Suicidal Schoolgirl

008 Posts: 55
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Was cycling down a bus lane this morning minding my own business when this schoolgirl, who was walking along the pavement with her back to me, suddenly and without looking just steps out into the road.

With the rain, my brakes developed a massive squeak as I hit them and managed to miss her as I swerved... but it was close! Should've seen the shock on her face when she heard my brakes... although she did apologise to me.

As I rode off, I thought to myself she won't do that again in a hurry... when suddenly I hear a load screech of tyres... I look round and see the same schoolgirl nearly being run over (again) by a moped!!

The moped rider pulls up at the traffic lights I had just stopped at, looks across and shouts out 'THAT WAS CLOSE!' The last I saw of her was standing on the other side of the road (how she made it there, I'll never know) looking rather shocked!

Moral of the story for peds... WAKE UP before you leave the house!!!

Comments

• Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    I keep saying this, but thats reason number 2 for primary position being your default, and for me the top reason why most cycle lanes are crap.

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    couldn't she stick to slashing her arms like most depressed teenagers?
    <a>road</a>
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Personally I feel that if you had hit her the fault would have been with you, Morally if not technically. People who bomb down the gutter half a foot from the kerb and hit pedestrians stepping out should be lynched. That was someones daughter FFS!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Grow medical marijuana
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    some peds are dozy though. Just went out to a meeting in a cab which had to do an emergency stop when, on a fairly busy road, some guy just stepped off the footpath, nowhere near a crossing, looking the other way. He jumped a mile when he eventually looked around to see the stationary cab about 3 feet away, but definitely lacking self preservation instinct...
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Personally I feel that if you had hit her the fault would have been with you, Morally if not technically. People who bomb down the gutter half a foot from the kerb and hit pedestrians stepping out should be lynched. That was someones daughter FFS!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But surely a bus would have been "bombing down the gutter half a foot from the kerb" too?

**All I'm trying to do is get to work**
    **All I\'m trying to do is get to work**
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Pedestrians with mobile phones glued to their ears are my bug bear. Not uncommon to have them blithely step out onto the road infront of you, even after eye contact has been made. Brain elsewhere....

Looking on the bright side, there weren't many peds out in this morning's early rain :)
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    It must be the day for suicidal peds. One walk out in front of me on Princes Street, Edinburgh, a dual carriagewy bus only street. He'd got almost halfway accross the outside lane when he chicken out and headed back to the nearside kerb.

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Personally I feel that if you had hit her the fault would have been with you, Morally if not technically. People who bomb down the gutter half a foot from the kerb and hit pedestrians stepping out should be lynched. That was someones daughter FFS!!!
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I keep saying this, but thats reason number 2 for primary position being your default, and for me the top reason why most cycle lanes are crap.

Sorry for confusion... I was in primary position, in the middle of the bus lane, and wasn't even pedalling at the time as the set of lights ahead, approx 20-30 metres, had just turned red.

When I said 'steps out into the road', it wasn't a small step, it was quite a big step and all the time she had her back towards the traffic!!

I totally agree, if I had been bombing down the gutter, there would definitely have been a collision.

The fact that she nearly got wiped out by a moped only 3 seconds later, clearly shows she was half asleep or she has never heard of the 'green cross code'. FYI, traffic was stationary in the lane next to the bus lane and she walked between the stationary cars without looking for overtaking vehicles, i.e. the moped.

Domtyler - your response seem to insinuate that I'm some kind of hooligan on wheels... FYI, I'm not an agressive rider and the only word I said as I swerved around her was 'oooops'. Although I was close to hitting her, the relatively slow speed I was travelling at enabled me to swerve around her quite comfortably.
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    008 it is always your fault, you should have developed by now a sixth sense.

If the space station fell from the sky and hit you it would still be your fault, you should have known.

You should have realised that PED's are dangerous useless idiots and as such cannot be expected to look before they step into the road, we should just accept it, in much the same way if you get hit by a car turning left it was your fault as you should'nt have been there.

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>By el presidente</i>

couldn't she stick to slashing her arms like most depressed teenagers?

el presidente, self harm is a very serious issue whether the individual does it to seek attention, or for more personal reasons. Making fun of something so dangerous and nasty is potentially damaging, and does not help further the willingness of self-harmers to come forward and seek help. I'm sure a racist / xenophobic comment wouldn't go down well, and I believe this is something along those lines.

