The End of Traffic Jams & Congestion?

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited June 2007 in Campaign
Nottingham County Council have finally solved the problem it seems according to this story from the BBC

Quote:
A county council in the East Midlands has banned all so-called "boy racers" from its roads following complaints about noise and anti-social behaviour.
Nottinghamshire County Council and Nottinghamshire Police applied for the injunction from the county court.

<b>The injunction prevents five or more vehicles from "congregating</b>, driving in convoy, or racing" <b>in the county.</b>

The council said the move followed hundreds of complaints about noise and anti-social behaviour of drivers.

A similar injunction was obtained by Nottingham City Council in 2006 which applied to the city.

The injunction carries a maximum two year jail sentence for anyone found breaching the order.

It will remain in place for two years and then be reviewed.

The injunction is aimed at drivers of modified cars who race or "cruise" at impromptu rallies.

The Solution to Congestion & Traffic Jams

Simple solution isn't it- can't wait till 5 or more vehicles are banned everywhere else

22nd March can't come soon enough, neither can 26th May 2007

Carbon Footprint what Carbon Footprint?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    sounds like a plan.

not a very good one.
  • looks like i'll have to re-plan my route from shefield to brighton, we're picking people up / adding to the vehicle numbers in the east midlands, 7 vehicles in total, 20 people + camping gear for the week for each person.

its likely we wont get stopped as we're in fairly normal cars it'll be harder to tell we're in convoy.

not sure what'll happen when i'm off to the landrover event, often end up with a convoy of about 20 vehicles

not planned, usually start out as 5ish vehicles, but other people headed to the same event join on.

i like the idea, but it has implications on people passing through who arent being antisocial, driving round and round with loud music or exhaust noise
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    So car parks are banned then? Isn't that '5 or more vehicles congregating'?

<hr noshade size="1">
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath
  • jonpcp
    jonpcp Posts: 2,028
    When I lived in Oxford the local "boy racers" were challenged by the police in Blackbird Leys. They completely took the p1ss out of the cops on a daily basis, intercepting their radios and staging spectacular displays of lawless driving for the delight of the locals, until they put speed humps in and narrowed the roads. The cops couldn't do half of SFA to stop it basically.

<font size="1">Scenic commute!</font id="size1">
  • drossall
    drossall Posts: 21
    Bikes are vehicles. If the ban is worded as reported, it would prevent club runs [:0]

However, it would not be the first time that officialdom had said "vehicle" when it meant "motor vehicle".
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    Not the end of traffic jams and congestion, no!!!

But it should cut down the number of Fiat Puntos and Peugeot 307s going round the one-way 5-lane half-mile "roundabout" in the middle of town repeatedly on a friday night.

And hopefully cut down some completely OTT Honda Civics driving with 150dB exhaust pipes!!

<font size="1">- Make me a bicycle, clown!
    - All right, I'm going to make you a bicycle. But I don't want to make you a bicycle.
    </font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • Theres nothing wrong with having a modified car, but some wa*kers tend to ruin for others with their wheel spinning, donutting and street racing antics.
    I for one should know as i used to have a modded suzuki swift a couple of years ago and never been done by the police and also i used to go to the guildford cruise a lot, but now thats been stopped because of these childish gits in their uninsured novas and mopeds decided to kill someone.

These people should have their motors crushed and be banned for a number of years, theres the sensible option right there, not banning every single modded car or convoy from the cities!!

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241/ashh2_album/
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halfords wizzkid</i>

<snip>

...i used to have a modded suzuki swift...

<snip>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Snigger!

[;)]

Sorry HWK, couldn't resist!
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peyote</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halfords wizzkid</i>

<snip>

...i used to have a modded suzuki swift...

<snip>

Snigger!

[;)]

Sorry HWK, couldn't resist!

Yes, some things are best kept to yourself Mr Whizzkid
  • Oh come on, it was a wicked little car with 1.3 16v 100bhp engine in a tin can that would eat ferraris and porsches round the bends, what more could you ask for!!
    I even had a straight through exhaust sytem and it was chipped to around a good 130bhp for as little as œ250 all in.
    And 0-60 time of 6.1 secs and top speed of 135mph (on the track) beat that if you can in your novas or saxos!!

• CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosschops2</i>

Not the end of traffic jams and congestion, no!!!

But it should cut down the number of Fiat Puntos and Peugeot 307s going round the one-way 5-lane half-mile "roundabout" in the middle of town repeatedly on a friday night.

And hopefully cut down some completely OTT Honda Civics driving with 150dB exhaust pipes!!

