Does such a computer exist?

zimzum42
zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
edited December 1969 in Workshop
One that logs your milage, but doesn't display anything like speed etc to turn you into a commute racing freak, or that turns every pleasant ride into an interval session.....

?

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
My Bikes My Commute

Comments

• fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Could always mount one on the underside of the bars where you can't see it? :)

----
    The summer bike | The fixie | The sensible one
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    What you need is:
    one of these

Don't know where you will get one - and use is limited as they are wheel specific, and cannot be altered to suit tyre changes etc.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • photojonny
    photojonny Posts: 382
    Just stick a bit of tape over the display. I do this sometimes when I just want to enjoy the view, but the 'puter still logs the miles.

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

where there's two wheels, there's a way....
  • vermootencp
    vermootencp Posts: 1,298
    Garmin 305 has a kind of main menu screen that I switch to when I don't want to see data but still want to record it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font size="1">"I'll do what I can to help y'all. But the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font>"I\'ll do what I can to help y\'all. But the game\'s out there, and it\'s play or get played. That simple."
    </font>
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zimzum42</i>

One that logs your milage, but doesn't display anything like speed etc to turn you into a commute racing freak, or that turns every pleasant ride into an interval session.....

?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

A Cateye OS1.0 or 1.1 is fully customizable in terms of what you can have it display...I'm not 100% sure that speed can be eliminated but everything else can...I only have speed, 24hr clock and trip distance to scroll through on mine. The manuals are usually available on the Cateye website in pdf format.

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

A pulse, the whole world has a pulse...and now so does a baby elephant.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    just get a wireless and put it in your pocket.

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • walkercp
    walkercp Posts: 1,012
    Mu Polar CS100 can change screen's so you can just see HR or Distance traveled, and blocks out the speed altogether

Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
    Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    On a related topic, is there an inexpensive computer with an altimeter that can measure height gain?

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Ravenbait
    Ravenbait Posts: 13,064
    Rob got in there with the CatEye suggestion before I did. I think you can only get the 1.1 now. They chew through batteries, mind, and the first you'll know of it is when they unexpectedly fail to start working when you take the bike out.

Love mine, though.

"You've just cycled the length of the Japanese islands!"

Sheer class.

FM, I don't know of a cheap one that comes with an altimeter. The VDO is about 60 - 70 quid for the wired version. There's this one for 26 on Ebay. Never heard of the make.

Sam

<font size="1"><font color="teal">The cross product of Tank Girl and Ellen Ripley:</font id="teal">

http://ravenfamily.org
    <font color="purple">"<u>You</u> might remember that 'annoyed' is my natural state!"</font id="purple">

http://gentlemencyclists.org/clubhouse
    <font color="purple">"Ya'd think we could just attract ants, like normal people."</font id="purple"></font id="size1">

http://ravenfamily.org
    "You might remember that 'annoyed' is my natural state!"
    http://gentlemencyclists.org
    "Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vermooten</i>

Garmin 305 has a kind of main menu screen that I switch to when I don't want to see data but still want to record it.

Garmin 305 also allows you completely to customise the data display by specifying how many items of data you display and what they are.

Then you can look at what you want on the ride (eg distance covered, altitude, gradient) omit what you don't want and then you don't just have to look at a menu screen.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    The is the new 'NO' computer available now. I have one for sale, I can let you have it for ?60, PM me and we'll sort something out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    OG KUSH
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

On a related topic, is there an inexpensive computer with an altimeter that can measure height gain?

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

My Suunto watch does that.
    But I don't know which buttons to press.

Best I don't know the truth, because I may find that I haven't done as much climbing as I thought ( feel) I did.

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes