Mountain Classification

Radsman
Radsman Posts: 122
edited December 1969 in Pro race
Just had a look at the final climb of the Tour de Suisse yesterday and from the profile looked to be 14K at 8.6%. It was considereed a second category climb. Seems similar or more difficult than Huez (which is HC). Different races so maybe different criteria. Plus perhaps the altitude is a factor. Anyone know how this works?

Since, I live close to this climb (Malbun) was thinking of doing it on the weekend.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    The day before they also had a 3rd category climb that caused absolute carnage. Dunno how the categorization is figured out, but I guess a country like Switzerland has a slightly different interpretation of the word "mountain" compared to some flatter countries.
  • From the reports I've read of yesterday's stage everyone was surprised at the classification the race organisation had given the climb. Many compared it to Alpe d'Huez too. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules for classifying climbs. One might expect the UCI to do such a thing but that would require organisational skills.

I wish I'd paid a bit more attention when making my PTP pick though - I'd not realised which climb it was and remember doing this one when I lived in Zurich in the late 1990s. It was tough.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    The category refers to the gear that you had to stick your old Citroen in to get over the mountain. I guess HC means get out and push.

Maybe Swiss cars are just more powerful than French ones [:)]

Cheers,

Andy
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy_welch</i>

The category refers to the gear that you had to stick your old Citroen in to get over the mountain. I guess HC means get out and push.

Maybe Swiss cars are just more powerful than French ones [:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Smirk. Given that the only Swiss car brand I can think of is Smart those old Citroen's couldn't have been capable of pulling the skin off of a rice pudding! [;)]
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    According to the old French automobile mountains classification, Hors Categorie meant something like 'proceed at your own risk'. I used to have a 1930's Citroen Traction Avant and it would leave most contemporary European cars of the era wheezing in it's wake - the only Swiss car makes that come up on Wiki are Ajax and Monteverdi
  • Ahh, the Monterverdi Hai...they only ever made six of 'em but it was an absolute corker in Top Trumps (wanders off into nostalgic haze)!

Did you get planning permission for that sense of humour bypass?