Triathlon

jonmitchell26
jonmitchell26 Posts: 9
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here is involved in Tri at all? I am just starting out and am in the process of purchasing bike. If anyone has any tips on where i might get good affordable introduction bike that would be great. Also i realise this is probably a stupid question but on the bike stage do i need to where my running shoes to make the transition quick or would people generally wear cycling shoes and change for the running leg??

Comments

• simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    Hi Jon,

Most triathletes will use proper bike shoes and then change into runners. The advantages offered by clipping in far outweigh the time in transition even in a sprint triathlon.
    The bike really depends on your budget. If you are on a tight budget, getting a basic road bike and adding good wheels, SPD pedals and a cheap aero bar would be fine. The more you spend, the smaller the gains in performance generally, BUT you notice every performance benefit so you will want to spend as much as you can :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/thefirstsimbil/Bikes
  • Hi
    Thanks for the swift response. I will look into shoes now. I have shortlisted the following 2 bikes (I think).

Specialized Allez 16 - 2007
    Trek 1000 - 2006

What would you reckon? Do you think as a complete novice i would be able to tell the difference between the 2? The Trek is œ100 cheaper so i am leaning that way but dont want to be tight if it means i miss out on something that will benefit me.

Thanks again!
  • simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    If you could manage œ600 - this would be a good start:
    http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... 5360026040

Otherwise the Trek would be alright to get you started. Not sure about the Allez 16 though.

You'll also need to budget for pedals (Shimano 105 SPD are fine and cheap), shoes (ebay has some real bargains here if you don't mind second hand) and maybe some tri-bar clip-ons in the future when your bike handling skills are good. Plus shorts and top of course ;), and basic tools... The list goes on and on :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/thefirstsimbil/Bikes
  • Thanks for that! Looks like im going to need to re mortgage! Thanks for the advice!
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Hi,

Practice your transitions as you could lose more time here than you have gained through all the training you have ever done.
    Forget spending a small fortune on equipment and look at your technique in all three (four if you include the transitions) disciplines. The gains that can be got for free are also the ones that will pay the biggest dividends.

Top tips:
    -Get a few swimming lessons with a Tri specific coach
    -Research running technique on the internet
    -Research Cycling Aerodynamics on the internet
    -Buy some elastic laces for your trainers
    -Have a way of finding your station in the transition area, e.g. a unique towel
    -Know the courses, swim the swim course, cycle the cycle course, run the run course (if possible, otherwise have a good look to familiarise yourself). In short, DON'T GET LOST.
    -Set up your transition area at home again and again so that you know where everything is on the day and use it in a dry run. I.e. out on your wetsuit, take it off and get into your bike shoes and kit, take it off and get into your run stuff.

Now if only I could learn to follow my own advice!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Marijuana Card
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    If you're in London, have you joined a club?
    Thames Turbo seem pretty good, as do the London Serpentine.
    Worth going along before spending money on kit! Depends on what level you wish to compete at.

Tri&Run will hire you a bike - you can at least see if you like it.
    We have one of their bikes - Nice and good value, though the finishing kit is not as nice as my more expensive Condor.

You will really be needing a time trial bike for a good time, however these are not cheap.... plus money for shoes, pedals, Tri-bars, and an aero helmet though few people seem to wear them.
    Plus for training runs, you'll need a lightweight waterproof, poss. lighting, seatpack and puncture kit/spare tube, bottle cages, bottles.
    Trek do some "cheap" TT bikes.

Personally, I like Condor bikes, as they're nicely set up, but you will need to stomp up at least 750 notes!

Something like the Trek 1000 would make a good all round bike / winter trainer - the 1000 has mudguard eyes. Not sure about the Spez.

Have you tried doing a duathlon/aquathlon? Useful for transition work.
    Google tri-quays, though this is poss. a bit too far away for you.

Sigma Sport in Kingston are another great shop - though their bikes are, again not cheap! Check out the tri packages on their website.

Might be worth talking to GB Cycles in Croydon too - Not sure what price Planet-X bikes, who are sold by them, start at.

