Disc on a Tandem

fatbee
fatbee Posts: 581
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I've been told that it might be possible for me to retro-fit a modern disc brake inplace of the Arai drag/drum unit on our tandem.

Anyone amy knowledge or experience of this please? (including the suitability of discs for tandems and advice on the best (or worst) units.)

I'm happy to buy a new hub (and disc brake obviously,) but I'd rather avoid brazing and a respray if pos.

Thanks in advannce.

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Are you looking to fit it to the front or rear? It is possible to get a bolt-on rear brake mount kit, from the likes of Super Cycles in Notts - but they are quite heavy. Disc brakes put a lot of forces on the seatstay - I've seen snapped stays with poorly executed braze-ons, but tandem stays are usually pretty hefty. For a front wheel, you really should be looking at a new fork too - unless of course you've got a hefty steel fork. Avid cable discs are very easy to fit, quite powerful and low maintenance.
  • Fatbee check out the tandem club site... they always have hundreds of discussions on brakes going on in the forum.

Personally I'd stick to the arai.

A disc will opena nasty can of worms, probibly weigh more, cost lots & all for no improvement
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    I've been thinking of doing the dame on our tandem. Mercian, the frame builder, say the frame tubing will take a brazed on fitting OK. Other sources saya a disc brake will glaze the pads when used as a drag brake.

Still haven't made up my mind. The only advantage a disc gives me is that there is a better choice of hubs

Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    The tandem I'm using at the moment has disc brakes. They're fine. Powerful enough to drag you back on a long descent. I don't know about glazing, but the back brake can get a bit squeally after a downhill. A bit of fierce application sorts this out.

• fatbee
    fatbee Posts: 581
    Thanks all.

I'd be looking to put the disc on the rear.

As said, it would be to replace the current Arai drum, and I'm amazed to hear that a disc might be heavier. The damn thing weighs a ton.

We have a slightly unusual setup on our Roberts : Mrs. fb is the captain and on the front with the front canti and the drum at her control, I'm at the back with control of the back canti and the gears.

I was even thinking of replacing both cantis with hrdraulic rim brakes. Any thoughts?