Man held on hit-and-runs.

rothbook
rothbook Posts: 943
edited June 2007 in Campaign
Teenager held over hit-and-runs
Police have arrested a man on suspicion of attempted murder after three people were injured in a series of hit-and-run accidents in West Yorkshire.
One of the injured people, an 18-year-old cyclist, is seriously ill after being hit by a gold-coloured Range Rover which mounted the footpath.

Minutes later the same vehicle hit two people on the pavement outside a pub.

An 18-year-old man is being held over the incidents, which happened in the Halifax area on Monday night.

West Yorkshire Police said the Range Rover hit the cyclist on a pavement at the junction of Wainhouse Road and Kings Cross Road at 1640 BST, after a pedestrian jumped out of the way.

Vehicle abandoned

The vehicle then travelled along Kings Cross Road, mounting the pavement outside the Junction public house. It hit two pedestrians, who suffered minor injuries and received hospital treatment.

The Range Rover was then seen travelling down Queens Road, where it is thought to have hit another vehicle, before speeding through a pedestrian area in Halifax town centre.

Just before 1700 BST it was seen in Free School Lane, where it collided with a bollard. It was later found abandoned on Rippendon Moor, near junction 22 of the M62.

Police arrested the 18-year-old man after issuing a picture of a suspect and appealing for witnesses.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/6743469.stm

Comments

• Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Where was Simon J Dean at the time?

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    This young hooligan must be issued with a ??40 fine a 3 penalty points immediately I say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Spinal cord disorders forums
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    "Teenager held over hit-and-runs"
    An 18-year-old "man" is being held over the incidents
    I do hope he get done as a "man" and not as a teenager/child with a slap on the wrist[:(!]

Non Omnis Moriar
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Mmmm, seems there may be another aspect to this;

Race-hate riddle of 4x4 man's rampage

A crazed motorist ran down three people during a 20-minute rampage through a town centre.

Pedestrians dived out of the way and other drivers and cyclists took desperate evasive action in scenes that witnesses described as "straight out of a movie".

The gold-coloured Range Rover drove along a footpath, mounted a pavement and even sped through a pedestrian shopping area, causing terrified shoppers to leap for safety.

An 18-year-old male cyclist was seriously injured on the footpath and two pedestrians were hit on a pavement outside a pub.

All three victims were Asian and the driver was white and police are investigating whether the rampage in Halifax, West Yorkshire, could have been racially motivated.

Shopworker Richard Wainhouse, 53, who narrowly escaped injury, said of the driver: "He was very angry, gesticulating and shouting. He seemed a complete nutter."

Scroll down for more...

The vehicle was later found abandoned and police put out an urgent appeal to trace a man they named as Ben Mawdsley, 18. Last night, an

18-year-old man was being questioned on suspicion of attempted murder after going to a police station in Halifax.

The drama began at around 4.40pm on Monday when the J-reg Range Rover left the road and drove along a footpath.

A pedestrian managed to leap out of the way, but the four-wheel drive car ploughed into the teenage cyclist. The youth, who has not been named, was in a serious condition-in Calderdale Royal Infirmary-yesterday.

The driver continued down a busy shopping street and 300 yards further on he mounted a pavement and hit two men, aged 22 and 30, outside the Junction pub. They escaped with minor injuries.

The Range Rover carried on at speed towards the town centre, leaving a trail of destruction. It collided with another car, then forced a group of men to jump for safety.

The driver then headed to the Woolshops pedestrian area, which was full of shoppers and workers heading home. Many came within inches of serious injury.

By this time, the Range Rover was being chased by a silver BMW and a group of up to 15 men on foot.

The driver was blasting his horn continually at pedestrians, who included many schoolchildren.

Finally, after hitting a bollard, the driver roared away. Police launched a major hunt for the car, which was found near the M62 at 8.20pm.

One witness said: "It was like something from a movie, with this car just all over the road."

A member of staff at a One Stop shop yards from where the cyclist was hit said: "It looked pretty horrific when the ambulance got here. From what I could see, the kid wasn't in a very good state."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti ... article.do
  • I hope no one posts anything silly that enables him to escape a trial on the basis that pre trial comments made it impossible for him to get a fair trial.
  • It seems a blatant use of a car as a weapon.
  • nortones2
    nortones2 Posts: 208
    The difference with this one was that it has been witnessed, and the police have to consider a charge of attempted murder. They usually rely on the Scottish requirement for corroboration where there is only one witness, and even when there is other evidence, e.g. damage. That the Scottish requirement only applies north of the border seems to be irrelevant.
  • graham56
    graham56 Posts: 634
    "Teenager held"

Upside down by the b@lloks i hope!!!!!!

It`s a state of mind.