The important thing is to get yourself to a good bike shop who will size you up correctly, and preferably offer you a test ride on your chosen bike.
  • I will join a club but am struggling for time at the moment! Swimming is a bit of a weekness for me so that is where i need to concentrate. I will look for a local coach for some tips. I think i am going to go for the Trek bike. There are some good discounts on last seasons model still! I will also get practicing those transitions in the garden! Neighbours are going to think i am nuts!! I have found a Tri suit that you can wear for all 3 events but cant imagine it being comfortable and foresee it chafing?? Anyone shed any light?
  • walkercp
    walkercp Posts: 1,012
    All I know about tri's is you should clip your shoes on before you get on the bike, so when you get to the stage your shoes are already on, and you can pedal away and put your shoes on while on the bike. it sounds hard but I've seen it done so many times

Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
    Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    You really will benefit the most from joining a club - you will glean far more information and gain more confidence than reading any amount of web pages. Decent clubs have swim coaches so you shouldn't need to shell-out on 1:1 coaching at your stage. My local club have regular pool-based 'club' events targetted at beginners too. Getting a proper bike fit at œ25 or so seems expensive, but you'll be more comfortable and easily save that money on not buying parts you don't need - usually refundable if you buy the bike from them anyway. Include some basic bike shoes and clipless pedals in your budget - the convenience and performance benefits are immense. Worry more about quality of service and fit on your bike at this stage - most bikes at your price point are accomplished enough not to start worrying about brands etc.
  • Mr P
    Mr P Posts: 548
    jonmitchell26;
    1. Aim to enjoy it. It's very easy to get anal about it all, but at the end of the day it's about enjoyment and accomplishment. You don't have to spend loads to compete to a reasonable standard.
    2. Any road bike at your price point will perform fine - both the Trek and the Spesh are good bikes that you can add to as you progress (eg tri-bars for longer events, lighter wheels etc) If you intend to use in winter/commuting, the Trek can take mudguards iirc. As advised, make sure the bike fits you.
    Eventually you may think you are good enough for a better bike or a TT/Tri-specific machine, but frankly you'd have to be pretty damn good or committed to justify a dedicated expensive bike. (Unless you can comfortably afford it, in which case another bike becomes a necessity!) And it really isn't a case of "the most expensive bike wins", believe me!
    3. Practice your transitions (but remember point 1). A tri-suit isn't necessary but is a very functional garment; saves messing about in transitions, helps prevent chafing/nipple rub on the run, and makes you look like a god if you have the physique and the lunchbox (even if you don't, there is someone else competing that looks worse than you, believe me).
    4. Joining a club isn't necessary but would be great for getting experience and is potentially a cheap way of getting swim coaching if you need it. If the events you intend to do are open water, any experience you can get in a wetsuit and in murky water would really help; swimming in a wetsuit can feel a bit strange, not being able to see the "lines on the bottom" of the lake (or even your hands), and not being able to put your feet down or hang on to the side can sometimes be scary.
    5. Pick your events - if you look around, you will find some events that have proportionately short swim legs, that may help you if your swimming is weak. It is multisport though, so you can be a poor swimmer and make it up if you are strong on the other two events - in fact, you would probably lose less time overall being a weak swimmer than a weak runner.
    6. Remember to enjoy it - I'm in the 40+ age group, and there is a great sense of camaraderie (sp?) whether people are there to win, or just to improve on their last time....
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Good point Mr. P...

http://www.witts-end.demon.co.uk/Eelmoor/
    (Tri-Quays duathlon)
    If you look carefully, you'll see that any type of bike will do - There are a couple of MTBs in the shots.
    Always a friendly informal bunch.

The Thames Turbo tri. is good - friendly, nice pool (the Hampton Lido) etc.
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    Like Mr P I've found them to be very friendly events. The serious guys do take it more seriously obviously but a good laugh can definately be had.

Your Tri-suit will probably be very comfy for all 3 events.

Don't take your bike out of the rack before you put your helmet on or take your helmet off before you rack your bike! Most marshalls aren't really bothered but I've met one who was. I was very nearly disqualified for removing my helmet three foot away from racking the bike.

