Who'll win the TDF?

trustysteed
trustysteed Posts: 1,490
edited December 1969 in Pro race
I was looking forward to Basso riding for Discovery, and thinking he had a good chance until I read yesterday he'd been banned.

So that's my favourite gone.

Who are the likely candidates now? Vinokourov? Cadel Evans?

today's baby elephants are tomorrow's circus heroes

today\'s baby elephants are tomorrow\'s circus heroes

Comments

• gsd
    gsd Posts: 114
    The most talented athlete who (with the help of his doctor(s)) pushes his body to the tolerated doping limits.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Scott Dupoy - 12PC</font id="size1">
  • Too early to say how many of the big names will actually be allowed to start...........Valverde and a few others have little chance of riding I think.

Here's the current Unibet odds:
    <font size="1"> Vinokourov, A 2.75
    Kl”den, A 7.00
    Valverde, A 7.00
    Sastre, C 14.00
    Leipheimer, L 14.00
    Evans, C 16.00
    Menchov, D 18.00
    Contador Velasco, A 25.00
    Kashechkin, A 25.00
    Schleck, F 35.00
    Pereiro Sio, O 40.00
    Moreau, C 40.00
    Popovych, Y 50.00
    Rogers, M 50.00
    Fothen, M 50.00
    Rasmussen, M 50.00
    Cunego, D 60.00
    Zubeldia Aguirre, Haimar 75.00
    Mayo, I 90.00
    Millar, D 100.00
    L”vkvist, T 100.00
    Hincapie, G 100.00
    Dessel, C 125.00
    Casar, S 150.00
    Chavanel, Sylvain 150.00
    Caucchioli, P 150.00
    Gadret, John 150.00
    Voeckler, T 300.00
    Gilbert, P 750.00 </font id="size1">

===========================================================================
    http://www.ccluton.com (It's a lifestyle!!)
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by trustysteed</i>

I was looking forward to Basso riding for Discovery, and thinking he had a good chance until I read yesterday he'd been banned.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Blimey, and I read the other day that Eddie Merckx had retired.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Wow, Bronzie's list is totally depressing. Not because of anything to do with doping, but because they're all so boring to watch.

Right up until you get to Contador, the only two I've ever seen actually attack and try to ride aggressively are Vino and Valverde. And I can't see Valverde starting either. What a mediocre bunch we're left with...
  • walkercp
    walkercp Posts: 1,012
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phil S</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by trustysteed</i>

Blimey, and I read the other day that Eddie Merckx had retired.

Phil, Shut up please, I almost wet myself with that comment[:D]

Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
    Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
  • trustysteed
    trustysteed Posts: 1,490
    ok, so i don't tend to go into the Race thread that often! And i don't bother going to Eurosport.com until the TDF actually starts. Although I DID wonder why Basso wasn't riding the Giro when I tuned in, and thought it must be because he was concentrating on the TDF.

My current event filter is a bit rubbish! [:D]

today's baby elephants are tomorrow's circus heroes

today\'s baby elephants are tomorrow\'s circus heroes
  • I've said it before, I'll say it again, I look forward to saying I told you so.

CARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRECARLOSASTRE
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    I think Vino will win this year. He looked good on several stages of the Dauphine. I think he was sizing up the rest of the peloton and will go for it big style in Le Tour.

So many roads, so little time!!!
    So many roads, so little time!!!
  • Graemecp
    Graemecp Posts: 479
    My money's (literally) on Vino - subject to illness, injuries (getting caught/implicated), etc. He's a highly watchable rider with balls the size of melons. In a sentimental kind of way, I'd like to see Mayo have a good Tour. As suspicious as his fall from grace actually is..
  • afx237vi
    I think Vino has his best chance yet, but the odds are too short for my liking. He's too unpredictable, and I really believe he often exaggerates his own chances too much.

Plus, he's in exactly the same position that he was in with T-Mobile - ie, too many chiefs and not enough indians. If Vino looks vulnerable in the first mountains, will Kloden and Kash starting having thoughts about their own ambitions? After all, Vino never had any qualms about attacking Ullrich, did he?
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Vino, Carlos Sastre, Contador unless of course he just works for Leipheimer -
    I think Leipheimer is good for a podium but not the win.
    He always seems to have a bad day at a critical point; and boy is his ar<b></b>se going to be sore after that crash?

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • Sastre
  • Graemecp
    Graemecp Posts: 479
    Cry baby Carlos...hmm, on a good day he's the best climber in the world. But he's emotionally volitile and brittle - I cant see him going through 3 weeks of hell and coming out tops somehow.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    I will only cheer for riders who are definitely clean. In my book the others are not in the same race.

