Portsmouth = 1st city with a blanket 20mph limit

Comments

• rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Have you decided whether it was the IAM advanced driving whose test you broke the speedlimits throughout(or not) yet? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The IAM have clear rulings on obeying the speed limit, so:

1/

Cretin's a liar or

2/

Cretin was ripped off by a bum fluff hoodie who took œ80 off cretin and said "Yeah mate, I'll take your IAM test, no worries".

Which is it cretin?
  • bad company
    bad company Posts: 2,293
    I think you will find that the IAM test takes into account the usual + or - 15% tolerance of the car's speedometer. This means that you could be doing up to 34.5 mph in a 30 limit without failing the test.

This from somebody who failed his first test for speeding - but that's another story.

I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    "15%"?

You sure?

Oh, and Simon: I don't believe you are two people. Your lot have tried that many times here.

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • bad company
    bad company Posts: 2,293
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

"15%"?

You sure?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No, but that was what I was told by an IAM instructor albeit 3 years ago at a driving event.

To be fair it is the case that most car speedometers over read the actual speed.

I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
  • Tourist Tony
    Indeed that may be the case. I would have to google the construction/use law for that one.
    Not to be confused with the prosecution idea of 10% plus 1mph

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bad company</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

"15%"?

You sure?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No, but that was what I was told by an IAM instructor albeit 3 years ago at a driving event.

To be fair it is the case that most car speedometers over read the actual speed.

I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But they can not under read. So your +-15% is either made up by you, or you too had a poor instructor.

Am I the only one who is not being instilled with confidence about these IAM instructors?

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    They normally over-read by about 10%. But they're more accurate at lower speeds, so you might only need to do 30.5mph say for it to read 30mph, but might need to do 77mph for it to read 70mph.

<hr noshade size="1">
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath
  • Mister Paul
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

<b>They normally over-read by about 10%</b>. But they're more accurate at lower speeds, so you might only need to do 30.5mph say for it to read 30mph, but might need to do 77mph for it to read 70mph.

Do they? Where did you learn this from?

I suspect you've found the figure for what the set limits are, and deduced from this using your huge noggin that this means that all speedos are inaccurate to this amount.

• The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

Don't know. Read it somewhere, can't remember where. Is it important?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

I suspect you've found the figure for what the set limits are, and deduced from this using your huge noggin that this means that all speedos are inaccurate to this amount.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I haven't deduced that ALL speedos are inaccurate to the same amount, it's only a ball park figure anyway - for instance the McLaren F1 supercar that costs œ500,000 has one that is accurate to within about 1mph all the way up to over 200mph.
  • Tourist Tony
    "Don't know. Read it somewhere, can't remember where. Is it important?"

Er....yeah, if you are citing evidence.

• Mister Paul
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

Don't know. Read it somewhere, can't remember where. Is it important?

I suspect you've found the figure for what the set limits are, and deduced from this using your huge noggin that this means that all speedos are inaccurate to this amount.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I haven't deduced that ALL speedos are inaccurate to the same amount,...

So why did you say <i>They normally over-read by about 10%</i> then? They don't.

• Mister Paul
    You can sign the petition if you like Bonj. It needs some support

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/20mph-limits/

• The Bosscp

It's NOT citing EVIDENCE! It's nothing to do with evidence... Just, <i>for once</i>, <i>forget</i> evidence, will you? It was a contribution for information's sake, to satisfy people's curiosity, to be informative. It wasn't a CLAIM that has to be either contested, confirmed, denied or PROVED - so just change the sodding record will you you pathetic boring guardian reading bearded twerp.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • The Bosscp

You can sign the petition if you like Bonj. It needs some support

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/20mph-limits/

NO, I don't agree with petitions -they're pointless and don't count for anything.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • The Bosscp

So why did you say <i>They normally over-read by about 10%</i> then? They don't.

Well that's the rule of thumb I go by.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160

It's NOT citing EVIDENCE! It's nothing to do with evidence... Just, <i>for once</i>, <i>forget</i> evidence, will you? It was a contribution for information's sake, to satisfy people's curiosity, to be informative. It wasn't a CLAIM that has to be either contested, confirmed, denied or PROVED - so just change the sodding record will you you pathetic boring guardian reading bearded twerp.

You have the arguing skills of a small child and, just as a small child would do, when you are proved wrong you go off on a huff and resort to personal abuse and insults. For everyone's sake, keep your nonsensical beliefs to yourself.

there's no such thing as steep hills - just the wrong gear

a serious case of small cogs
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by toontra</i>

You have the arguing skills of a small child and, just as a small child would do, when you are proved wrong you go off on a huff and resort to personal abuse and insults. For everyone's sake, keep your nonsensical beliefs to yourself.

Tone, you can stop the pathetic behaviour of creating other user ids to dig you out of your stupid hole aswell.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Am I the only one who is not being instilled with confidence about these IAM instructors?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No - the IAM, Rospa, RAC, AA and others are also concerned about the number of motorists who have failed to take on board the advanced driving techniques and claim they authorise or enable speeding.

In fact Rospa has stated that an examiner who does allow speeding have actually breached their "duty of care", another offence.