A number belt is a good cheap way of saving time in transition too. (œ5)

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> I'm just going outside . . . I may be some time.</i></font id="size1">
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    I have just got into it and done 2 so far. FANTASTIC

I joined a club mainly for the swimming coaching and it has helped enormously - very friendly too, much wider age range, and about 20% female. More friendly than cycling clubs

A standard road bike is fine - perhaps stick aero bars on. Do get elastic laces for shoes (I have them in both cycling and runnign shoes)

Log onto to www.tritalk.co.uk for lots of tips

my trip round Corsica: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/corsica
  • Thank you all for your tips! Im looking forward to my first event!!
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Great to hear! I started last year (drunken dare) and have been loving it - and its effect on my vanishing belly! (I ride a Lemond Etape, comparable to the bikes you're looking at, with tri-bars)

Tri-Talk is great. Very good forum, very helpful and full of good advice with a range of posters from utter newbs to people seriously competing at Ironman distance. Recommended.

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • jay_clock
    and one of the best bits about Tri-talk is that the first 4 sections are 100% tri related and the last one 100% not tri related - people use it for tri talk rather than feeble slanging matches

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Interesting thread as I've entered my first tri (Erewash novice tri). It's only 2.5 weeks away.

As an interim measure you may want to look at tri shorts. I didn't fancy a tri suit as I'm a bit self conscious of everything wobbling, but tri shorts to swim in (pool swims!) and a running vest/cycling top for the other two disciplines. Tri shorts were also cheaper, so if I hate doing the tri I won't have wasted too much money!

If you are looking at Trek bikes don't consider the Pilot 1.0 for the tri. I have one and love it. But it has brake levers on the cross bar, making it difficult to get tri bars on. I didn't buy my bike with tri's in mind, but with hindsight I'd probably have gone with the 1000.

I have a question for the experienced tri people out there. Over a sprint (400m swim, 10 mile bike, 5k run) will I lose more time changing between bike shoes (SPD) to runners at the transition than wearing my running shoes (with flat pedals) for the bike and then being able to set straight off on the run???
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    Hammerite- having done both methods of footwear - wear your SPD's and change into your running shoes - big difference on the bike. If you can splash œ5 on some elasticated lock laces that'll save you a bit of time changing into your running shoes.

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> I'm just going outside . . . I may be some time.</i></font id="size1">
  • jay_clock
    Agreed about using two types of shoes. I have Specialized taho shoes, which have laces and a single velcro strap. They are great with elastic laces, then i slip them off and stick running shoes on. If I could find the right colours I would change ALL shoes in my posession to elastic laces!

• hammerite
    OK thanks guys. You've sold it to me, I'll be off at lunch to get a number belt and a couple of sets of elasticated laces!
  • AndyGates
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hammerite</i>

I didn't fancy a tri suit as I'm a bit self conscious of everything wobbling, but tri shorts to swim in (pool swims!) and a running vest/cycling top for the other two disciplines.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Magic corset, mate. I swear mine is made from super-hero suit material! Cheap and cheerful but good tri suits are from Planet X.

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jonmitchell26</i>

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here is involved in Tri at all?

Also i realise this is probably a stupid question but on the bike stage do i need to wear my running shoes to make the transition quick or would people generally wear cycling shoes and change for the running leg??
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I don't do triathlons but duathlons, and as many others have pointed out, I recommend you practice transitions. You can save up to 3 mins at each transition, which with two transitions per race is 6 mins total, and represents in cycling distance maybe 3 Km, so not to be laughed at.

For a short duathlon, say 5-25-5, unless you are really quick in the transition, I wouldn't bother changing shoes unless you are are a much better cyclist than a runner.
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    My wife is into triathlon and from what I have learned as a supporter the swim is most peoples weakness, so don't panic. Agree that lessons or even joining a swim club is great advice but more time is to be gained from the bike and run stage. If you are strong on these two you will do better than if you're an awesome swimmer with no stamina! The people at these events are usually friendly, especially the supporters, who usually all think the competitors are mad!
  • ClaireV
    ClaireV Posts: 967
    The Trek 1000 is fine for triathlons. I did my first three on one last year and managed top 5 placings in my age group in all of them, ahead of many people with dedicated tri bikes. This year I've splashed out and bought a time trial bike, but I've rather caught the bug - unless you can get a really good deal on a second hand one, you definitely don't want to go buying a TT bike until you're sure you're going to stick with it. It is worth investing in some cheap clip-on aero bars for the Trek though. I used ITM Olympus ones, which were about 30 quid and immediately took a minute and a half off my 10 mile time trial time. You need to practice with them a few times before you use them in a race though. Initially it'll feel extremely wobbly and unsafe, so go somewhere quiet to try them out, but after a couple of goes you'll be completely comfortable on them and wonder what the problem was.

