Alp d'Huez to Chamonix - Opinions

GeorgeBurgess
GeorgeBurgess Posts: 43
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
I just fancy doing this route over my 25th birthday.

http://www.georgeburgessphotography.com/alpdhueztochamonix.jpg

Alp d'Huez is obviously legendary and I have a fondness of Chamonix.

Its 180miles and I'd be doing it in September over 3 or 4 days?

What do you guys think? Anyone cycled those roads?

Thanks

George

Comments

• Tim Bennet
    Tim Bennet Posts: 1,143
    I dont think anyone has cycled those roads - you seem to have included the Mont Blanc tunnel which I'm sure will be a 'no no' for bikes!

After Bourg St Maurice you will have to head up the Cormet de Roseland and not the Petite St Bernard.

If you're youring with kit, this would be a pretty hard three days. Also in September (are you going early or late?) you may have bad weather that can be serious on the Galibier and Is?re. The alternatives are a long way round.

Might be worth considering the Croix de Fer and the Col de la Madeleine which are still big passes but don't go quite as high. Worth remembering if the weather is iffy.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    That route does indeed go thro' the MB tunnel to Courmayeur (no bikes). You need to be thinking of going from Chamonix to Megeve-Flumet-Les Saisies-Beaufort (Cormet de Roselend)-Bourg St.Maurice-Val d'Isere-Briancon-Bourg d'Oisans-Alpe d'Huez. If you can do it, you can go from Chamonix into Switzerland (Martigny), climb up to Champex then over the Grand Col St.bernard to Aosta, then along to Pre St.Didier and over the Petit St.Bernard to Bourg St.Maurice and on from there. Do a Google for the Routed des Grande Alpes.

M.Rushton
    M.Rushton
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    Starting tomorrow, my club, USC Vaison are riding from Vaison to Martigny over 4 days.
    The route is here http://www.velovaison.fr/VAISON-MARTIGNY.xls

You need to look at days 2, 3, and 4 which pass 7km from Bourg d' Oisans then over some classic cols to Martigny via Chamonix.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Craig

www.montventouxwebcam.com
    www.veloventoux.com