Kilotogo Sportives

NJA
NJA Posts: 19
edited June 2007 in Pro race
I am thinking of doing the Belvoir and Rutland Sportive on the 1st July as I didn't get into the London ride.

My question is simple - are they just thinly veilled road races or can a reasonably fit leisure cyclist take part without looking stupid?

Living in the fens I can average 17 - 18 mph on the flat and the distances don't worry me, so do you think this might be the type of event for me for a first road bike event. (I normally ride a Mountain Bike or a Hybrid which is set up as a tourer).

Comments

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    They're definately not a race. If you can average that sort of speed then you'll be in the top 50% of finishers.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    I did the so you think Essex is flat sportive. It was well organised if low tech. There were all sorts on it from speed merchants to plodders and we all had a great time

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • Hevipedal if your target is 89kg why not push it out and go for a round 90kg...
  • simmers
    simmers Posts: 92
    Have also signed up for the Rutland & Belvoir, from their site the organisation looks good. Did one sportive before (not Kilotogo) and there was a variety of levels - some raced it, others took it easy. A few hybrids, mostly road bikes (naturally). If you're OK with the distance I'm sure you will enjoy it.
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    I'm also entered the Rutland and Belvoir, my second sportive, did one a month ago (Melton CiCLE), loved it, thought I'd struggle with the distance at pace as I kept in a group going much faster than I normally would, completed the route no trouble, hopefully so will you

The route will be a bit lumpy but not impossible with the last 20 miles or so relatively flat, lovely countryside throughout though

You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • canon dale
    canon dale Posts: 212
    Have entered too, its a local for me.

Did a Kilotogo at Cannock earlier in the year and found the organisation pretty slick on well chosen route (bar one farm track). Feeds were well stocked, transponder timing, good parking and changing facilities provided.

Recommended I would say - give it a try, but maybe start with the shorter ride if worried about not fitting in - terrain is similar and you'll almost be sure to have someone to tag along with.
    "If you build it, they will come"
  • NJA
    NJA Posts: 19
    OK thanks for all your advice.

I have taken the plunge and entered.

Say hello to the big bloke on the White and Blue Orbea when you pass him.

Nick.
  • Hope everyone is looking forward to this on Sunday. The ford should be interesting what with all the rain we've been having!

Very nice, very tasteful
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by guv001</i>

Hevipedal if your target is 89kg why not push it out and go for a round 90kg...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:p]

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martincroxall</i>

Hope everyone is looking forward to this on Sunday. The ford should be interesting what with all the rain we've been having!

Very nice, very tasteful
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If its the one I think it is then theres a small bridge to the right of the ford partially hidden by trees, warned a friend about this last night, he was all ready to get a snorkel!!

Hope it is, sure there will be some who miss it!! Does carbon float?? [;)]

• alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    i did their cheshire cat ride (short one) and can confirm that it is not a road race, although you can't get away from a bit of a competitive spirit. posted 15th fastest time (out of c120) despite there being not one bike worth less than mine in the field[}:)]

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • The bonus of this ride is I can actually ride (well freewheel most of the way) to the start. It'll be a real novelty not having to drive for at least an hour both ways although I may prefer the driving option at the end if I'm stuffed.

Very nice, very tasteful
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!