Cycling tattoo's - advice/ideas?

n.welshy
n.welshy Posts: 61
edited July 2007 in Workshop
Good evening ladies and gentlemen

I've just booked myself in for later in the month for a tattoo. Initial idea unless convinced otherwise is for a Zak Carr style band to go around my right thigh, just below cycling shorts level.

Does anybody have any alternative suggestions that may have more of a cycling theme, or something that would be appropriate. As Assos logo perhaps? Any pictures out there would also be welcomed.

Maybe even the Team GB 4-man Pursuit Sqaud, lined up wheel to wheel going round my leg? But would that then lead to a selection dilemma, should Rob Hayles be there .. sorry, beginning to go OT

Semi serious suggestions only please.
Neil

Comments

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    I'm sure you'll find some here:

http://www.campagnolo.com/trademarks.php?pager3_from=16

[:)]

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

The older I get, the better my power to weight ratio was.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • I know a MTBer with quite a good chainring tattoo on the inside of his right calf. I'm not a big tattoo fan, but it looked pretty good. I liked the simplicity of it.

Great ideas, but I've always been a shimano user. Good excuse for a new Record groupset though!

More ideas please
    Neil
  • Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by barq</i>

I know a MTBer with quite a good chainring tattoo on the inside of his right calf.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

A bit of Swafega will get that off.[:)]

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Check out Jamie Staff's tattoo for inspiration
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/ ... SGdsc_2466
  • Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monty Dog</i>

Check out Jamie Staff's tattoo for inspiration
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/ ... SGdsc_2466

My legs would only be wide enough for a tattoo of a seat post!![B)]

• Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    Whatever you do - don't get the name of your club tattooed anywhere. Because when one of them does something dumb and you leave getting laser removal treatment only adds to the expense of new club kit and respraying your frames.

This has been a public service announcement [B)]

<hr noshade size="1">
    'Cause I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    And I'm really built for speed
    Built for speed
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Something from: http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • BigBren
    BigBren Posts: 145
    I used to work in a tattoo/piercing studio many moons ago and have a few myself, including a tribal/broken black affair on the outside of my right calf, which looks rather fetching in cycle shorts, even if I do say so myself [8D]

If you're fixed on having one on your leg, I think the outer calf, like the linky above, looks ace. That one is a slightly amateurish attempt at a biomechanical style, creating the illusion of machinery under the skin. Nice idea on a pro-cyclists leg, but badly executed in that instance. Maybe try here for more inspiration? http://www.bmeink.com/

Most important of all though, before the tattooist makes a mark on you, ask to see actual photo's of the artists work - not flash or magazine pic's of other peoples work - and if possible, talk to some satisfied customers and see what kind of job s/he did on them. Might seem obvious, but there are some truly horrid back street 'scratchers' out there.

Good luck!

Bren
  • bianchi 1
    bianchi 1 Posts: 253
    I have the profile of the raid pyreneese which i did a few years back around my arm. People say it looks like a heart beat pattern or my shattered soul ( long story ) I love it tho and it is pretty unique ( i think )

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184 ... C00107.jpg
  • knucklehead
    knucklehead Posts: 243
    http://www.into-you.co.uk/other.php?dir=mr_x&loc=lon does some nice robots guns tanks chainsaws etc so should be able to do a handsome detail tattoo for you.
    I've got cogs working their way around my chest back and shoulders done in strong black lines so its quite tribal looking in a Hando Romper Stomper bones way.
    A set of sprockets layed out up your calf in some detail might look good with the number of teeth and lots of chrome shading.
    If I was a messenger I'd get wings like mercury on my outer wrists and ankles!)
    Loads of carnival/tiki skeletons cycling the route of the TDF UK around your leg might be nice either.
    Or how about a pirate lady head in the middle of a chainring with 5 legs in the cycling position around the ring (like a sun swastica) and 'Welsh Cycle Pirates Rule the Roads' or something trivial of that sort.
    My advice is don't! Tattoos are ugly, you'll only regret it one day.

<font color="black"><div align="right"><i><font size="1"><font face="Comic Sans MS"> My fixed bike </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size1"></i></div id="right"></font id="black">
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    Surely a baby elephant in honour of this forum?

<hr noshade size="1">
    Elephants and Ivory go together in perfect harmony. Oh Lord, why can't we?
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Kraftwerk TdF single artwork ?