<font size="1">- Make me a bicycle, clown!
    - All right, I'm going to make you a bicycle. But I don't want to make you a bicycle.
    </font id="size1">

I think spen's point is that the injunction is so appallingly badly worded that it would apply to <i>any</i> group of cars and not just the boy racers.
  • I agree with spen and cometgirl. The first people do be done will be a group of parents travelling in convoy taking their children to a youth football match. The second group to be done will be the vintage MG club on a weekend run.
  • Joe Sacco
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halfords wizzkid</i>

Oh come on, it was a wicked little car with 1.3 16v 100bhp engine in a tin can that would eat ferraris and porsches round the bends, what more could you ask for!!
    I even had a straight through exhaust sytem and it was chipped to around a good 130bhp for as little as œ250 all in.
    And 0-60 time of 6.1 secs and top speed of 135mph (on the track) beat that if you can in your novas or saxos!!

Have you actually driven a Ferrari or Porsche? The difference between these cars and a front wheel drive warm hatch is massive and a 130bhp Swift would not come close, not even around bends.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Have you actually driven a Ferrari or Porsche? The difference between these cars and a front wheel drive warm hatch is massive and a 130bhp Swift would not come close, not even around bends.

Do you find Joe, that once you get up to over 90 mph on a windy road that the understeer on the hatch gives the rear wheel drive car the advantage, even if the power to weight ratio is much the same?
  • jonpcp
    jonpcp Posts: 2,028
    I'm sure the rule will only be applied in the spirit in which it is intended, though I notice the lawyers among us are already thinking through all the implications.

And I see an army of lawyers rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of all the œœœs they'll be raking in from defence costs.

• Well we lawyers know of the law of unintended consequences. When it was first mooted that ALL hunting with dogs be outlawed, it was the lawyers who pointed out that the first person to be prosecuted would be a life long member of the League Against Cruel Sport, whose dog had caught a rabbit on Hampstead Heath.
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jonp</i>

I'm sure the rule will <b>only be applied in the spirit in which it is intended,</b> though I notice the lawyers among us are already thinking through all the implications.

And I see an army of lawyers rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of all the œœœs they'll be raking in from defence costs.

Like the stop and search under the Terrorism Act 2000, which isn't used against terrorists but against random people because it's easier to stop someone under that than PACE?

Like the POA 1986 brought in to prevent rioting, currently being used in the higher courts to prevent critical mass?

Like Charlotte Denis, arrested over wearing a "Bollocks to Blair" t-shirt under the provisions or legislation designed to prevent obscenity?

Maya Anne Evans, convicted under the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act (designed to prevent terrorism) for a one-person peaceful protest at the Cenotaph?

Oh yes, there's a staunch tradition of only applying the law in the spirit it was dreamt up in....
  • The Terrorism Act has also been used to arrest Walter Wolfgang, a concentration camp survivor, from heckling Tony Blair and to stop people demonstrating against an arms fair in London.
  • bof
    bof Posts: 372
    Sometimes it can be positive - as when ASBOs were used against record company bosses to stop them flyposting or putting gangsters in jail for tax evasion.
    The artist formally known as boring old fart
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bof</i>

Sometimes it can be positive - as when ASBOs were used against record company bosses to stop them flyposting or putting gangsters in jail for tax evasion.

ASBOs have been used against sheep trespass!
  • bof
    bof Posts: 372
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bof</i>

ASBOs have been used against sheep trespass!

Was that to close down a Welsh brothel?
    The artist formally known as boring old fart
  • Joe Sacco
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Do you find Joe, that once you get up to over 90 mph on a windy road that the understeer on the hatch gives the rear wheel drive car the advantage, even if the power to weight ratio is much the same?

Not as simple as that. All to do with how the car was designed at the outset (Swift to go shopping, Ferrari to go to racetrack) Quality/type of suspension components, size of tyres, steering etc, etc,. the list goes on.

As for understeer on the front wheel drive, remember we are including Porsche here so almost by default that would mean 911.
  • Right for one yes i have driven these types of cars before when i was working for talacrest and AFN guildford for a while, and yeah ok ferraris and porsches would be quite quick round bends and straights, but who would actually throw their prized posession round bends at hair raising speeds, or is it just me who has a bug for speed and adrenaline???[^]

Bearing in mind my car had been tuned up before i touched the exhaust system and chip, it had spax multi adjustable suspension to cope with neg-pos G and speeds round corners, brembo 4 pots with cross drilled up front with brembo 2 pots rear with cross drilled discs, 15" tsw rims with yokohama 425 wet/dry combo tyres for road and track, stripped out interior with a roll-cage, no rear seats, two carbon bucket seats with 4 point harnesses and no stereo (you wouldn't hear it due to the exhaust system and lack of sound proofing) and the best bit about it was it had nitrous!!! 2x15lb bottles wet combo set up!! to add an additional 100 bhp!!. when needed.[;)][}:)]

It had a power to weight ratio of 260bhp per ton![:D] the whole car itself weighed less then 700kg!!

oh and yeah sorry i forgot to mention that it had a turbo charger so it was putting out 190bhp after everything was done.[:D]

And it went through two gearboxes, and in the end i had one made up for it with a LSD cost a bomb œ2500!![:0]

And yes i've had to 135mph on a closed circuit! and with nitrous its 0-60 time was 4.3 secs and top end of 148mph![:p]

so yeah it would thrash any thing near enough to an inch of its little puny life even ate subaru imprezas and mitsi evo5 and 6 for breakfast, then take on ferraris and porsches for lunch and then for dinner maybe a 911 gt3!!