The danger of these poorly conducted tests can cause other problems - as highlighted where so called "advanced skills" are misinterpreted or not tempered by motivational training:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">"...increased skills raise the level of aspiration in driving (higher speed, more frequent overtaking, smaller margins of safety, etc.)" <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Naatanen and Summala, 1974, p. 243)

Mind you at least most can actually remember which organisation they took the test with!

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">so just change the sodding record will you you pathetic boring guardian reading bearded twerp.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Was that:
    Personal opinion
    Anecdote
    Evidence
    Personal experience

I do love quality debating!

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Mister Paul

Well that's the rule of thumb I go by.

thanks for sharing that.

• Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    The Boss/Bonj <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Just, for once, forget evidence, will you?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ah, the irony!

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">so just change the sodding record will you you <b>pathetic boring guardian reading bearded twerp</b>.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Was that:
    Personal opinion
    Anecdote
    Evidence
    Personal experience

Neither, it's fact.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Cunobelin
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Neither, it's fact.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

....and your evidence?

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">so just change the sodding record will you you <b>pathetic boring guardian reading bearded twerp</b>.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Was that:
    Personal opinion
    Anecdote
    Evidence
    Personal experience

Neither, it's fact.

Thanks for so clearly describing why you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about. You are unable to distinguish between facts and opinions. This error runs through all your posts. Please go away, educate yourself and come back when you understand the basics of argument.. Until then, stop filling these threads with garbage.

there's no such thing as steep hills - just the wrong gear

a serious case of small cogs
  • Tourist Tony
    I have got a beard and am reading the Guardian in between posts. I'll let the many people here who have met me decide on the rest of your claims.
    I don't think I've actually met toontra, though.
    As for being informative, your posts really are exactly that, though not quite in the way you hope...

• Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266

Have you decided whether it was the IAM advanced driving whose test you broke the speedlimits throughout(or not) yet?

I wasn't indecisive in the first place.

You really need to stop inventing things from thin air, unless you're not able to comprehend what I've typed.
  • Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>
    This is the tripe. You denigrate a method of enforcing the law. When challeneged you offer training as the solution. However you have no idea how practical this is. You suggest that every driver should be trained and that they should pay themsleves. How can you suggest that if you have no idea how much it will cost?

50p? œ10? œ100?

Can you not see that you are drifting round this forum pushing a wheelbarrow full of tripe, whilst shouting "Road Safety Solutions. Get your Road Safety Solutions here!". Why not come back with some real suggestions, instead of this vacuous, SS inspired twaddle.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Perhaps I should 'get with the programme' and use Google to refine my argument?

You ask a question, I answer it, you then demand precision to such a degree you know I can't reply to. So instead of saying something like "well its laudable, and it would be effective if implemented", or "no its rubbish, lets just put more speed cameras up while getting rid of more traffic police", you start on about Safespeed and wheelbarrows.

I think you should stick to what you know. Whatever that may be.
  • Tourist Tony
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cretin</i>

Have you decided whether it was the IAM advanced driving whose test you broke the speedlimits throughout(or not) yet?

You really need to stop inventing things from thin air, unless you're not able to comprehend what I've typed.

Ah, the good old Smeggy reply.
    "I know I made a vague claim, but I'll pretend I am a superior form of life and above such base things as amswering questions. I have TWO merit badges in driving, you know, and I know which pedal is the accelerator.
    Not sure about the other two, though".

• Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cretin</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>
    This is the tripe. You denigrate a method of enforcing the law. When challeneged you offer training as the solution. However you have no idea how practical this is. You suggest that every driver should be trained and that they should pay themsleves. How can you suggest that if you have no idea how much it will cost?

50p? œ10? œ100?

Can you not see that you are drifting round this forum pushing a wheelbarrow full of tripe, whilst shouting "Road Safety Solutions. Get your Road Safety Solutions here!". Why not come back with some real suggestions, instead of this vacuous, SS inspired twaddle.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Perhaps I should 'get with the programme' and use Google to refine my argument?

You ask a question, I answer it, you then demand precision to such a degree you know I can't reply to. So instead of saying something like "well its laudable, and it would be effective if implemented", or "no its rubbish, lets just put more speed cameras up while getting rid of more traffic police", you start on about Safespeed and wheelbarrows.

I think you should stick to what you know. Whatever that may be.

You suggest training as the answer. You have absolutely no idea if this is an achievable goal. It is not the answer until you know it is an achievable goal. Until then it is something that you can spout in a pub and get a few like-minded people to nod sagely.

Go way.

Find out how much it would cost.

Consider if motorists will pay it.

If they will, campaign to implement it.

If they won't, go back to the drawing board.

In the meantime, remember that the world is not a pub and you are not always surrounded by some like minded nodding dogs.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • Cunobelin
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

You really need to stop inventing things from thin air, unless you're not able to comprehend what I've typed.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Another "invented thing from fresh air then:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You are also aware that the IAM is not the only advanced driving organisation aren't you? You think that I've only taken the one?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My "comprehension" is that you were trying to suggest that you have multiple advanced tests and that your speeding could be on any one of them. Either confusion or a deliberate attempt to avoid stating wheter it was the IAM test.

Your explanation is bound to be informative...

Let's simply clarify this....

Was the claimed speeding during the IAM test or one of the others you are implying?

Edited - quote marks corrected

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)