When did you last adjust your position?

Unknown
edited December 1969 in Campaign
So to speak...

As a consequence of a well-reasoned argument from a poster on Soapbox with whom you were previously in disagreement?

<font size="1">So you voted, and now you've got a government. I just hope YOU like it.</font id="size1">

Comments

• ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    Actually I've done that a few times, usually when presented with facts of which I wasn't aware or which I had got wrong. Probably less often as a result of argument. I do think over the longer term constant exposure to counter argument makes you modify some of your positions if you can manage an open mind, though.
  • spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    I thought this was a thread about underpants![:I]
  • Hmmm... It's only happened to me once, when Cometgirl convinced me that rehabilitation ought to be the primary objective of the prison system (for first-time offenders, anyway).

Long term exposure to obviously faulty positions unsupported by data (and there's plenty of <i>that</i> round here) simply tends to make me more confident of the soundness of my own analysis.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that I would want to se Soapbox turn into some sort of American high school debating society, with people constantly whacking each other over the head with Facts... it would seriously clobber its entertainment value.
  • Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    I agree, a little entertainment is sometimes good - like when someone does some 'ethical trolling' to get a rise from a real pompous so-and-so.

But has somebody changed my opinion? Probably only FM and even then only once or twice.

******************************************************************************
    See Baby Elephants and more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Melvil</i>

...'ethical trolling'...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:D]
  • Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    Very rarely because I am invariably correct....[8D]

Although I do confess that my (probably unique) radical proposal that only those persons who volunteered to be shot with their own firearm should be allowed to own one, was a bit OTT [:I]

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    I have been convinced that the BBC is a waste of time, money and effort. And so are any public employees.

And never listen to anyone, 'cos I am invariably correct.

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    What about Lactate Thresholds and VO2 ?

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • Unkraut
    Unkraut Posts: 1,103
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NickM</i>

As a consequence of a well-reasoned argument from a poster on Soapbox with whom you were previously in disagreement?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is this a gentle way of introducing us to the fact that you have now got religion? [:D]
  • spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

VAlthough I do confess that my (probably unique) radical proposal that only those persons who volunteered to be shot with their own firearm should be allowed to own one, was a bit OTT [:I]

Not at all. Sounds very reasonable to me.
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Melvil</i>

I agree, a little entertainment is sometimes good - like when someone does some 'ethical trolling' to get a rise from a real pompous so-and-so.
    Anytime, don't mention it.

<hr noshade size="1">
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    I think I've changed what I think quite a lot, but I can't identify anything specific... I've certainly gone away and examined things that people have talked about here and read things that people have suggested. But then a lot of what I say isn't actually what I think, it's testing positions, ideas, and seeing where they go, or suggesting something that deliberately doesn't correspond to some standard politically-entrenched position (as with the education debate), which just means I get hammered by both sides! I can put up with being called 'pompous' or 'arrogant' or whatever, because 'I', the real me in the real world, doesn't depend in any way on being correct here.

I think I am far less quick to accuse people of things than I was five years ago when I first started posting here. I was always the one saying 'racist!' to people - now I just wait until they shoot themselves in the foot (especially if it's already in their mouth...). The only thing I am really intolerant about is deliberate ignorance - the unwillingness to learn or accept any suggestions... oh, and when people who appear to have never done anything positive in their real lives start criticising people who have - keyboard warriors, basically.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    Cuddy enabled me to understand the poisonous 'cult of the car'. Cheers for that.

A few here have allowed me to see that some rightwingers possess some human qualities.

On specifics, ankev once told me to calm down and become less aggressive, i think and hope he won the argument (even if i fail from time to time).

In truth though, most of the arguments i read are unconvincing and disastrously bias in favour of continuing inequality and all that flows from it.

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

A few here have allowed me to see that some rightwingers possess some human qualities.