Individals who self harm are in a totally different mindset to most other people, they are constantly in a very fragile, vulnerable state. Even those who are recovering from the illness can be set back all to easily. Dissmissal of their condition is further pressure to hide the damage, and not deal with the causes.

I apologise if I seem overly agressive about your comment, but I have a vested interest in this subject, and have campained at my uni and local hospital about how self-harming indivduals are treated.

It isn't something to joke about, and it isn't something these individuals can just snap out of. Once again, I'm sure you didn't intend anything by your comment, and I'm sorry if I have replied out of all proportion, this is just something I feel particularly strongly about.

Jacomus

cupoftea - LOL!!![:D]

I have nothing against peds as I normally ride quite defensively... you can normally see the ones who are about to walk out without looking, e.g. on the phone.

This girl gave no indication whatsoever. She was walking along the pavement and then suddenly decides to step out into the road without so much as turning her head. Must've been trying to rely on her sixth sense.

Anyway, no real harm done, apart from that poor girl's heart, and I do hope that she's learnt her lesson. The last thing I want is for her, or anyone else in that matter, get run over!
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    Well said jacomus. I'm sure el presidente was actually just making a throw away smart remark, but when you have a personal connection to an issue, it becomes a little more important.

Cupoftea - are you never a ped yourself then? Do you count yourself in with the "dangerous useless idiots"? What about me - I'm a ped well over half the time... I spend as much time on my bike avoiding dopey cyclists and other vehicles as I do pedestrians... It's just good roadcraft. Something 008 seems to have plenty of, but ssometimes you can't account for the really switched off ones...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.

Edit for typos
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Jac, noted, my apologies.
    <a>road</a>
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    Arch, my issue is the way we seem to instantly blame the cyclist for any mistake, regardless.

I know we all make mistakes, but this doesn't seem the attitude on here, in addition I'm afraid most PED's are idiots in London, I spend my time wondering when the next idiot is going to do something stupid.

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • Sheddy
    Sheddy Posts: 942
    Many moons ago I had a student just run off the pavement into the wing of my Mini. I just saw her body tossed down the side of the car. I stopped, sheet scared, heart racing but she was fine.
    We then spent 20 mins looking for her shoes which hsd been thrown some distance
    Too much of anything is too much for me
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Quite a few cyclists are idiots too. Just last week some granny here in Bromley was riding along the pavement in all her HiViz gear, and just as I'm coming up behind her (well, I was on the road of course), she swerves off the pavement and into the road. All without looking. I had enough room because some instinct told me to go a little wide subconciously, but I still got a fright and gave her a blip on the airzound as a result.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Ant Evans
    Ant Evans Posts: 344
    These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly! Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness. Throw yourself into the road darling, you haven't got a chance.

Beer is part of the solution. Are you?

Calm is an arm.
  • <font color="red">el_presidente

Posted - 18/06/2007 : 14:56:51

couldn't she stick to slashing her arms like most depressed teenagers? </font id="red">

Sorry but was that really necessary what you posted??

Not only has it offended me as unfortunately I've done that myself but sadly theres loads of kids doing it due family problems, drug related problems and abuse amongst other stuff.

So next time just think about what you say ok!!

Sorry if I sound harsh dude but its a very sore subject!!

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241 ... campag.jpg
  • Kobie
    Kobie Posts: 19
    I live in Amsterdam & every single day during my commute through the city of about 15 minutes, I'll have to avoid at least 5 or 6 people (pedestrians AND cyclists) who just wander out in front of me without looking.

I've never encountered a nation like them - It's more normal NOT to look where you're going than it is to look. I don't know how more of them aren't killed.

And don't get me started on those drunk/stoned tourists :)
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

Hilarious.The peds I hit last year had run from the <font color="red">island in the middle of the road.</font id="red">[:I].

Tower Bridge 1991.I can't ride primary position forever it isn't safe.

Peds have to take their own safety into account and not cross at the lights when they are green and when it isn't safe like today FFS![:(!]

That was Stratford.In the same incident I stuck my finger on the horn button.Although my 6v Moped horn isn't as harsh as an airzound it did it's job and made the peds think without making them brick it.[:)]

Also thanks to the two peds who picked up my MP3 player when it fell into the road at Stratford and probably saved it from being crushed.
    Thank god it was safe for you to do something so nice for me.[:X]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

How not to lock a bike. http://i14.tinypic.com/52355zr.jpg
  • T800
    T800 Posts: 672
    FFS dom! Take it easy. [:)]

Don't know the age of the schoolgirl in this situation -- maybe she's too young to have developed a good awareness of danger and a sense of the importance of looking before she leaps -- but I'd say most people who post on here have had near misses with peds (and other cyclists and motor vehicle users) of all ages who don't seem to have a sense of personal responsibility for their own safety, let alone that of others on the roads. Hopefully most of the people posting on here know that they need to be wary of other road and path users.

