wheelbuilder near Chesham?

ju5t1ncp
ju5t1ncp Posts: 846
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Can anyone recommend a LBS with a good wheel builder? I'm in near Chesham (South Bucks) and usually buy stuff over the web, but I broke a couple of spokes yesterday and would like the wheel rebuilt. Thanks.

--
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/justinandagata

Comments

• thedoctor
    thedoctor Posts: 529
    I use Byercycles in Shefford but that's about 45 miles from Chesham (used to commute to Chesham a few years back, and I'm glad I don't anymore. Traffic through Hemel...)
  • Mr P
    Mr P Posts: 548
    You could try Francis Thurmer - he's a mobile bike mechanic/bike parts shop who operates out of a place your side of Aylesbury.
    He used to be our Dr Bike at work and built a pair of wheels for me a couple of years ago that have performed well (although they were on a fixed hub, that helps a bit).

According to a flyer I have for him:
    01296 747377 1-4pm, Tues, Thurs, Sat
    Mobile 07850 740591
    Be prepared for an answerphone, and leave him a number "always indicate whether day or evening".
    Unit 20, Kemps Farm, Chapel Road, Ford,Aylesbury. HP17 8XG

He is great for obscure parts and solutions, and calls his business "Hard to Find", but I have heard it said that this describes him rather than his goods (he's not really up with "new" technology like the internet or credit cards)!
  • fatbee
    fatbee Posts: 581
    I used Mr. Thermur's mobile mechanic services earlier this year and I will not be using him again.

I'm to hear that Mr. P's wheels are satisfactory, but I wouldn't now ask Mr. T to adjust my saddle, much less ride (let alone pay for) a pair of wheels built by him.

Just my personal experience, could've been a one-off of course.
  • orienteer
    orienteer Posts: 752
    Had a rear wheel very well re-built a couple of years ago at Bikewise in Ickenham (Uxbridge), 01895 675376

Anyone seen my bearings?
    Anyone seen my bearings?