10-25-50-aaaaaahhh

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
some advice. I know this has porobably been done to death but.....
I've been doing 10's this year (magic Dragon) and tuesday is the 15. I did a 50 the other day without trying a 25 1st (missed the cut off) I think longer than 10's may be best in the long run but have a problem sorting out a training programme.
thanks to shades for his 'new to TT'ing' post'

Work is the problem. Does anyone else have awkward work patterns and how do you cope?[?]

my elephant has more memory than my PC
http://twitter.com/mgalex
www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

Comments

• chriswcp
    chriswcp Posts: 1,365
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Alexander</i>

som advice. I know this has porobably been done to death but.....
    I've ben doing 10's this year (magic Dragon) and tuesday is the 15. I did a 50 the other day without trying a 25 1st (missd the cut off) I think longr than 10's may b st in the long run but have a problem sorting out a trainin programme.
    thanks to shades for his 'finew to TT'ing' post'

Work is the problem. Does anyone else have awkward work patterns and how do you cope?[?]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ride to work.
  • easy to say Chris, but some of us work too far/long from home for that to practical. I would be clocking up some 450 miles a week from commuting alone! Plus how do you carry a laptop and other office essnetials on a bike for such long distances? I have the same problem Mark, but try to get in minimum 6 hours a week, ideally 8 sometimes 10+ on a lucky week. This means at least one 3+ hours ride a week, and easy days on the bike not off it if possible. Ideally I would ride alternate hard/easy days but cant because of other family stuff, so I have Sunday afternoons, Tues and Wed eves for hard sessions, sometimes friday also if no race saturday, and will soon have sunday mornings for club runs. For the hard sessions, I ride club 10's on consecutive nights, or 20 and 30 mile loops as hard as I can (use hills cant avoid going hard then), and the Sunday ride is always 50+ miles at tempo+ pace. Currenltly my favouriete Sunday involves the Rhondda because of the upcoming Dragon....I havent done a 50 yet so time will tell if its working, but I do know that I find I am faster at 25+ distances than short distance TT's as I have got older

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • chriswcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>

easy to say Chris, but some of us work too far/long from home for that to practical. I would be <b>clocking up some 450 miles a week </b>from commuting alone! Plus how do you carry a laptop and other office essnetials on a bike for such long distances? I have the same problem Mark, but try to get in minimum 6 hours a week, ideally 8 sometimes 10+ on a lucky week. This means at least one 3+ hours ride a week, and easy days on the bike not off it if possible. Ideally I would ride alternate hard/easy days but cant because of other family stuff, so I have Sunday afternoons, Tues and Wed eves for hard sessions, sometimes friday also if no race saturday, and will soon have sunday mornings for club runs. For the hard sessions, I ride club 10's on consecutive nights, or 20 and 30 mile loops as hard as I can (use hills cant avoid going hard then), and the Sunday ride is always 50+ miles at tempo+ pace. Currenltly my favouriete Sunday involves the Rhondda because of the upcoming Dragon....I havent done a 50 yet so time will tell if its working, but I do know that I find I am faster at 25+ distances than short distance TT's as I have got older

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">

clocking up some 450 miles a week
    That's the idea[;)]

laptop, come on Steve isn't that easy to solve.

Not wanting to rub it in (again) but my ride home can take in all the mountain passes and nice rides that you mention. In fact I'm starting to find the many, many holidays I have to be bit of a drag as I can't find any good, new routes to train on.[:)]

Are you riding the magic dragon tonight by the way, anyone?
  • Mark Alexander
    yep, MD awaits me, I have to run off now

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • what a cr*p cr*p ride tonight...Ive just checked my HR data and its the same as ever, so effort wasn't a problem. I hope its down to spending 22 hours in a plane in the last 5 days.....otherwise I'm selling my bike and taking up Golf. Well done Mark by the way, that was a good tme you did, I didnt think the course was at all easy, seemed to be a headwind in every direction...

By the way, which one of the oggies are you - I never seem to see you there!! I know there are a lot of the oggies in the MD series, but not that many.

• Mark Alexander
    thanks Steve,[8D]. I was happy with 28.27. I met Chis W for the 1st time at MD5 and thanks to him for the push off, [:)]. I had a good run along the a40 carrigeway and it 'felt' good. Which oggie am I, Im the hansome one[:D]. ie. the short, balding ginger bloke.

• Mark Alexander
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Alexander</i>

thanks Steve,[8D]. I was happy with 28.27. I met Chis W for the 1st time at MD5 and thanks to him for the push off, [:)]. I had a good run along the a40 carrigeway and it 'felt' good. Which oggie am I, Im the hansome one[:D]. ie. the short, balding ginger bloke.

Didn't the flight attendants take your Turbo on the plane? shame.

my baby elephant has more memory than my PC

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Alexander</i>

Was it you I was chatting to at the HQ before the start of the WCA 25 last month? On a turbo warming up just outside under the front covered bit, or are there 2 oggies that match that description??!!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">to him for the push off, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well I reckon my time was so bad because of Chris's (lack of) push off [;)]

• chriswcp
    I only had one problem out of 100 odd riders, now guess the sex of that person.[:)](oh what have I done now, prepare for backlash.)