Sure, as cyclists we have a duty of care to make sure we proceed in a manner and at a speed that is appropriate to the environment, but it takes just a split second for someone to skip out into the path of a cyclist, even if that cyclist is in the primary position.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

<font face="Times New Roman"><font size="1"> Just a pic of my bike.</font id="size1"></font id="Times New Roman">
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <font face="Times New Roman"><font size="2"><font color="teal">So, after a lot of thought, I'd like to reconsider. Please, if it's not too late, make it a cheeseburger.</font id="teal"></font id="size2"></font id="Times New Roman">
    So, after a lot of thought, I'd like to reconsider. Please, if it's not too late, make it a cheeseburger.

Just a pic of my bike.
  • Thanks el presidente, much appriciated.

• Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    Halfords, if you'd read down a bit, you'd see that that point has been made, and el presidente has taken it on board and apologised...

• Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cupoftea</i>

Arch, my issue is the way we seem to instantly blame the cyclist for any mistake, regardless.

My own post regarding cycle lanes didn't put blame on the cyclist; if anything it was aimed to vindicate the cyclist for <i>not</i> being in such a position.

But more importantly, cyclists are shown every day that they're expected to be in the gutter. Thats where cycle lanes are, and it isn't uncommon to get needless hassle from motorists who try to bully you out of primary position. Is it any wonder that many cyclists think thats the way to ride?

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • thanks arch, i did realise that, its just a very sore subject, i apoligise also to el_presidente.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241/ashh2_album/
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    Cab if a ped is on the edge of a pavement you always tend to know ou are on a sticky wicket if you are cycling in the gutter.It isn't really rocket science.As it isn't my hobby colliding with them I do virtually anything in my power to avoid them.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

How not to lock a bike. http://i14.tinypic.com/52355zr.jpg
  • Kobie
    Kobie Posts: 19
    So when do people ring their bells?

Personally it depends on my mood - sometimes I'm too polite, but I've recently got a small bell that makes a nice little 'ting' rather than the traditional loud 'ring-ring'. If I think somebody's about to jump in front of me I can let out a polite little 'I'm here' type ring without scaring the crap out of them.

Though sometimes it's nice to come right up close behind them after they've stepped out onto the road & let them have it [}:)]

K.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    I cycle along the A11 and through the City of London, along Bishopsgate etc. every day during rush hour and I never have problems with pedestrians, I repeat never. And I can also predict that I never will. When they are anywhere near me I take all due care, I treat them as people rightfully going about their business rather than a nuisance that is going to totally ruin my day by preventing me from going 25mph down a crowded street.

It's not rocket science or some secret method of cycling, this is just standard. Stay away from the gutter, IT IS DANGEROUS! If you do go there take extreme care and be prepared for people to walk out in front of you, they cannot hear you coming.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    No2 Vaporizer Reviews
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • goo_mason
    goo_mason Posts: 148
    I've lost count of the number of times people have wandered across the road in front of me without looking before they step off the pavement. I think it's because they haven't heard the sound of a car approaching so they don't even bother checking. Never mind - Darwinism will catch up one day when they're mown down by a Toyota Prius...

Cheers !

Grant
    Three From Leith podcast
    www.threefromleith.com
    Cheers !

Grant
    Three From Leith podcast
    www.threefromleith.com
  • That is part of the problem too - they either assume that because you are a bike you aren't capable of moving at 25mph and step out, where if you were a car they wouldn't think of it. Also they assume that if they can't hear anything, there can't possibly be anything there!

I do agree with your point about them going about their rightful business, I just wish they would look around a bit more! Seriously though, the only place I have a problem with peds is on the corner near my office, where they stream over the road and jay-walk en-masse, and a good 2 out of 5 days a week I will get abuse for coming out of a turning I shouldn't have! Read the road signs people, its a bus & cycle lane, and cyclists can legitimately turn right.

Until cyclists stop harrassing them at red lights and on pavements and the wrong way up one way streets, they aren't going to give a sh*t about getting in our way on the road.