The return of the Cotswold Audax!

<font face="Arial"><font size="4"><font color="red"><font size="6">The Cotswold Audax - Sunday 10th June</font id="size6"></font id="red">

<font color="green">Beacon RCC's Cotswold Audax is a great day's riding for cyclists of all ambition levels. Hundreds of riders enjoy the warm welcome and camaraderie of this well-established annual promotion, which now features:

* A great new HQ near the M42, with ample parking,
* changing facilities, showers and catering
* Choice of three distances: 108, 150 and 202 km (67.5, 94 and 126 miles)
* Country lanes nearly all the way
* Striking views, leafy byways and limestone villages
* Controls at cycle-friendly caf‚s and pubs
* Free refreshments at the start and finish
* Souvenir water bottle for every finisher

Our 2007 event takes place on Sunday 10 June. Places fill fast so send us your entry as soon as possible.

For full comprehensive details, see: </font id="green">

<font color="red">http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html</font id="red"></font id="size4"></font id="Arial">

Comments

• dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    FANTASTIC[:)]

I rode this last year. It was probably the best audax of last year. But could you ring the Met Office and ask them to turn down the thermostat this year - it was absolutely boiling last year.

Whoever composed the website needs congratulating. It is the most comprehensive I have ever seen for an audax.
  • I did this most excellently organised ride as my first ever Audax 3 years ago. The club is the gold standard in how to organise an Audax. fantasic club to start out from, fabby, fabby route instructions, pics taken whilst on ride are printed up for you by the time you get back to the club house where there is more food than you can shake a considerable stick at, oh yes, there is one criticism that I keep mentioning to the organiser and he does nothing about it .... He doesn't charge enough! Its all worth much much more. I'll be there again this year along with friends and hopefully Mrs 46213.... Travel from as far away as you can and judge for yourselves. Its the only audax I don't mind getting up early for and hitting the motorway.

2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • We did the Sunrise in February, my first Audax. Organisation was fantastic. Signed up for this one as soon as found out. Can't wait.

If you've never done one before then consider this.

Organisation 10/10
    Route details 10/10
    Control stop cafes 10/10
    Friendliness of fellow trippers 10/10

What more can you ask?
  • Hi John and Mig

Many thanks for kind comments about our audax. I won't tell George though - he may not be able to get his head through the door.

Asides from that, we have moved the HQ this year to enable riders to get showered after their epic through the Cotswolds. The last place was a rather airless hole.

The routes this will be changed to reflect the new HQ with the shortening of some stages and the lengthening of others but overall the gaps will not be too great between the check in points.

And even better, riders on the Expedition will not have to content with evil climb out of Winchcombe[:)]

Look forward to seeing you

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Migmiller</i>

We did the Sunrise in February, my first Audax. Organisation was fantastic. Signed up for this one as soon as found out. Can't wait.

Organisation 10/10
    Route details 10/10
    Control stop cafes 10/10

What more can you ask?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
  • Lifeson
    Lifeson Posts: 327
    Philip
    Ignore my ignorance if the answer is obvious but as this will be my first Audax, I am just checking a few details.
    I started to map the route on autoroute when I noticed it is already done on your website Here Wythall to Wellesbourne
    But the written instructions don't match !
    Step 8 says @ 5 km 1st left no sp (Whitepits lane) but the gpx route does not go down Whitepits lane [:0] and carries on down Seafield lane

Which is correct? or does it not matter as you end up in Wellesbourne either way

This Elephant, is it Indian or African?
    "You must return here with a shrubbery, or else, you will never pass through this wood... alive."
  • Lifeson
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lifeson</i>

Philip
    Ignore my ignorance if the answer is obvious but as this will be my first Audax, I am just checking a few details.
    I started to map the route on autoroute when I noticed it is already done on your website Here Wythall to Wellesbourne
    But the written instructions don't match !
    Step 8 says @ 5 km 1st left no sp (Whitepits lane) but the gpx route does not go down Whitepits lane [:0] and carries on down Seafield lane

Which is correct? or does it not matter as you end up in Wellesbourne either way

Oh I think I have just spotted the anomally.
    You have directions for clockwise and anti clockwise but the gpx route is the clockwise option.
    Does it matter which way you go round? (other than forwards [:D] )

"You must return here with a shrubbery, or else, you will never pass through this wood... alive."
  • guido298
    guido298 Posts: 10
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lifeson</i>

Oh I think I have just spotted the anomally.
    You have directions for clockwise and anti clockwise but the gpx route is the clockwise option.
    Does it matter which way you go round?

As I understand it, there is a choice of 4 events:

Cotswold Expedition (202km)
    Cotswold Journey (150km)
    Cotswold Outing Anti-clockwise (108km)
    Cotswold Outing Clockwise (108km)

When you send in the form put 202, 150, 108C or 108AC under Distance.
  • Saturn
    Saturn Posts: 628
    The sections listed are shown in the anticlockwise direction but they're just links to maps showing the route and this works the same in both directions. The GPX is just a feature of toporoute and I guess will work out in whichever direction the organiser plotted the route.

I don't use GPS so don't know but I'd have thought that having imported a route into your GPS thingy you'd be able to tell it to reverse the route - as if you wanted to go home IYSWIM.
    <font size="1">May all your tail winds be up-drafts</font id="size1">
  • dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    Bump!

(Just saving you job, Phillip) [;)]

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    To change the mood a little, I've been posing down the pub.
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Migmiller</i>

We did the Sunrise in February, my first Audax. Organisation was fantastic. Signed up for this one as soon as found out. Can't wait.

