Not my finest hour, cyclecraftwise...

Archcp
Archcp Posts: 8,987
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Some helmetcam footage from Friday... Probably ought to be used in a 'how not too....' film. In my defence, the traffic was very slow and stationary, so I had lots of time, I was never actually endangered, just badly positioned and I had an excuse. If you listen carefully, as I'm at the back of the double decker, you can hear a group of drunken blokes on the pavement shouting 'CID! CID!' (for some reason they seemed to think that my helmetcam and Polite hi-vis waistcoat made me a plain clothed policeman... I supsect they'd come for the Races, which were cancelled, and had been drinking all day) and they were shouting "hey you! CID" and I really wanted to put some space, and something, between me and them...

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/Sue ... m_0001.flv

Funniest thing though, is if you watch each time I turn my head to look back, when I'm stuck on the left of the bus, first the lady on the bus notices the camera, then her husband, and by the time it pulls away, they're both staring...[:D]

Annoyingly, I got my camera angle wrong this morning, so failed to capture a shot of the girl who overtook a bus on the right, despite it indicating to pull out and edging to do so, and there being another bus alongside waiting in the traffic (and ready to let the first bus in once the queue moved). I watched as the gap narrowed - luckily, she made it through, but what a wally.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.

Comments

• Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    You didnt do anything too daft - you stopped and waited rather than trying to get past on the inside. I think I would have gone round the outside of the bus though, but only 'cos I'm very impatient!
  • Archcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Blonde</i>

You didnt do anything too daft - you stopped and waited rather than trying to get past on the inside. I think I would have gone round the outside of the bus though, but only 'cos I'm very impatient!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hmm. If I'd gone round the outside of the bus, I'd have been stuck on the side with the moving traffic oncoming, which would include buses needing to take the corner wide - might have been smeared down the offside of the double decker...[:0]

• mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    Haven't seen the video yet, Arch, but I tend to err on the side of caution, too, when wearing my POLITE vest, rather than overtake the bus on the outside and get caught in no-mans-land.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/Sue ... m_0001.flv

I hate waiting behind buses. I'd've dismounted and walked past the bloody thing.

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    No sound here - so didn't hear the CID bit (although still curious as to whether they were shouting SID or not!!)

Didn't seem that bad - your positioning was unfortunate if you like - but (with the exception of the bus's (sp?) tail swinging bit) you had plenty of time and space, and even then possible a kerb to rely on! I tend not to take traffic coming the opposite way head on either - unless it is also stationary!!!

<font size="1">- Make me a bicycle, clown!
    - All right, I'm going to make you a bicycle. But I don't want to make you a bicycle.
    </font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    firk 'em.I can't read anyway.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

How not to lock a bike. http://i14.tinypic.com/52355zr.jpg
  • Archcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosschops2</i>

No sound here - so didn't hear the CID bit (although still curious as to whether they were shouting SID or not!!)

Didn't seem that bad - your positioning was unfortunate if you like - but (with the exception of the bus's (sp?) tail swinging bit) you had plenty of time and space, and even then possible a kerb to rely on! I tend not to take traffic coming the opposite way head on either - unless it is also stationary!!!

<font size="1">- Make me a bicycle, clown!
    - All right, I'm going to make you a bicycle. But I don't want to make you a bicycle.
    </font id="size1">

No, they were definitely shouting "C - I - D!" Like, individual letters...

I was only going that way to check if the river was in flood (it was, but not yet over the banks - that was Saturday). Normally, I get to turn left, and have almost an empty road, as it's a dead end for cars...

That junction, BTW, seems to have the least effective yellow box in the whole of York. Once the traffic builds up, there's always a bus or a couple of cars sitting in it, trying to look innocent as the lights change and they are stranded...