Oversensitive.

Absinthe Minded
Absinthe Minded Posts: 1,351
edited June 2007 in Campaign
What's the matter with blokes these days?

Me and a colleague had a row earlier today, we both said some things we shouldn't have, but I stuck to my guns about my main point.

Guess what happens next? he goes crying to our manager and we have to have a meeting to discuss things. I stuck to what believed and told the baby that I didn't hold a grudge, it was all forgotten on my part - but that I had mean't what I'd said earlier, and that he had wasted everyone's time with the silly meeting. I told him to act like a man and forget it, rather than telling tales to our manager.

Afterwards, my manager told me that I'm 'too direct' and that I 'can't act that way in future'. I told him that I'll act whatever way I damn well please and that my personality has nothing to do with my employer so long as I don't make a habit of offending people for no reason.

What a bunch of girls...

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="2"><b><font color="purple">Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font id="purple"></b></font id="size2">

<font size="2">See My route to work!</font id="size2">
<hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
<font>See My route to work!</font>

Comments

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Absinthe Minded</i>

I told him that I'll act whatever way I damn well please and that my personality has nothing to do with my employer so long as I don't make a habit of offending people for no reason.

What a bunch of girls...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This approach is not very popular nowadays. I've come across a senior manager being pulled off a big building project because he was supposed to be "too direct." A lot of it now is very touchy feely.
  • Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    Chill out Dude [8D]
    Take him out for a drink [}:)]
    [url][/url]http://www.dryblackthorncider.com/images/frontpage_babycham.jpg[url][/url]

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

• Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    Why did you tell him you didn't hold a grudge and it was forgotten? That wasn't exactly the truth, now was it?[}:)]

What form will your revenge take?

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • It probably comes from managing conflict training that everyone has to do nowadays.

I have a bike; she's called Fran. I enjoy her company.
    I have a bike; she\'s called Fran. I enjoy her company.
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    It's just a phase of poor taste in management fashion. It'll pass one day. Your "manager" is the real culprit as he lacks the backbone to make a clear decision. Big soft tart. Print off this thread and show it to him.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

It's just a phase of poor taste in management fashion. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<ankev remembers the RSM's management style when he was a junior soldier [;)]>
  • Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Patrick Stevens:

This approach is not very popular nowadays<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">True, but then neither is use of the word nowadays, but I'll not berate you or go crying to your manager.... [;)]

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="2"><b><font color="purple">Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font id="purple"></b></font id="size2">

<hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    Would need to know more info, but as a successful manager I would get a meeting between you just to make sure it is all cleared up. Part of ensuring that the team is working at it best, simple as that (nothing to do with 'conflict training' or 'poor taste')
    A weak manager would actually just leave it and have the possibility of it getting worse.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Absinthe Minded</i>
    , but I'll not berate you or go crying to your manager.... [;)]

That would be my wife. [:0]
  • Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

Chill out Dude [8D]
    Take him out <s>for a drink</s> [}:)]
    [url][/url]http://www.dryblackthorncider.com/images/frontpage_babycham.jpg[url][/url]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Edited to fit my mood...

• spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    I blame the PC Brigade! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][;)]
  • Too direct ?
    Aren't you allowed to say what you mean now ?

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/n ... index.aspx
  • Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

Would need to know more info, but as a successful manager I would get a meeting between you just to make sure it is all cleared up. Part of ensuring that the team is working at it best, simple as that (nothing to do with 'conflict training' or 'poor taste')
    A weak manager would actually just leave it and have the possibility of it getting worse.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Basically, he has no social skills. I pulled him up on it, he didn't like it. No amount of meetings is going to make us change our minds. ankev is right - weak management, my manager was trying to gloss over everything by repeating 'so, we're all OK now?'. Nobody got anything out of the meeting.

I'd have had more respect for the guy if he's have come up to me, and said 'OK, you miserable bastard - can we forget this now?'. But no, he had to go crying to the manager.

What a big girl's blouse.

I pulled him up on it, he didn't like it.
    <hr noshade size="1">[<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Was this done by grabbing him by the throat?
    Basically, he has no social skills. I pulled him up on it, he didn't like it. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Does this mean you just don't like him?? So was it a work issue or not?
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    When I was younger and I used to argue with my brother, my dad used to give us 1 pair of boxing gloves (1 glove each) and make us fight it out. We're both left handed, so it was always fun. What happened to the good old days of having a word outside??

