Advice for long distance tour training

elinfoot
elinfoot Posts: 13
edited December 1969 in Training, fitness and health
Hi folks!

This summer I'm planning on doing a long distance tour from the south of france to the south of spain in 3 weeks with a friend of mine.At the moment I commute 100miles a week to and from work.We're planning on doing approximately 70 miles a day which I've never done before.
How could I train to be able to do this distance everyday with out being too knackered? If I can increase my speed (I get to work in 35minutes normally) as well then so much the better

Thanks
Eric

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by elinfoot</i>

Hi folks!

This summer I'm planning on doing a long distance tour from the south of france to the south of spain in 3 weeks with a friend of mine.At the moment I commute 100miles a week to and from work.We're planning on doing approximately 70 miles a day which I've never done before.
    How could I train to be able to do this distance everyday with out being too knackered? If I can increase my speed (I get to work in 35minutes normally) as well then so much the better

Thanks
    Eric
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You'll be surprised at how easy it is to sustain 60 - 70 miles per day at a moderate speed - say 10 mph.

It only gets hard if you turn the tour into a race.

Get some weekend rides in at the 50 miles per ride mark and once or twice a week add 10 - 15 miles to your commute i.e. set off an hour and a half earlier for work or take longer to come home.

You could try buying Simon Doughty's book The Long distance Cyclist's Handbook and take some guidance from that.

FWIW I had a similar cycling bakground to you but a month before cycling LEJOG, ever four weekends I cycled 2 x 100km, 1 x 150km, 1, x 200km and did a three day mini tour weighing in at 23-24 stone plus camping gear.

Go for it, you'll cope - unfitness is a state of mind [:D]

or as someone else has used as a tag line

'Whether you think that you can or whether you think that you can't, you'll be proved correct.'

Or words to that effect.
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    I think you'll be fine. Try and make that 70mpd an average rather than fixed. Some days I can easily do 100+ other days 50 is enough. Some of this can be determined when planning, hills, amount of navigation, urban areas...other factors like the weather and how well you slept the night before won't be known until the day. The more flexible your plans the better IMO. I'm a recent convert to cycle camping for this reason, it's easier to find somewhere to pitch a tent than a B&B/Hotel/Hostel.
  • Philip Davis
    Philip Davis Posts: 965
    You'll probably find its the discomfort of being on a bike all day that is worse than tiredness. Its important to do a few long days in the saddle to prepare yourself for spending 5 or more hours a day on the bike - not least because this will help you identify any alterations you might need to make to your set up to get things more comfortable. But it sounds to me like you'd have a reasonable amount of fitness for a tour like that.

Obviously, getting as much riding time as possible helps, but I also find that doing a few short sharp sessions is very useful for pushing up speed and strength, even for touring. Simply doing a few 30 second sharp sprints during your commute or general ride would have positive benefits in terms of strength and endurance. If there is a hill on or near your regular route, try pushing hard to get up it (within reason of course).

Another important fitness issue is core strength and flexibility. I've found that pilates and/or yoga exercises both before and done in spare moments during a tour is very beneficial at keeping away aches and pains. Its important to stretch out your quads after a days riding, its amazing how many bike tourers forget this. it really helps with recovery.

Its not quite what you've asked, but nutrition is very important too on a tour, you use up a lot of calories and trace elements when touring, especially in high temperatures, and its not a particularly good idea to be guzzling energy drinks all day. Eat lots of slow release carbs (e.g. porridge for breakfast) during your tour, and get used to lots of little snacks during the day (especially things like fresh and dried fruit and nuts), and hydrate yourself properly. And here's the good news - eat as much as you like in the week or two before setting off!

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.' Hunter S. Thompson

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    Get your body used to long hours on the bike and forget the speedo! If you've got a whole day and commute already, 70 miles a day shouldn't be a big problem. Try it one SUnday - take all day and plenty of food!

My touring companion managed 50-80 kms a day for two weeks without any problem having only cycled an hour a day as practice. Take the first few days very steadily, pause often, eat well and take a day off every 5-7 days - 3 weeks cycling every day might be a bit much.

But you'll have a lovely time, especially in rural Spain with 20 words of Spanish;-) - I believe the Mediteranian coast is not pleasant in high season - cut inland a bit? - lumpier but more 'adventurous' - have fun....

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    i cycled the Pyrenean coast from Perpignan over the border. see here for info

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/perpignan

my trip round Corsica: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/corsica
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by elinfoot</i>

Hi folks!

Thanks
    Eric

As others have said. just take it easy in the first few days. Being on tour is the best training for touring.
    When you start, have rest days, on the beach, museums and art galleries etc. A break from the bike is good for the body and moral.

A tour is not a race, but a journey, both of the countries and especially yourself.

The beginning and end are not what is important.

A tip

Keep away from the coast, except maybe to visit a couple of towns, see the real France and Spain
    Map of my route

http://europejibi.googlepages.com/mapsofroute

enjoy
    george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    The only thing I could add is don't neglect your protein intake while trying to cram in as many carbs as you can. Eat lots of meat. It will stop you getting sore and aching muscles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Infectious Diseases Forums
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • elinfoot
    elinfoot Posts: 13
    Thanks for all the replies.Its all good food for thought .I'm really looking forward to this tour now,it'll be an adventure :) ( an exhausting adventure)
  • elinfoot,

I have just done a cycle ride of 540 miles AND run the 3 Peaks in 6 days.
    I only got a bike in January and the bulk of my training has been a 25 mile into work and upto 40 mile home ride, which I did upto 3 times a week.
    As has been said the distance is not a problem.
    My 'short' days were 80 miles and a run over a Peak.

See my report on my 3Peaks, 2 Legs and a Bike www.colinwatts.co.uk/running/3peaks.htm

Colin
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

The only thing I could add is don't neglect your protein intake while trying to cram in as many carbs as you can. Eat lots of meat. It will stop you getting sore and aching muscles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

Well , I'm a vegetarian , therefore meat is a no-no . . I've managed several trans continental solo tours without any prob's to speak of . Rely on small supermarkets or shops to provide the daily necessary . It's surprising how sustaining junk grub , chocolate and Coca-Cola is .
    Wild camping is the order of the day if you desire a peaceful nights kip . European campsites in high summer are hellish in my brief acquaintance of them . Wash , or have a douse at public fountains or streams . If you don't want to dice it with the ants and flying bugs and laze a night away without shelter or not want to sleep " under the arches " , have a tent that blends in with the country : camoflage ! A dark green flysheet at least . Cooking gear is a total waste of space and effort .
    My rule of thumb is that if you can do a comfortable 25 mile ride today , doing a century on Sunday isn't a problem . And the day after that . And so on . Cycle for pleasure . Training is for those who have a burning desire for ' Strict Discipline ' !!
    Enjoy the trip .

Bruce
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by elinfoot</i>

Hi folks!

Thanks
    Eric

3 weeks isn't long enough for any training so don't worry about it

A lad up the road who was doing LEJoG asked me a similar question last year and my answer was that after a few days your body will adjust- the problem will be with your contact points.

The backside, the feet and the hands.

The good news is that you can get equipment to help you.

Get at least 2 pairs of good shorts, a big tub of sudocreme, gel mitts and Sorbothane insoles.

--
    Drink your souplesse