Taxi Driver / Cyclist altercation Clapham N Tube

Origamist
Origamist Posts: 807
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
At about 8am this morning I saw a burly Black-cab driver swinging punches at a cyclist who had (presumably)been knocked off his bike after a RTA. Did anyone else see more of the incident? The cyclist had abrasions, but was seemingly OK...

Folders

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    It was probably urrrrrrs, you know what he gets like when made to go sarf of the river!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Teen vid
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    yours truly tends not to go to 'the peoples republic of SAARF LONDON' if i can help it[:p]

it twas not me as i was asleep after a hard nights work[:D] taking drowned rats home after all the rain

and its less of the burly,dont you know

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> At about 8am this morning I saw a burly Black-cab driver <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

RACIST!

Oh.
  • Origamist
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">At about 8am this morning I saw a burly Black-cab driver

RACIST!

Oh.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Rothbook, stay off the Cake for the sake of your Shatner's Bassoon...

Folders
  • rothbook
    I want to know what happened, was the cyclist ok?
  • Origamist
    Me too, that's why we're playing bump tag.

From what I saw, and this was the tail-end of the altercation, the taxi driver swung and missed, but blows may have landed whist I was getting his reg. When I turned around, I jogged (carbon soled shoes and cleats make running tricky) over to the scene and shouted "OI - break it up" (the cyclist was not faring too well). The driver then backed off and went to his cab. I asked a couple of cyclists who were standing around to give their contact details to the injured cyclist as they had witnessed far more than me (this they did). Another cyclist was giving him medical advice about cleaning the abrasions; I checked they had the reg of the cab, and I told the guy to phone the police immediately, making sure he told them that he had been attacked.

I do not know what provoked the incident.

Folders
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    I usually find black cabbies good drivers, safe anyway, swinging at a cyclists seems a bit strong unless there was provocation of some kind

who knows

sarf london = bandit country, after fifteen years even the wife agrees now, after being rescued from Peckham
  • rothbook
    Blimey, nasty. Tell us what the old bill say, if anything.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Well done Origamist, a big thank you from me. That kind of caring is what makes the world worth living in.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    <u>Do</u> let the police know that you saw the end and would be a witness. Even if you're not sure what you could contribute. It is really important.

A while back (4th May) I saw two young thugs jump out of mummy's car, tear a cyclist off his bike and beat the cr<i></i>ap out of him. They had some flimsy excuse for themselves (they'd doored him; he pushed the door shut to avoid being knocked off, allegedly trapping their fingers) but they really went overboard, leaving him bleeding pretty copiously and lying dazed on the pavement. It was rush hour and there were dozens of people watching. Out of those dozens, at least three or four gave their details as witnesses. Of those three or four, I'm the only one who could be bothered, and I strongly suspect nothing happened to the kids as I've not heard from the police since. [V]
  • Origamist
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Well done Origamist, a big thank you from me. That kind of caring is what makes the world worth living in.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for the kind words.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Do let the police know that you saw the end and would be a witness. Even if you're not sure what you could contribute. It is really important. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The problem is, due to my oxygen debt or simply failing to put on my Worzel Gummidge thinking head, <b>I forgot </b>to exchange details with the cyclist - hence my post on C+.

Hopefully he is a regular commuter and, if our paths cross again, I will volunteer as a witness.

Folders
  • Wobblescp
    Wobblescp Posts: 358
    Geeez. That's a truely shocking story. Origamist - Hope you're around
    if something like that ever happens to me. Well done.
    Hope the guy manages to recover quickly....poor sod.

One thing that's always annoying is that if you're wearing cleats, and push came to shove(literally) you're gonna be the loser.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Origamist</i>

The problem is, due to my oxygen debt or simply failing to put on my Worzel Gummidge thinking head, <b>I forgot </b>to exchange details with the cyclist - hence my post on C+.

Hopefully he is a regular commuter and, if our paths cross again, I will volunteer as a witness.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Surely if you just go along and say "I saw this incident at XYZ, cab reg ABC was involved, can I help" you might get hold of the right people?