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • knucklehead
    knucklehead Posts: 243
    Kind of disapointed no-one had the ET silhouette in that pic gallery...
    Bianchi 1 - what about the names of all the peaks then? and what about the Raid Alpine on the other arm?
  • bianchi 1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monty Dog</i>

Bianchi 1 - what about the names of all the peaks then? and what about the Raid Alpine on the other arm?
    here's the original map

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184 ... C00060.jpg

the bloke doing the tattoo did offer to label the peaks but i thought it would look a bit more abstract without, always fun when people ask what it is and you get to point out all of the passes.
    Raid Alpine is in the early ( very early ) planning stage!
  • belgiangoth
    belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
    Either the chainring marks (though why not just get them naturally, easier to wash them off afterwards?) or fly to a south sea island and get a proper tribal tattoo done using a shark's tooth on a bow (may require you to beef up to have the appropriate physique).

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
    Chris Juden or Sheldon Brown? - there's only one way to find out, FIGHT!
    </font id="size1">
  • cacbyname
    cacbyname Posts: 285
    Don't worry too much about the design. In a few years it will be an indistinct bluey green blob no matter what you go for.
  • bunnyman
    bunnyman Posts: 62
    You could always go for the Michael Scofield look, especially if your brothers's been imprisoned for crimes he did not committ and you just happened to design the prison he got sent to...

Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
    Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
  • bianchi 1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cacbyname</i>

Don't worry too much about the design. In a few years it will be an indistinct bluey green blob no matter what you go for.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">]

But in the meantime you will become irresistible to the opposite sex[8D]
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    don't do it. Just imagine your self old and wrinkled and what it will look like then............
    it's self mutilation

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • tattos are just a form of self expression, i have three, i had a very intricate tat done on my shoulder four years ago of my coat of arms, was very painful and took four sittings and ended up taking 6 hours and cost just under a grand...still love it!

dangerous jules.
    i'm thinking of buying one of them elephants to do my washing...do they eat alot?
    dangerous jules.
  • n.welshy
    n.welshy Posts: 61
    Cheers guys, some good ideas.

Actually now thinking of some gothic script around lower thigh, something along lines of 'I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike!'

Further ideas still welcomed.
    Neil
  • Anything less than a spiders web on your face would be a waste of time![:)]
  • Be careful:-
    A woman walks into a tattoo parlor...
    "Do you do custom work?" she asks the artist.
    "Why of course!" says the tattoo artist.
    "Good," she says. "I'd like a portrait of Robert Redford on the inside of my right thigh, and a portrait of Paul Newman on the inside of my left thigh. And I want them both looking at my *****."
    "No problem," says the artist. "Strip from the waist down and get up on the table."
    After two hours of hard work, the artist finishes. The woman sits up and examines the tattoos.
    "That doesn't look like them!" she complains loudly.
    "Oh yes it does," the artist says indignantly, "and I can prove it."
    With that, he runs out of the shop and grabs the first man off the street he can find; it happens to be the town drunk.
    "Well, what do you think?" the woman asks, spreading her legs apart for the drunk man. "Do you know who these men are?"
    The drunks studies the tattoos for a couple of seconds and says, "I'm not sure who the guys on either side are, but the fellow in the middle is definitely Willie Nelson!"
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Hi.
    How about this one in link, mine is the red celtic one on the bottom of the page.
    It has been on cycling websiates a few times in races [:D]

http://www.woodystattoostudio.com/WOODY ... RY%205.htm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by n.welshy</i>

Good evening ladies and gentlemen

I've just booked myself in for later in the month for a tattoo. Initial idea unless convinced otherwise is for a Zak Carr style band to go around my right thigh, just below cycling shorts level.

Does anybody have any alternative suggestions that may have more of a cycling theme, or something that would be appropriate. As Assos logo perhaps? Any pictures out there would also be welcomed.

Maybe even the Team GB 4-man Pursuit Sqaud, lined up wheel to wheel going round my leg? But would that then lead to a selection dilemma, should Rob Hayles be there .. sorry, beginning to go OT

Semi serious suggestions only please.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:D]

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • Tom753
    Tom753 Posts: 737
    Remember to save up for the laser removal treatment!

<font color="black"><div align="right"><i><font size="1"><font face="Comic Sans MS"> My fixed bike </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size1"></i></div id="right"></font id="black">