Diesel spill

Jacomus-rides-Gen
Jacomus-rides-Gen Posts: 453
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Coming into work this morning I wiped out on a diesel spill. I braked from about 20mph for a corner that has a road coming in from the left making a kind of Y shape, hit a big diesel spill and with a comically high pitched "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH" almost lost the front, then (nearly) got it back, and in the resulting wiggle accidentally unclipped my right foot, slipped off the saddle and crushed my crown jewels into the top tube. Then fell off kind of sideways and forwards at the same time in a rather drunken looking lurch before sliding to a stop still holding the bike in a kind of riding position all accompanied by a nasty grating sound of my body-armour's elbow and shoulder.

A couple of peds who were around rushed to help, so a big thank you to them, and also a big thank you to the taxi driver who must have had coffee with his breakfast and avoided running me over without any drama at all. I was pretty stunned and my right hand and bits and pieces hurt <u>a damn lot</u>, they helped me up and I staggered around a bit before gingerly riding the last 300meters to the office. I'm definitely <u>very</u> sore downstairs, and if it doesn't get much better anytime soon I'm going to have to go to the health centre and get checked out.

Does anyone know who to report spills to? This one is pretty large and right where you want to brake for this corner if you are avoiding all the manhole covers, I can see more than just me having a moment on this patch today.

Spill location is here http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1057126 going NE just in case anyone rides around here.

Comments

• joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    Not nice. have some virtual sympathy on me.....

I still take the corner where I last came off very carefully, even if it's bone dry and sunny.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <i><b><font size="3"><font color="violet">
    pink is the new black</font id="violet">
    </i></b></font id="size3">
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • My commiserations, too! I hope you and the bike are more or less OK.

Very similar thing happened to me a few months ago: I making a right turn to my front door at no more than 20 km/h, the front wheel slipped on a bit of oil or diesel and before I knew it, I was skidding sideways. Now I slow right down before making the same turn!
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Commiserations, that is not pleasant.

Now, are you going to add a cricket box to your ensemble of armor? j/k...

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • I saw that. Luckily i videotaped it so i'm gonna Youtube it soon.

Might send it to You've Been Framed, get meself œ500 quid for it, y'know.
  • richteacp
    richteacp Posts: 1,137
    As the unwilling benefactor of a testes/top tube incident myself, I feel your pain. Commisserations.

<font size="1">--
    esta elefante del beb‚ me molesta</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">--
    esta elefante del beb‚ me molesta</font id="size1">
  • Ouch, hitting diesel is very nasty. Probabaly best to see a doctor just in case.

Also happened to my work colleague this a.m. at about 7 o'clock. Similar bend but in the West End.

He's just left hsopital H&E with a wedge fracture of his 9th vertaebra. Lots of pain for 2 to 3 weeks.

The spillage was in Curzon Street, London W1, but when i arrived the Police had closed the road anda council cleaner was scrubbing the road. My mate was in the ambulance in some shock.

Be careful out there....

17 years commuting up and down the King's Road and i still don't get faster...
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    ouch, commiserations - it's all the worse for the suddenness. I had the same thing a few months back - front end gone beyond recovery in less than the reaction time. Landed on shoulder and head so not as painful as your injuries. As for who to report it to, I'd love to know - was pretty mad about it at the time.
  • Hi everyone, thanks for your comments - I'm still sore, but have been checked out now and nothing is damaged. The doctor said that I could probably expect perenial bruising, but to only start worrying if it didn't go away in 2 days. My hand is ok apart from a small graze, and my bike is fine as I cushioned the blow!

I found out that you should report diesel spills to the local Police authority via their website. I got a response in about 25 minutes saying that they were reacting to the situation. I'll update when I go home as to what they have done.

Safe riding everyone.

• jhon
    jhon Posts: 37
    "I still take the corner where I last came off very carefully, even if it's bone dry and sunny."

SAME HERE!!! This morning the road were wet and turning into the corner where I wiped out last week. I was so slow I swear I would have been quicker had I got off and walk
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jhon</i>

"I still take the corner where I last came off very carefully, even if it's bone dry and sunny."

SAME HERE!!! This morning the road were wet and turning into the corner where I wiped out last week. I was so slow I swear I would have been quicker had I got off and walk

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bah thats nothing, theres parts of my ride where at some point in the future I have a wipe out so terrifying, that the fear from that extends backwards in time to the present. [:D]

Hence theres parts of my commute where Im on the brakes crawling along, thinking to myself these are the places where these wipe outs will unfold, and "is today the day?" its really not a pleasant thought [:D]

Hopefully will be able to report the exact degree of injuries here when they do happen...