, it wasn't even raining, just wet. I've ridden harder than that in much worse weather before on tyres that were far less confidence-inspiring and I've had no traction problems, WTF did it throw me off for accelerating in a straight line? Could it be because the tyres were still cold?

I might raise the issue that it could possibly have been the fault of the bike</i>

• Cunobelin
    This guy is what we know in the trade as an "Organ Donor"!!!

Massaging his already over confident ego is only going to get him killed!

Still at least someone is going to benefit from his colossal one month of experience that allows him to (?safely?)travel at 130 mph on a bike he can't manage to control on a damp road

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    o.m.g. what a total w@nker. At least on a motorcycle there's half a chance it'll happen in a single-vehicle incident in which he'll be the only victim, and the roads will become that bit safer again afterwards...
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

Still at least someone is going to benefit from his colossal one month of experience that allows him to (?safely?)travel at 130 mph on a bike he can't manage to control on a damp road

(Unattributed Trad.)

Although, unless he carries a card or is one the register, he may still turn out to be a waste of tissue...

Let's hope for his sake, the bike is written off and he can't afford to replace it...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • Pringlecp
    Pringlecp Posts: 771
    Are you sure this bloke is for real? Can't believe he's survived so long if he is!

Another year older, another Budweiser
    Another year older, another Budweiser
  • pzycoman
    pzycoman Posts: 285
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

(Unattributed Trad.)

Although, unless he carries a card or is one the register, he may still turn out to be a waste of tissue...

Let's hope for his sake, the bike is written off and he can't afford to replace it...

Massive trauma (Well large blood loss / heart stopping / damage to lungs / amputation) usually rules out most organ donors. But im thankful for this idiot, people like him keep my brother in business (Forensic Pathologist)
    Professional Kitten Huffer
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    If he's not trolling, he's certainly exaggerating. 130mph routinely on a Fazer 600? I don't think so. A <i>Blackbird</i> struggles at 130mph.

I reckon he actually just sits at home jizzing off into Bike! magazine. [;)]
  • pzycoman
    pzycoman Posts: 285
    I thought blackbirds can hit Mach 3.5 before they were retired ?
    Professional Kitten Huffer
  • Cunobelin
    Never seen a Blackbird going that fast in my garden, although the one being chased by tha cat was doing a fair lick!

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Love the bit about being in control of a bike with one wheel up in the air.

I saw a biker like that in Bala the other weekend. Pulled a wheelie into town - forgetting that towns have junctions and traffic and things. So when the car in front slowed to turn off - he panicked and braked, front wheel came down hard and he lost it and skidded into the petrol station, bike throwing off bits of plastic as it went. It ended up against the pump. And this being old school Wales - an attendant came out to fill it up. I dont think he'd planned on getting fuel, but seemed a bit churlish to refuse as the attendant helped him pick the bike up.

Silly twunt.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cougie</i>
    [and skidded into the petrol station, bike throwing off bits of plastic as it went. It ended up against the pump. And this being old school Wales - an attendant came out to fill it up. I dont think he'd planned on getting fuel, but seemed a bit churlish to refuse as the attendant helped him pick the bike up.

[:D]LOL!

Must have been very embarrassing...[:I]

• Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    A Blackbird (or even my own old Kwak) can happily pull 130 for ages; it's just incredibly difficult to concentrate sufficiently at that speed, even on an empty motorway.
    A Fazer 600? No way.

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Oh, I dunno. I reckon an (ugly ugly) Fazer would get up around that speed. My thundercat will, and that's basically the same engine, just tuned differently.

To be fair, I reckon the biker came in for an amount of justified stick on the forum.
  • Tourist Tony
    Oh. I know it could get there, it's just the "cruising at..." bit.

• Tourist Tony
    Abd I wouldn't exactly call him a biker....not with all of two months 'experience'

• Mister Paul
    Fascinating how none of the SS trolls have sought to defend one of their own on here, choosing instead to bang out the same, repetitive and unjustifiable drivel that they try every time.

Oh well.