Elite San Remo 80 Roof Rack - Advice

Cannock Chase
Cannock Chase Posts: 558
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Has anyone got the Elite San Remo 80 roof mounted kit?
I've read the test in this months Cycling Weekly and it seems to be what I'm looking for.
What do you think of it? How secure is the front wheel Q/R clamp e.g. will the bike fly off the roof if it's not clamped tight enough! Will it take mountain bike width tyres?
Thanks in advance.

I'm not getting old...I'm just getting more stupid...
I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
Trek Madone - Carbon

Comments

• I picked up a second hand Elite San Remo (or whatever the old model was called) for œ15 for use on my Ford Ka. I've got the Thule rack which works on the same principle but that cost œ70.

Security of the quick release - and the width of the back wheel - hasn't been a problem. I've happily clamped a MTB fork and a road fork into the Thule and had both a 700x23 and a 26x2.0 in the back.

However - that's on the Thule. My factory fit roof bars aren't far enough apart to use the Elite on the Ka. Be aware if you have a car with a short roof!!!

It's ALL about the bike.
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • jay ceecp
    jay ceecp Posts: 458
    have used it in the past and it was great. But I have heard of peoples head tubes breaking and other failures due to the stresses that the bikes have had up on the roof of a car. not heard any horror stories for a while though!

www.vcstraphael.com
    www.cyclingplus.co.uk
  • Thanks for the replies.

I'm not getting old...I'm just getting more stupid...
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Hi, just noted this post. I got the San Remo 80 after the C+ review. It is the only rack that fits my Grand Scenic (apart from the Renault ones of course), and it has worked pretty well so far. Don't know about the head tube problem, which sounds pretty scary[:(]
  • Hi, just read this topic, I bought 3 similar bike carriers from Probikeit.com - œ12 each if you bought 3!! Same fittings, takes various thickness wheels. Seems fine to me.