Can't climb out of the saddle.

Hi,

also posted in know how..

I have a large hill to climb on the way home. I can climb it ok seated, but when I try to get out of the saddle to go a bit quicker I find I can't do this for more than a few peddle strokes. What do I need to stregthen to allow me to do this, example exercises would be helpful too.

cheers,

Rich (A commuter at last)

Comments

• Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    I returned to cycling after a long break and found the same. I've been riding fixed gear for the last 18 months. I can now climb. It's just forcing yourself out of the saddle by choosing hills that won't allow you to sit.
  • it's quite annoying as I used to cycle everywhere until I was 19 and got my first car and everything was easy. Now a little older (37) and getting back in to it my body can't do what my mind wants it to lol.....

cheers,

• Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rykard</i>

I have a large hill to climb on the way home. I can climb it ok seated, but when I try to get out of the saddle to <b>go a bit quicker </b>I find I can't do this for more than a few peddle strokes. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

that's your problem-going quicker is taking you over the red line, hence not being able to sustain it.

To practice, find a gear that you can comfortably climb the hill it, and drop into one gear higher, and climb the hill at a pace you can sustain. You'll still be whacked at the top, but do it several times and you should see an improvement

<font size="1">"I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness"
    </font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Follow the general training formula and increase the amount you do little by little. For this particular hill pick a land mark quarter of the way up say and sprint for it, then sit down for the rest of the hill. After you can do this comfortably pick a spot half way up, repeat until you are at the top.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Ultimate Fighters
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • pzycoman
    pzycoman Posts: 285
    A trick I found with going out of the saddle is not to just ride as fast as you can, just keep a decent pace that you can keep up for some time, and stick to it, even though you may feel you can do faster...

This, a tip from someone who cant climb [:)]
    Professional Kitten Huffer
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pzycoman</i>
    A trick I found with going out of the saddle is not to just ride as fast as you can, just keep a decent pace that you can keep up for some time, and stick to it, even though you may feel you can do faster...

<b>This, a tip from someone who cant climb</b> [:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

...Yet!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Ford cht engine
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • why are you getting out of the saddle??

on a long climb its the most inefficient way to climb - your cadence drops, your HR goes up.

Unless youre planning on using it to sprint away from the peleton you dont need to.

If however youre just using it to get over a steeper bit of the hill you may be pushing yourself past you lactate threshold. Try the hill in a gear lower than normal and then stand up - see if that makes a difference.
  • Generally I don't race and never get out of the saddle, on the occasions I have tried I just find that it not anywhere near as comfortable as staying seated. but I guess this all depends on if you are doing it for pleasure of racing.

Colin
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rykard</i>

Hi,

also posted in know how..

I have a large hill to climb on the way home. I can climb it ok seated, but when I try to get out of the saddle to go a bit quicker I find I can't do this for more than a few peddle strokes. What do I need to stregthen to allow me to do this, example exercises would be helpful too.

cheers,

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Unfortunately, as painful as it may be, just try every ride to do a bit of standing up on hills, it brings different muscles into play and you use arms/upper body more, just keep practicising and you'll get better, agree on the 'drop it down' gear quote too.

Happy climbing !
    also replied in 'know how' !!!!![:I]
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    You did not mention if you stayed in the same gear when standing?
    If you are on a constant sgradient and just decide to stand for a break generally (apart from Lance Armstrong) most people change to a bigger gear to compensate for the lower cadence.
    If you are sitting and grade increases then you will probably be able to stand without changing gear as resistance increases due to grade. Sometimes it may feel awkward pedalling standing up in too low a gear.

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • the gradient stays fairly constant, i am trying to speed up a bit as my tempo starts to slow slightly.

For more info I am riding a rigid mtb with a road block and fairly well loaded panniers. I tend to ride mostly on the bar ends as this affords better leverage...

I don't change up as I accelerate, i think maybe this is the problem as I think i am going over the redline. i wil try changing up tomorrow..

cheers,