F1/100 tt course

nick22
nick22 Posts: 5
edited December 1969 in Pro race
Hi, just wondered if anyone knows the F1/100 tt course and how fast it is. I know some of it is on the A1 - which is less than enjoyable - but I would be prepared to put up with that if it is a fairly quick course.
Any advice on riding this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Dug
    Dug Posts: 153
    http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/

Try posting on here, you may get advice. I think most posters on this forum talk about pro racing rather than competing themselves.
  • Lou Scp
    Lou Scp Posts: 9
    Having ridden many different variations of the F100 over the years, I'd recommend looking at the E2/100 later in the summer if you want a fast course in the South East. Around half the F100 is usually on the A1 but because local RTTC rules don't allow the A1 to be used after 9am the second half normally goes on to the A505 - a single carrigeway with a lot of roundabouts. It's not really really slow but it's also not the fastest 100 around. Hope that helps [:I]
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Do people still ride on the A1? - I drive up there regularly and wouldn't consider it for a moment for safe cycling - too many spear junctions / slip roads for myopic early morning drivers IMO. It used to freak me out when turning off the M25 onto the A12 and there would some old boy bimbling along for the sake of a fast time. I do ride the occasional TT on local courses, but tearing along a dual-carriageway at 6am in the morning hoping the guy coming down the slip-road at 70mph has seen me isn't one of them. Maybe the Darwin Awards compilers would be interested in registering the starters in their 'close shave' category?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monty Dog</i>

Do people still ride on the A1?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh yes.........the National 50 was there this Sunday.
    http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/res ... 1&ID=52135

The F1/100 changes nearly every season, but Lou S is correct I think in that riders have to be off the A1 by 9 or 10am so it's up and down the Hitchin bypass (A505) after that.

===========================================================================
    http://www.ccluton.com (It's a lifestyle!!)
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I rode the F1/100 last year in the national championships. I'd say it's pretty fast for a 100 - I knocked a slice off my club's (men's) 100 mile record on it. I completely agree with Monty Dog, though - it can't be a good idea to race on the A1 - so I won't be returning to that course in a hurry.

The first 63 miles were up and down the A1, before turning off onto single-carriageway A road for most of the remainder. The last few miles, IIRC, were on a country lane.
  • Lou Scp
    Lou Scp Posts: 9
    Trouble is if you live in North London it's one of the few local DC courses and one of the few 100 courses. It's either ride it and close your eyes when the Waitrose lorries go by or spend time and money (I'm pretty short of both) travelling. And the E2 is not much safer just uses more DC so is probably a bit quicker. I'm supposed to be riding an F20/10 tonight and that's the most frightening of all, especially in evenings but there's not a lot of choice round here. There are just too many cars and people in the south east.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bronzie</i>

.......so it's up and down the Hitchin bypass (A505) after that.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sorry that should read A507 (come off A1 at Jct 10 where A1(M) starts) and head west to Shefford RAB and re-trace to RAB under A1............repeat until dizzy [xx(]