Saddles for fixie

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Road general
Have changed to fixed a while ago, now realise that the saddle, which I thought was comfortable, is an instrument of the devil.

I have a spare brooks which I am going to try, but I was wondering what the general consensus is for saddles?

I find my spez one is good with normal (i.e. not fixed) riding but that was about the same as my selle Italia one that I have now. i think that this is because when bumps come i have taken more load onto my legs and so they cushion my behind.. on a fixed this is a little harder and hence may not be being done at the moment.

Also having never bought a saddle, how does one test them? Take in bike and fit them all one by one?

Comments

• Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    It took me about 7 months to break in my Brooks pro,(thank you Wiggle padded pants) although my other fixed came with a new tan B17, which was comfortable from the first ride, 30 mile trips, no problem. I wouldn't use anything else.
  • pistonbrew
    pistonbrew Posts: 492
    comfort is of slightly higher priority on fixed, as it's harder to just coast with your ass out of the saddle when things get a little tense down there.

lots of folk like the spesh toupe. i've run one for about 8000m now with no real complaints, and its maiden voyage was the 120m dun run.

FGG#2484 & FGG#4529
    FGG#2484 & FGG#4529
  • Tom753
    Tom753 Posts: 737
    It doesn't make any difference whether the bike's fixed or not, it's like asking what bar tape, tyres, or spokes for riding fixed. On a fixed you can ease off the saddle when you go over bumps, just keep pedalling! Your bum and wheels will thank you for it.

<font color="black"><div align="right"><i><font size="1"><font face="Comic Sans MS"> My fixed bike </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size1"></i></div id="right"></font id="black">
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think a fixed is slightly harsher on the bott than riding gears. You're prob spinning a lot more, harder to bunnyhop over things, no coasting so that area just gets a bit more of a going over.
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    Rolls - Rolls and Rolls for me..... tried all sorts of other ones but none compare on fixed, instantly comfortable... Cheap enough to take a chance on and reasonably light[:)]
    I had to put another seat on my Dolan fixed as it was so harsh on the road it slowed me down so I got shot of the Titanium railed torturer and stuck the Rolls on ..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm happy bum[:D]

Club rides are for sheep
    Club rides are for sheep
  • as bonk man, rolls on all the bikes. very cheap as well!
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    Fizik Arione worked for me.
  • Tom753
    Tom753 Posts: 737
    Mmm...you could argue that fixed should be easier on the ars, because if you're contiuously pedalling there is less weight on the saddle, if you've ridden a bike very slowly for any distance then you know you'll end up with sore arms and shoulders and a bumache.
    I suppose it also depends on how much you coast on a freewheel bike and how much weight you put on the saddle when you're coasting.

I didn't really like the Rolls, I prefered the Turbo and still use them.

<font color="black"><div align="right"><i><font size="1"><font face="Comic Sans MS"> My fixed bike </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size1"></i></div id="right"></font id="black">
  • Thanks, all noted.. i think that a trip to the LBS and maybe sit on a few..

may have to wait a few days before this so that i can get a "true" picture.. i.e. no residual pain!

Sorry forgot to add: is a Rolls a San marco saddle or is it a make?
  • "It doesn't make any difference whether the bike's fixed or not, it's like asking what bar tape, tyres, or spokes for riding fixed."

Seconded! And like/dislike of saddles is so personal as to make suggestions worthless IMHO.

I HATE Brooks - some folk love 'em!

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Go ride a 100 miler on a fixed or a geared bike and then tell me you won't feel the difference! Because you tend to have a more even pedal stroke and pull yourself onto the saddle on fixed, a more padded 'nose' is desireable, so something like a San Marco Rolls or an original Sell Italia Turbo or Turbomatic are ideal. I also find seat angle far more critical - a 25 mile TT on fixed is pretty painful otherwise.
  • I've never managed a ton on fixed or geared - but I've certainly done my longest rides on fixed - and, no, I've never noticed any difference comfort wise. As for TTing, I have no experience so bow to your superior judgement.

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Seat angle is the only thing for me - had a real hard time getting it right on my recent build with a cheapo single bolt post. Has to be the two bolt micro-tilt for me.
  • SamuelQ
    SamuelQ Posts: 66
    Brooks B17 with Ti rails on mine. Very comfy for me, but then I generally get on with Brooks saddles, and not everyone does.

Slightly OT - I just added a set of 46cm Nitto Noodle bars to the fixie and they've made a great improvement to my hand/wrist/arm comfort.

Sam
  • jbindman
    jbindman Posts: 1,328
    just breaking in a new brooks pro, or will do if it doesn't break me first.

the last one only has 10,000 miles on it but its gone quite soggy and when tightened is asymmetrical and tearing at the rivets, a bit disappointing as although I ride more than I used to its only lasted 3 years and my previous one lasted 23...

im not sure fixed is any different from other bikes as far as saddle goes

by the way whats the point of a titanium railed brooks pro? its a lot of extra money to save not very much weight on a saddle which is quite heavy anyway. titanium railed swift or swallow I can just about understand, but if you're bothered about a few grammes you'd never get a pro anyway would you?

fgg 1666
    fgg 1666
  • nashcom
    nashcom Posts: 255
    I've always imagined my titanium-railed Swift & Swallow to have a wee bit extra 'spring' in them for extra comfort. I don't if that's actually the case, but I've convinced myself that it is!

I used to use any saddle that came with a bike, but when I recently had to ride a couple of bikes with Rolls and Selle Gel saddles, they nearly killed me! It was almost like sitting astride a drain-pipe - they seemed to curve outwards at the sides - it felt like they were trying to make me bandy [:-D]

As I've said before, my Swift was pretty comfy right from the start, and now that it's looking a 'funny' shape it's even better. The Swallow seems to be taking a bit of breaking-in. It's not uncomfortable, but it's not showing much sign of softening even after around three thousand miles.

I think I'm going to try one of those ostrich leather ones next...
  • Just got back from a 50 mile jaunt around the North Downs to put a bit of strength into my legs for the Etape. Sitting down and pedalling non-stop for 3 hours (seated climbs - all of that) made me realise how wooden my old Flite Gel can feel, so it's back to Jan Ullrich's fave - the Turbomatic. I can quite happily sit on an SLR XP for 6 hours on my gearie, so it must be to do with the fixed upstroke pulling the backside onto the saddle. By the way, if you look at the pictures in the glossy cycling mags of the pro teams on their training rides, quite a few riders still use Rolls seats.
  • craigl
    craigl Posts: 193
    Brookes for me. Was comfortable from the get go - cant find something as comfortable for my other bike though :(