So I've been trying to work out who's in the Clean Tour. If we believe what we read it ought to be the T-Mobiles, the CSCs
    and anyone in a French team. Except Valverde, who I suppose might be clean now but probably won't start. Can those in the
    know please help me compile a list of clean riders who might do something:

Yellow - Sastre, Schleck, Moreau, Pereiro

Green - O'Grady, McGee, Hushovd

KOM - Schleck

Prologue and TTs - Zabriskie, Wiggins

Winner of a stage if they have a good day and get lucky - Frank Hoj, David Moncoutie, Karpets, Didier Rous, Michael Rogers,
    Roger Hammond, Simoni, Millar

What's the point of going out? We're just going to end up back here anyway
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Timeless
    Timeless Posts: 1,117
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eurostar</i>

Yellow - Sastre, Schleck, Moreau, Pereiro

Green - O'Grady, McGee, Hushovd <font color="red">[don't you mean McEwen, rather than McGee?]</font id="red">

KOM - Schleck

Winner of a stage if they have a good day and get lucky - Frank Hoj, David Moncoutie, Karpets, Didier Rous, Michael Rogers,
    Roger Hammond, Simoni, Millar

<font size="1">baby elephants are just so 2006... </font id="size1">
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Winning the Tour?
    Favourite is EPO and 2nd favourite is Nandrolone I believe

22nd March can't come soon enough, neither can 26th May 2007

Carbon Footprint what Carbon Footprint?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Eurostar
    My logic is that McEwen's not in the Clean Tour - unless you know better? Everyone is guilty of doping unless proved innocent by extra, voluntary testing.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    We could see big rides from Frank Schleck,Vladimir Karpets,and Vladimir Efimkin
    oh thats the tour of switzerland,dohh

How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • Timeless
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eurostar</i>

My logic is that McEwen's not in the Clean Tour - unless you know better? Everyone is guilty of doping unless proved innocent by extra, voluntary testing.

I don't know better, but I'd like to think he is and have never heard anything to the contrary. I see the approach you are taking but don't agree with it. My gut instinct tells me that McEwen is clean, simply because of the kind of guy he appears to be. I think that he would want to win clean, if only to really urine people off!

But I thought you'd made an error as I'd be surprised if McGee is in with a shout for the green jersey.

But McGee is one rider that you could confidently say is clean.

• Sarah22
    Sarah22 Posts: 56
    A cheat!
  • Eurostar
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    My gut instinct tells me that McEwen is clean, simply because of the kind of guy he appears to be.

I'm a big McEwen fan too. But I'm not prepared ever again to believe anyone is clean just because they don't fail UCI tests. If Robbie or Lotto take the T-Mobile approach to testing (or preferably the Slipstream approach www.velonews.com/news/fea/11667.0.html ) then of course he'll be in the Clean Tour.
    <hr>
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    surely rasmussen for KOM....???
  • Eurostar

I will only cheer for riders who are definitely clean. In my book the others are not in the same race. So I've been trying to work out who's in the Clean Tour. If we believe what we read it ought to be the T-Mobiles, the CSCs
    and anyone in a French team.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm afraid I'm reluctantly ignoring the Chicken because he's in one of the 12 teams that isn't doing anything to combat doping.
    <hr>
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I like the way Schlek rides and can see him doing well.
    The way Vino rode in Dauphine was rubbish so would be amazed if he improved enough to win TDF.

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Vino for me. If he does not win he will at least liven things up a bit. Valverde loves to attack as well and he really has to prove himself in this years Tour.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • Timeless
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brian B</i>

Vino for me. If he does not win he will at least liven things up a bit. Valverde loves to attack as well and he really has to prove himself in this years Tour.

Brian B.

so you won't be in Eurostar's gang then?[:D]

• Eurostar
    If you believe velonews.com, which says that Prudhomme won't let you ride the Tour unless you sign the UCI charter promising your DNA to the Spanish police, I think an awful lot of people will drop out in the next few weeks - including Kloden and others from last year's T-Mobile squad.

Strangely the UCI are now saying that Valverde was not implicated in Puerto. So maybe he will sign.

And Discovery have been more or less thrown out of AIGCP for not upholding the ProTour ethical code. Is this a precursor to them withdrawing from the Tour? It's hard to imagine them signing the charter now.

I wonder if we're about to see a massive cull. There must be a fair few riders from Astana, Milram, Lotto and Quickstep who are most displeased by the UCI charter thingy. I'm bracing myself for a bit of an explosion. Cycling Weekly seem to agree - http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/New ... 24877.html

Payback time for the French, methinks.
    <hr>
  • Eurostar
    Breaking news...well, not exactly breaking but...

- the UCI says Valverde wasn't implicated in Puerto. So all of a sudden he looks like the favourite - that's if you think Vino and Kloden will be barred for not signing the UCI declaration.

- Rabobank has signed it, so maybe it's safe to regard them as clean.

- Pereiro said he would quit cycling if made to give DNA - so presumably he won't sign the declaration.

So perhaps the Clean Tour contenders should be:

Yellow - Sastre, Schleck, Moreau, Valverde, Menchov

Green - O'Grady, McGee, Hushovd, Freire

KOM - Schleck, Rasmussen

Roger Hammond, Simoni, Millar, Thomas Dekker. And maybe Dessel.
    <hr>
  • K Blackwell
    K Blackwell Posts: 1,539
    I fancy Contador as opposed to the obvious favourites. Was very impressed with his aggressive riding in Paris - Nice. But then I always hope it's a climber that wins.
  • afx237vi
    How's about young Thomas Dekker as an outside bet then? Climbing veeeeeery well this year, and obviously he's a big TT talent.