Cycling Jargon - HELP!

Nilxs
Nilxs Posts: 4
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
I am new to this activity, for some years anyway and things have changed a bit since I last had a bike. I am intrigued by some of the new jargon, especially the term "cadance". Can someone please tell me what it means?

Maybe you could contribute towards a dictionary of terms for dummies like me so that when I go into a shop I don't look a complete pratt and have some idea of what the kid behind the counter is talking about.

Gary Dean
Gary Dean

Comments

• SamuelQ
    SamuelQ Posts: 66
    Cadence is simply how fast you turn the pedals, i.e. number of crank revolutions per minute.
  • Nilxs
    Nilxs Posts: 4
    Thanks, but why is that so important

Gary Dean
    Gary Dean
  • SamuelQ
    SamuelQ Posts: 66
    Ummmm... I'm sure there are folk here who are more into their training than me who can give a more comprehensive answer, but the current wisdom is that you pedal most efficiently at a cadence of 90-120rpm - ie "spinning" the pedals. This is rather faster than feels natural to many people starting out on a bike.
  • So the idea is to use your gears to keep you cadence within the optimum range. This will be easier if you are fit and/or have a good range of gears that suit the terrain.