We ended up doing a tango across the road to the words of '...don't let me go lean me over lean me over...' all while a car passed quite close.

In all fairness I should take responsibility as it was the last but one rider, my back was in bits and I was very concious of the on-comming car who was giving very little room to a nervous looking rider.

Starting's great fun but how/why do people to forget to take their hands of the brake levers.[:o)]
  • Mark Alexander
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrisw</i>

I only had one problem out of 100 odd riders, now guess the sex of that person.[:)](oh what have I done now, prepare for backlash.)

We ended up doing a tango across the road to the words of '...don't let me go lean me over lean me over...' all while a car passed quite close.

In all fairness I should take responsibility as it was the last but one rider, my back was in bits and I was very concious of the on-comming car who was giving very little room to a nervous looking rider.

Starting's great fun but how/why do people to forget to take their hands of the brake levers.[:o)]

I'm not sure of the sex[;)] but I got caught up on the downhill at the end of MD5. it was hell[:D]

• ClaireV
    ClaireV Posts: 967
    I believe I am a model of perfection at the start [^]. And I let go of the brake levers [^][^]. And I took a minute off my PB last night [^][^][^][:)][:)][:)][8D][8D][8D]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ClaireV</i>

I believe I am a model of perfection at the start [^]. And I let go of the brake levers [^][^]. And I took a minute off my PB last night [^][^][^][:)][:)][:)][8D][8D][8D]

Bah Humbug!! Well done by the way.

For the first time ever I am nervous about Saturdays 10, its my clubs open event, and I'm afraid that the worsening trend of my times isnt about to be reversed...so its time for some comfort guinness tonight then at least I'll have a valid excuse [:)]

• Mark Alexander
    steve, if you're going to do that to yourself then at least make it a light one, drink lager. At least so much gas will lift your weight off the seat[:D]

I've got a 25 in Raglan on Sunday but there's doubt over the course, it may end up as a 15 or 10. It looks as though I'm going to hav to ride there. the trains get to Neath at 0920 and i'm due to race at 0914.....[:p]

• Mark Alexander
    good luck with your 10 on Sat. go for broke.

• ClaireV
    ClaireV Posts: 967
    Yep, good luck Steve. Just think fast thoughts and you'll be fine. My main worry this weekend is the sheer horror of having to go up Cleeve hill 80 miles into the Circuit of the Cotswolds on Sunday...
  • That wold be the Merthy 25 then Mark - I missed the cut off for my entry so will do the Ajax sunday run instead.

I dont think I can beat my PB on Saturday, so I've already lost it in my head. Pathetic, but might aswell be realistic! Anyways, next weekend is the DRAGON..!! Yeah!

• chriswcp

steve, if you're going to do that to yourself then at least make it a light one, drink lager. At least so much gas will lift your weight off the seat[:D]

I've got a 25 in <b>Raglan</b> on Sunday but there's doubt over the course, it may end up as a 15 or 10. It looks as though I'm going to hav to ride there. the trains get to Neath at 0920 and i'm due to race at 0914.....[:p]

Mark, I think you're a bit confused, Raglan is nowhere near Neath. We used the Raglan area on Tuesday![:0]

Where do you live, riding to the event shouldn't be a problem. Riding home well that can be different.[;)]
  • Mark Alexander
    spot on Chris, I meant Resolven. it's only 30 miles ish so if I start out at 7ish and tak it easy, at least I'll be warmd up? I'll see how I feel afterwards but I think that the train may b th best option... if th weathr's rubbish i'll pull out. I'll get soaked then cold and probably do myself a mischief I may even go for the Sunday myself. it's all weather dependant.

• The no guinness approach worked. I can thankfully report that Jet Lag is a pretty effective way or wrecking your speed for a few days, but once over it it seems to help. I havent ridden since Wednesday, and that was an aborted 30 miler that lasted 12. managed a course (R10/23) PB today by bang on 30 seconds. Wasnt a fast day, and beat a few riders I didn't expect..[:)]

• chriswcp
    Sounds like Steve, you've hit on a tapering stratergy there, then. Need to refine it now for the big races.

Well done, what time did you do? Who won etc etc.
  • Mark Alexander
    Minor problem, I went to maindy track to watch th cycling and now have sun stroke. I'm not well and my alarm didn't go off so I was supposed to start the 25, 24 mins ago.
    oops[V]

• Mark.Scp
    Mark.Scp Posts: 514

Minor problem, I went to maindy track to watch th cycling and now have sun stroke. I'm not well and my alarm didn't go off so I was supposed to start the 25, 24 mins ago.
    oops[V]

lol, that does need an oops :D

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
    la marmotte xD

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
    la marmotte xD

• Mark Alexander
    I was photographing it and got to the in-field. I got some grat shots. I went prepared for rain [:I]
    I wasn't the only one[B)][^]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrisw</i>

Sounds like Steve, <b>you've hit on a tapering stratergy there, then.</b> Need to refine it now for the big races.

Well done, what time did you do? Who won etc etc.

And would be a very expsensive one too.....[:0]

Ceri Pritchard 21:18, I managed 25:48 Bit windy, but at least it was dry.