Ping: Mister Paul - Police Traffic numbers

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2007 in Campaign
You were asking for sources relating to claims that police traffic officer numbers had fallen, and that there was a perceived over reliance on speed cameras.

Here you go:-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 929284.ece

Comments

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Thanks for that.

It still doesn't show comparisons between the reduction in police officers and reductions in other government departments. That's what I would be interested to see. The quote in the penultimate paragraph relates to this.

The letter is interesting. I says that more police are needed for the roads (which I don't think anyone would disagree with) but for other measures rather than speeding, as this is being addressed by technology. It also says that it is about public perception.

• Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    I wonder if a 13% reduction would make as much difference to road safety as some 'campaigners' would argue?

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I'd like to see more traffic police. And more cameras.

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Blair promised to reduce street crime. Cops were moved from trafpol to policing the streets. Nothing to do with sfaety cameras.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

I says that more police are needed for the roads (which I don't think anyone would disagree with) but for other measures rather than speeding, as this is being addressed by technology.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Older policemen tell me that they used to detect a lot of crime by searching the cars of suspicious speeders and finding stolen goods, drugs etc.
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    My uncle is a retired older policeman. He tells me that you can pretty much stop any car, at any time, and do them for something.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

My uncle is a retired older policeman. He tells me that you can pretty much stop any car, at any time, and do them for something.

Yes, but the trouble is that they're not doing it! The days when a local scally would get pulled for a defective rear light and get nicked for no insurance and possession of six nicked video recorders are long gone, because no one's doing the pulling.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have written to my local police accusing them of having no interest in stopping vehicles for moving traffic offences. They're not denying it.

On Saturday I phoned them to report a driver who overtook me at speed, around 50mph, and then cut straight across my path to turn left at a mini roundabout. The officer taking the call said it would be very difficult to prove. I said I had a witness, and even that didn't move him. Not until I made a complaint against him for lazyness did I get a copper here to take my statement and issue a NIP.

And they wonder why driving standards are crap.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

Yes, but the trouble is that they're not doing it! The days when a local scally would get pulled for a defective rear light and get nicked for no insurance and possession of six nicked video recorders are long gone, because no one's doing the pulling.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

They are according to "Traffic Cops", wot I was watching on the telly last night... Actually, last night the guy pulled for not wearing a seatbelt turned out to be merely driving without a full licence and insurance, rather than having a boot full of loot, but I've seen it before and they often do link stuff on... I suppose the 6 or 7 they show each week might be the sum total of their work, but I doubt it..

Best one last night though, was when the traffic cop vaulted over a wall to apprehend a car thief hiding in a shrub in a front garden, and landed on the crown jewels of his mate, who was trying to hide in the flower bed under the wall..

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>
    They are according to "Traffic Cops", wot I was watching on the telly last night...

"Traffic Cops" ain't filmed in North Wales which is full of hard faced young men in Porsches driving like maniacs as they move from one drug deal to another. As long as they slow down for the cameras, there's no problem.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>
    They are according to "Traffic Cops", wot I was watching on the telly last night...

"Traffic Cops" ain't filmed in North Wales which is full of hard faced young men in Porsches driving like maniacs as they move from one drug deal to another. As long as they slow down for the cameras, there's no problem.

Nah, all the cops in the latest series are in Hampshire. Where they have Portsmouth to deal with...

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Actually there has been a systematic downgrading of ALL police.

Traffic Police still have the same "pro rata" presence when compared to other groups.

The article above is simply political posturing, Government sees problem, and blames police, police then blame Government.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)