Which Shimano chain

nibblescp
nibblescp Posts: 15
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi All,

I have an old MTB (1993 GT Tequesta) that's spend too long in the shed/garage so it's time to dust it off. Am looking to swap the chain as it's worn. Now the bike has a Shimano Exage LT groupset, so that's a HG50 cassette and chain by my reckoning having done some Google research.

In the spare parts stockpile I have a new HG70 chain and a IG51 for good measure. Just wondering what to swap it with. I guess like for like (HG50) would be a sensible option, but will HG70 be okay ? Not sure how I've come to have an IG chain, suspect I got hoodwinked by the "expert" in a certain well known car stuff/bike retailer.

What's the conventional wisdom for arriving at the roughly correct length. Assume that the current one is wrong given that I swapped it way back when. It it largest sprocket front & back then add a link ?

Cheers.

Comments

• woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    IG/HG70 chains are a bit better than the HG50, but all work together.

length, wrap it around the front big, and rear big sprokets, then add a couple of links, IIRC, but always use the old one as a guide, if it works OK, then it must be OK for the new one.