Names please, redders. I'll make sure they never do it again. [;)]
  • Fnaar
    Fnaar Posts: 1,985
    I've learned that suggestive innuendo sometimes "rubs people up the wrong way"...oo'er [;)][:D]

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">No, Dougal, that baby elephant is far away!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></b> [:D]
  • I would adjust my position if Arch said she was uncomfortable with it.
  • willski
    willski Posts: 730
    LinfordLunchBox persuaded me to buy a 4x4
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d write a witty sig line about it - if I had any wit.
  • mjones
    mjones Posts: 1,915
    redcogs convinced me that I was right! [;)]
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    Mike Willcox has put me straight a couple of times - for which I'm grateful
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

But then a lot of what I say isn't actually what I think, it's testing positions, ideas, and seeing where they go
    Convenient little get-out-of-jail-free card you've got there!
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Foghat</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

But then a lot of what I say isn't actually what I think, it's testing positions, ideas, and seeing where they go
    Convenient little get-out-of-jail-free card you've got there!

No, not really. It just demonstrates an ability to have a broad range of knowledge. Sometimes it is interesting to throw in an idea here and there. A lot of soapboxers take replies personally as they have strong beliefs (as I do with some things) but it is good to have a bit of variety from time to time and contributions from soapboxers who have knowledge about a subject but not necessarily a polarised viewpoint.

But, at the same time you could be right - FM is cheating [;)]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

No, not really. It just demonstrates an ability to have a broad range of knowledge. Sometimes it is interesting to throw in an idea here and there. A lot of soapboxers take replies personally as they have strong beliefs (as I do with some things) but it is good to have a bit of variety from time to time and contributions from soapboxers who have knowledge about a subject but not necessarily a polarised viewpoint.

But, at the same time you could be right - FM is cheating [;)]
    True, FM does sometimes sit on the fence brackets see both sides which can be a laudable approach, but his debating style also frequently makes categorical statements and assertions which are clearly the FM official position and usually right but occasionally ill-considered and sometimes spectacularly wrong.

Having said that, FM's overall contribution to the forum exceeds almost everyone else's individual contribution in terms of informative, well researched content and presenting such information to a forum of many poorly informed members, and I marvel at his (and others') capacity to post so much during what I assume to be the working day (demanding job, FM?). However, the godlike esteem and blind devotion that certain factions hold the monkey in mean that when he gets it wrong, it needs pointing out, and I trust that he won't be wielding this get-out-of-jail card when it happens!

Sorry, FM, your paranoia needle must have gone off the scale! [;)]
  • Noodley
    Aye, good point re posting during the day - I am far too busy (true) and important (quite obviously not as true as the previous bit) to be bothering about posting on a forum. That is why most of my posts are rubbish as all my attention and skills are concentrated on my employment (or cycling) and the forum is an aside, albeit I am very often stuck in front of my computer for hours in the evening as there is bugger all else to do once my kids have gone to bed and all the housework, etc has been done.

Just think how much you would learn from me if I actually made an effort. [:D][;)]
  • mjones
    mjones Posts: 1,915
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

Aye, good point re posting during the day - I am far too busy (true) and important (quite obviously not as true as the previous bit) to be bothering about posting on a forum. That is why most of my posts are rubbish as all my attention and skills are concentrated on my employment (or cycling) and the forum is an aside, albeit I am very often stuck in front of my computer for hours in the evening as there is bugger all else to do once my kids have gone to bed and all the housework, etc has been done.

Just think how much you would learn from me if I actually made an effort. [:D][;)]
    Well it is now 11pm on a friday, you've said you've got nothing else to do, so with that build up I'm now expecting something that would put FM Himself to shame! [;)]
  • Noodley
    aye, ok brace yourself (as I have often said on a Friday night [:D])- sorry I got carried away there. [;)]

nope, the forum is an aside, FM can rest easy.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

and the forum is an aside, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, same here - if I post a lot during the day, it's usually because I've got a "bitty" day with a lot of hanging around on the phone while the other person goes to get a file or an authority to exchange.