Elastic laces on your running shoes are an absolute necessity. I've done 5 triathlons now, and in all of them except one the weather has been terrible. Trying to do up shoelaces with freezing cold hands is next to impossible, and elastic laces are a godsend in these conditions.

Most importantly - enjoy yourself, and good luck!
  • hammerite
    Thanks for the answers to my questions earlier guys.

My first triathlon (Erewash Novice sprint tri) was testerday, my swim (400m) was a little ragged to say the least, but I knew it would be. My transition though was a lot smoother than I imagined it would be, but it was helped by the fact I could leave a towel and my cycle shoes by the pool for the run in to transition area. I did the swim and t1 in 13m 50.

I struggled in the first 3 miles of the cycle but started flying after that, I found 10 miles too short though for this leg as I'd only just got itno the swing of it. I'd prepared my bike pretty well, but didn't think to tighten up the nut/bolt on my cycle computer which decided to work itself loose after 1 mile! I held onto it until the bolt totally fell out and just shoved it down my shorts (I had no pockets, luckily the comp was wireless!). Did the cycle and T2 in 31m 36

Running was my strong point anyway and my legs weren't too bad getting off the bike which was a pleasant surprise. I managed the run in 23m 34. After being in the bottom third of the field after the swim I managed to finish in the top third overall, so quite happy.

Enjoyed it thoroughly, and I reckon I may do a few more sprints before the end of the season. If I can sort my swimming out I may even try something a bit further.
  • AndyGates
    Good work that man! Fun, isn't it? :D
  • DomT
    DomT Posts: 648
    Jon, I don't know if it is any use to you, but noticed that Sigma Sport do a few starter deals: http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/store/tripa ... t_fra.html
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Jay Clock wrote:
    Agreed about using two types of shoes. I have Specialized taho shoes, which have laces and a single velcro strap. They are great with elastic laces, then i slip them off and stick running shoes on. If I could find the right colours I would change ALL shoes in my posession to elastic laces!

I have used my Specialized Taho shoes for the cycle leg for a few years now. These are generally for my daily/commute ride. The full-on professionals run barefoot in the transitions, but then they generally have nice carpet etc too. I dunno how your tris are set up, but we have gravel, sticks, sand, turf - anything. So, I agree with others - I'm not competing in the olympics, so the extra power I'd get from using my road shoes isn't worth the bother.

In fact, at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games a NZ guy (used to be big... Hamilton I think?) did the cycle leg in his running shoes - must've had ye olde pedal clip/cages on his bike, I didn't see. Consequently, his transition from bike to ride was LIGHTNING fast. This is what I used to do before I got the Tahos.

I just have a lower/mid entry road bike, and later I've put an aero bar on it (sourced on eBay).

Other tip - pre-roll your socks (if you wear them with your shoes). It means you can roll them onto your wet feet really easily.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • hammerite
    AndyGates wrote:
    Good work that man! Fun, isn't it? :D

It's a hell of a lot of fun! So much so that I entered my second for a couple of weeks time, unfortuantely the race is full but I'm ont he reserve list if there are drop outs.

With regard to the transitions, that Baudman mentioned. We had to go across a mixture of surfaces from the pool to T area. So they let us leave shoes and a towel at the end of the pool. A quick dry and the socks went straight on (I'd tipped half a ton of baby powder in them!), my cycle shoes are MTB's so I could move pretty quick into T1.

For T2 my cycle shoes were straight off and I had my runners on in a matter of seconds (thanks for the lock lace tip earlier on!).

Now I just have to contemplate taking the handlebar brakes off my bike (Trek Pilot 1.0) so I can get aero bars on it!! Apparently it's a bit tricky so I might just book it in to have that done!
  • AndyGates
    Fitting aero bars isn't tricky, though it helps to have three hands. It's just fiddly, is all. Find a mate and a pot of tea and do it while the Tour is on...