Is this why I'm not allowed to manage people??[:I]

SNAPS
  • emu
    emu Posts: 161
    When I first worked at the Beeb nearly 15 years ago I used to quake in my shoes when dealing with some people because they were just nasty and unpleasantly demanding. Thankfully, the bullying culture is pretty much non existent now.
  • Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zenwavemaster:

Does this mean you just don't like him?? So was it a work issue or not?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I didn't like the way he behaved, I was trying to help him out by organising something for him and he was of the attitude that the answers to my questions were obvious. Not the way you treat somebody that's trying to help you.

Also, he has a habit of mumbling something in another room and expecting me to hear him. He did this today and I told him that most people talk face-to-face - it's the accepted way to converse, not to mumble quietly in another room.

So, to answer your questions, I didn't like his behaviour - I have no opinion on whether or not I like him as a person, he's just a work colleague - it's not like I'm dating him, I have a life outside of work and don't much mix business and pleasure.

Was it work related? Yes, the disagreement was over a work related matter in the first instance.

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Absinthe Minded</i>
    ...it's not like I'm dating him

yet [;)]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by emu</i>

When I first worked at the Beeb nearly 15 years ago I used to quake in my shoes when dealing with some people because they were just nasty and unpleasantly demanding. Thankfully, the bullying culture is pretty much non existent now.

Don't get involved in litigation then.
  • Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Asterix</i>

Why did you tell him you didn't hold a grudge and it was forgotten? That wasn't exactly the truth, now was it?[}:)]

What form will your revenge take?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Oh, something will come to me.... [;)]

• Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

Too direct ?
    Aren't you allowed to say what you mean now ?

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/n ... index.aspx
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Certainly looks that way. Still, I'll carry on as I am, I've done well enough in life so far, so why change for one person?

• Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Absinthe Minded</i>
    ...it's not like I'm dating him

yet [;)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">*vomits* [:D]

• Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

When I was younger and I used to argue with my brother, my dad used to give us 1 pair of boxing gloves (1 glove each) and make us fight it out. We're both left handed, so it was always fun. What happened to the good old days of having a word outside??

Is this why I'm not allowed to manage people??[:I]

SNAPS

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Well said, will suggest to line manager.

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I used to find at my workplace that people were very sensitive to being told the truth. After a few incidents where management became involved in petty matters it was suggested we just told each other what we thought - since then we have all become more measured in our criticism and work better as a team. Everyone is comfortable having "issues" with one another. And I would win a "square go" out the back anyway [;)]
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663

I didn't like the way he behaved, I was trying to help him out by organising something for him and he was of the attitude that the answers to my questions were obvious. Not the way you treat somebody that's trying to help you.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

At this point I'd haave said: "Listen, Xxxx, I'm just trying to help. If you don't want my help, that's fine." and walked away.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by emu</i>

Maybe that's why the licence fee has risen so much faster than inflation - the corporation is full of dead wood that no manager dares discipline or sack.
  • Unkraut
    Unkraut Posts: 1,103

Me and a colleague had a row earlier today, we both said some things we shouldn't have, but I stuck to my guns about my main point.

Guess what happens next? he goes crying to our manager and we have to have a meeting to discuss things. I stuck to what believed and told the baby that I didn't hold a grudge, it was all forgotten on my part - but that I had mean't what I'd said earlier, and that he had wasted everyone's time with the silly meeting. I told him to act like a man and forget it, rather than telling tales to our manager.

Afterwards, my manager told me that I'm 'too direct' and that I 'can't act that way in future'. I told him that I'll act whatever way I damn well please and that my personality has nothing to do with my employer so long as I don't make a habit of offending people for no reason.

What a bunch of girls...

This has to be one of the most pointless, idiotic, assinine posts ever to have disgraced Soapbox. It is sexist, badly written in that it never gets to the heart of the issues (and to the limited extent it does the issues are not worth mentioning), moaning, whining, unlikely to stimulate an interesting debate, and - well, who cares what your manager did or what anyone we have never heard of said, this is all just unsubstantiated rumours. This is a complete waste of time, contributes nothing to the advancement of knowledge or the wellbeing of humankind, and should never have been allowed in the first place. It has NO redeeming features.

How am I doing so far ..... [:D][:D]

(Sorry, it does have one redeeming feature - we now know simoncp is no fan of the BBC!) [;)]
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by emu</i>

Maybe that's why the licence fee has risen so much faster than inflation - the corporation is full of dead wood that no manager dares discipline or sack.

Yes, and no doubt the councils are just the same, eh.

The reason it is difficult to sack people is because of employee protection and any following lawsuits for not following correct disciplinary process (a long drawn out one)
    It is a issue that effects all companies, not just the BBC!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113

What a bunch of girls...

It wasn't about red-light-jumping, was it?

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.