Motorbikes & ASLs

squiredcp
squiredcp Posts: 964
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Are they allowed in the ASL boxes?

The reason I ask is that I was riding along behind an argument between a motorcyclist and a cyclist this morning. Clearly the cyclist had said something to him about being in the ASL box, and the motorcyclist was giving him plenty of verbal abuse in return, including him saying that he is legally allowed in there now.

Comments

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    They're not allowed there.
    Or in bus or cycle lanes.

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I think they are allowed in some bus lanes in Westminster. Personally I don't mind bikers in the ASL, it's quite logical given their similar road use to us.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    not unless marked, I've scootered for six week up to three weeks ago and always went in there, there's almost always shags of room in there and the scooter and the bike shouldn't be using the same bit unless the bike is turning right, I always gave way and most other scooter and motor bikes did too, sounds like someone was getting precious to me
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tynan</i>

sounds like someone was getting precious to me
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little motorcyclist. Wicked, tricksy, false!
    [}:)][;)]

Legally, I don't think motorcycles are supposed to use ASL's but personally, I have no problem with them doing so. At the end of the day, they're vulnerable road users and I would argue probably more vulnerable than cyclists given their higher relative speed.

Only ever regret the things you didn't do!

Only ever regret the things you didn\'t do!
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    I'm with you Paul L.

Given that I live on a main road with a part time bus lane, there are generally in the mornings one bike per 200 metres, and fewer buses - motorbikes aren't allowed. The car lane is always full and crawling - 5-15 mph generally (as I'm only a mile or so from the city centre).

When motorbikes are in the bus lane, they used to really get my goat. Not for zooming along too fast - just in a self-righteous - that's not a bike you know kind of way.

However two weeks ago, my next door neighbour pulled out of her drive to turn right, having been "flashed" out. She then accelerated out through the gap, into the empty lane (going to the right, out of town), and smacked into a biker, who was overtaking on the outside of the line of cars.

Whilst I think technically it was his fault, he was in the right position, and simply had not anticipated a car pulling out - not out of a side street, which he should generally have anticipated, but out of a gap in the cars.

All I'm saying is, where there aren't so many motorbikes as to make the bus lane full, or remotely dangerous, I have sympathy for motorbikes using the lane....

<font size="1">- Make me a bicycle, clown!
    - All right, I'm going to make you a bicycle. But I don't want to make you a bicycle.
    </font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • Tynancp
    motorbikes should not be in the bus lane, and I think they almost always stay out of it, cops will do you you for sure, up the outside is the rule, people turning right is a real danger, I had a very near miss a few weeks ago on the scooter, but it's the car driver's fault every time, they simply do not consider the idea of a bike coming up the outside of the traffic, not good enough, being flashed out means nothing other than that one person is intending to let you out
  • srw647
    srw647 Posts: 135
    Bus lane -- no. Definitely not.
    ASL -- not legally, but I'm glad they do. That means they're where I can see them and they stay out of my way.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Motor bikes have exhaust pipes that are usually higher than those of cars and sometimes angled upwards. When waiting at lights they fill the air with stinky, poisonous fumes so I particularly dislike it when they're in front of me.

This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    I don't see why motorbikes should be in advance boxes. Those boxes are there to put cyclists in the safest place where they're most visible and where we're not breathing in such concentrated traffic fumes, one of the things we're meant to be safer <i>from</i> is motorbikes.

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • CycleLal
    CycleLal Posts: 431
    it's also worth noting that not all bus lanes are for cyclists - it depends on the markings. For example the lane I use every day to turn right from Borough High St on to Tooley St at London Bridge - it's buses only. No cabs, no cyclists. But....it's so handy....

And personally i hate motorbikes in ASLs/bus lanes, but they're bigger than me, so I have stopped arguing with them. Plus you can't hear what they say, it's all "mmwmhmmunm mummwnmm"
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    They can use the ASL or bus lane, none of them ever bother me

It helps them get out of everyones way quicker, so i think they should be encouraged, then more people might start riding 2 wheels instead of 4....

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

Motor bikes have exhaust pipes that are usually higher than those of cars and sometimes angled upwards. When waiting at lights they fill the air with stinky, poisonous fumes so I particularly dislike it when they're in front of me.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Added to the fact they usually clog up the ASL feeders so your forced to sit behind them and breath the fumes generously directed straight into your face

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <i><b><font size="3"><font color="violet">
    pink is the new black</font id="violet">
    </i></b></font id="size3">
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • Tynancp
    bad riders if their riding interferes with cyclists, tbh I didn't scooter much in central London but I almost never came close to cyclists and gave them priority and a wide birth when I did

if you had training and experience of riding a scooter/motorbike, much of it is very similar to cyclist stuff, position, line, and protecting yourself from cars, including getting in front of the traffic at the lights, again though, there's loads of room there for everyone surely?

I'm riding through town these days and I don't really get close to the motorcyclists and they're good as gold when I do
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Well said Mister Paul.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    BMW GINA
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Don't mind them in the ASL but why do they always have to block access to it for everyone else?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    MAZDA CX-7 HISTORY
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    It bothers me if there's no room for cyclists. The ASL by Regent's Park is always full of scooters and motorbikes and there's oftern no room for cyclists (like today in fact). Which is a bit annoying given that in general the motorbikes and scooters aren't supposed to be there.
  • until I changed my commute and now head into the centre of london I had no problem with them, now I do. As they are faster they usually get to ASLs before any cyclists can do and they are so numerous that it can fill completely up with motorised two wheelers before you have a chance to get there. Then, as pointed out earlier, you're stuck breathing in their fumes, also ASLs were there to make junctions safer for SLOW cyclists (to stop them getting cut up by cars turning corners etc), motorcyclists using ALSs is the same as cylists jumping RLs, it's just so they can get somewhere faster. I don't mind most of them using bus lanes (and some bus lanes they can e.g. bus lane from Brixton into town on Brixton road) but like any form of transport you get some who speed past inches from you - again negating the 'safety' aspects of cyclists using bus lanes. Still, for me the main problem in the bus lanes is bad cyclists!

On the 8th day God made a bicycle, and he saw that it was good. (actually personally he thought it was his best invention yet)
  • no problems with bikers in the ASLs.

Jonny
    FGG #2545 & #2983
    Jonny

FGG 2545, 2983
  • Black Keith
    Black Keith Posts: 224
    there's no room for motorbikes in the asls round here, they are all full up with buses and cars.
    it's ok, I sit in front of them.