After all the mods and car the total value of the car was well over œ12,000 but i only spent œ6000 on it with the extra mods.[;)]

I know what i'm on about guys.

• Joe Sacco
    148mph, don't waste my time!

You can chage the shocks and springs but you can't change the TCA, wishbones etc, (or not easily) so you are still making the best of a bad job in messing around with a Swift.

And there is a difference between how fast someone tries to go around a bend and how fast the car is physically capable of going. You stated your car was faster round a bend than a Ferrari or Porsche, whereas what you should have said is you are prepared to go faster round a bend that a Ferrari or Porsche driver. Quite an important difference!
  • i was quite happy to go faster then a ferrari round a bend!!

and with the right set-up you can make the car go a lot faster then what its intended for!!

look at what top gear did to an old jag xj they bought for œ250 and then strapped nitrous to it for about œ500 and it kicked all of the exotic supercars into the dust in a straight line, you want proof i will send you a japanese tuning magazine article that they did on my car in 2004 at silverstone's run what you brung competiton and then weep!! it even beat the hell out of a toyota supra twin turbo with 650 bhp!!

• Joe Sacco

i was quite happy to go faster then a ferrari round a bend!!

and with the right set-up you can make the car go a lot faster then what its intended for!!

look at what top gear did to an old jag xj they bought for œ250 and then strapped nitrous to it for about œ500 and it kicked all of the exotic supercars into the dust in a straight line, you want proof i will send you a japanese tuning magazine article that they did on my car in 2004 at silverstone's run what you brung competiton and then weep!! it even beat the hell out of a toyota supra twin turbo with 650 bhp!!

Of course you can make a car go faster, the same can also be said for a Porsche or Ferrari though. I picked you up on your comment about cornering ability, which you are still not getting.

Correct me if I am wrong, but run what you brung type competitions don't have many corners in them do they?

Anyway, I'm sure this is very boring to the other contributors and I would rather not be seen talking to someone about souped up Japanese cars, I have my credibility to think of.
  • Sh4rkybloke
    Sh4rkybloke Posts: 209
    <yawn>

I have a Ford Focus which my Wife drives. It can go more than 60mph. Errrm. It's a nice colour.

No pots, in it unless my Daughter has been on the yoghurt again...

I'll get my coat. <troll> You get your twin pot, sub-woofed, straight 8, drilled out exhaust and go and play nicely with the other chavs. </troll> [;)]

Nothing in life is foolproof, fools are ingenious

• Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sh4rkybloke</i>

<yawn>

I have a Ford Focus which my Wife drives. It can go more than 60mph. Errrm. It's a nice colour.

No pots, in it unless my Daughter has been on the yoghurt again...

I'll get my coat. <troll> You get your twin pot, sub-woofed, straight 8, drilled out exhaust and go and play nicely with the other chavs. </troll> [;)]

oh, halfords isn't a troll. But I have to say, his last few posts have just given me a headache...

"Bearing in mind my car had been tuned up before i touched the exhaust system and chip, it had spax multi adjustable suspension to cope with neg-pos G and speeds round corners, brembo 4 pots with cross drilled up front with brembo 2 pots rear with cross drilled discs, 15" tsw rims with yokohama 425 wet/dry combo tyres for road and track, stripped out interior with a roll-cage, no rear seats, two carbon bucket seats with 4 point harnesses and no stereo (you wouldn't hear it due to the exhaust system and lack of sound proofing) and the best bit about it was it had nitrous!!! 2x15lb bottles wet combo set up!! to add an additional 100 bhp!!. when needed."

Take a breath occasionally HW, and use the shift key!

I think if they want to legislate against this sort of modded car stuff, each police force should employ a couple of people like me, arbiters of good taste. Each car could be paraded in front of me, and if I say it looks stupid, it gets crushed...[;)] Or if the driver has a burberry cap, or a stupid hairstyle.[;)]

Saw one of those ones the other day were all the badges had been removed, to make it look swisher presumably. Funny, it still looked enough like a Peugeot 205 for me to recognise it...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

I think if they want to legislate against this sort of modded car stuff, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The Construction and Use Regulations (and they're prescriptive [;)]) are pretty comprehensive and limit what can be done by way of modding.
  • Joe Sacco

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

I think if they want to legislate against this sort of modded car stuff, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The Construction and Use Regulations (and they're prescriptive [;)]) are pretty comprehensive and limit what can be done by way of modding.

Unfortunately there is no taste clause in the regulations. Mind you, if there was it wouldn't just be chavtastic car owners that need to worry.