Organisation 10/10
    Route details 10/10
    Control stop cafes 10/10

What more can you ask?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Glad you enjoyed it Migmiller. It's an awful lot of hard work but if people have a good day out on their bikes as a result then the effort is worthwhile.[:)]

Every silver lining has a cloud
  • dave5ncp
    The Beacon do promote fantastic rides. Forget your Cyclosportives - these are better.

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
  • Lifeson
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dave5n</i>

The Beacon do promote fantastic rides. Forget your Cyclosportives - these are better.

Dave, are you entering?

• dave5ncp

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dave5n</i>

Dave, are you entering?

No. I had planned to, but my sister is getting married that day and try as I might I couldn't squeeze both in. [:(]

Know where I'd prefer to be though. The February one was great. [:)]

• Thanks Beaconruth

I have got one new guy signed up with another couple of possibles for this one and we cannot wait. Doing Aberystwyth up to Ludlow Sat/Sun as a group of 18 or so but rather than it being the focus we are now using it as training for the Cotswold Clockwise This time I will take on board suitable fuel as I hit the wall about the 90Km mark, which was wierd. Restored by the best free meal ever at the Hartlebury HQ. Look forward to my second Brevet Populaire
  • <font color="green"><font size="4"><font face="Arial">The weather forecast for this weekend's audax is promising with a high pressure set to dominate. This will increase the likelyhood of sunny conditions with only a light breeze.

So, if you have been waiting to book at the last minute on the basis of the weather then do it now! We only have few places left on what looks like the biggest Beacon audax ever.

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html</font id="Arial"></font id="size4"></font id="green">
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Philip Whiteman</i>

<font face="Arial"><font size="4"><font color="red"><font size="6">The Cotswold Audax - Sunday 10th June</font id="size6"></font id="red">

<font color="green">Beacon RCC's Cotswold Audax is a great day's riding for cyclists of all ambition levels. Hundreds of riders enjoy the warm welcome and camaraderie of this well-established annual promotion, which now features:

Our 2007 event takes place on Sunday 10 June. Places fill fast so send us your entry as soon as possible.

<font color="red">http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html</font id="red"></font id="size4"></font id="Arial">
  • <font size="5"><font color="blue"><font face="Tahoma">With the exception of a small number of places on the 200k. This audax is now FULL. Better luck next year</font id="Tahoma"></font id="blue"></font id="size5">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Philip Whiteman</i>

<font color="green"><font size="4"><font face="Arial">The weather forecast for this weekend's audax is promising with a high pressure set to dominate. This will increase the likelyhood of sunny conditions with only a light breeze.

So, if you have been waiting to book at the last minute on the basis of the weather then do it now! We only have few places left on what looks like the biggest Beacon audax ever.

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html</font id="Arial"></font id="size4"></font id="green">

• Another fantastic ride! Well done to the club for its efforts and to George for the masterminding. Like the new venue, like the change of route bits and like the fabby weather that you lot organise every year. Was hoping to catch a glance at BRuth (you know, sort of admire from afar and point her out to the missus but it wasn't to be). See you all next year.

<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnbirkby46213</i>

Another fantastic ride! Well done to the club for its efforts and to George for the masterminding. Like the new venue, like the change of route bits and like the fabby weather that you lot organise every year. Was hoping <b>to catch a glance at BRuth </b>(you know, sort of admire from afar and point her out to the missus but it wasn't to be). See you all next year.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:0] [:I] Sorry, John. Unfortunately the Audax clashed with a local TT that's one of my favourites and an important warm-up for next weekend's national championship. George had an army of help and no shortage of riders so I thought I wouldn't be missed. Obviously I was wrong. [;)]

I'm glad you all had a good day though. Maybe I can meet you next year!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dave5n</i>

It's true!
    This was one of my best rides since returning to proper riding 7 years ago.

The organisation was incredibly efficient - I only signed up for it about 4 days before and George sorted everything without fuss. This was despite me forgetting to include a cheque when I hastily sent off the forms.

The weather was fantastic - even including a nice cooling mist in the morning, before the searing heat started. properly

High points:
    swooping down the lanes early on swapping places with a tandem
    the lavender field on the right (can't remember where it was)
    the cotswold villages
    the route
    the other riders

Low points:
    The culture shock that was Burford (busy and full of posh people with time on their hands)
    The gravelled section that brought a couple of riders down hard in the group we were in.

I'll definitely be signing up for this again next year and this time I'll remember to include payment!
  • robgul
    robgul Posts: 1,651
    Have to add my congrats too - excellent ride and PB for me for 108km - fantastic organisation from George and the team.

Sorry, John, didn't see you at the end ... and I drove a lot of your route (towards you)on my way home and still didn't see you :-(

Let's hope we see a lot of the riders at this year's MacRide on 9 Sept - see www.macride100.co.uk for the 100k version - or www.macride.org.uk for the plain vanilla!

Rob

MacRide 2007 - 9 Sept at Stratford-on-Avon - raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support - 25/50 miles - & for 2007 MacRide 100Km (Audax style) Details: www.macride.org.uk

Rides at Stratford-on-Avon : www.shakespokes.org.uk - trivia at www.beewee.co.uk
    ----
    FGG 3726
  • Rob

I am trying to get around 20 from our place to do it, various distances.

Do you have a cpacity and when do you need entries by?

I posted my thanks to Beacon in Cakestop but I must just emphasise my gratitude for a fantastic day
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> posted by Jon Derricott

The gravelled section that brought a couple of riders down hard in the group we were in.

Sorry to hear that some people came a cropper. How many? Were they hurt?

I must admit that I did not hear about any accidents but there again my riding companion and I were ahead of the main bulk of riders in any case.

I know what you mean about the tandem - we too followed the tandem on the way out as far as the climb out of Mickleton. Boy, were they setting a stiff pace at times. But after that point we were on our own and managed to complete the route by 4pm. Quite a pleasing time but I felt absolutely knackered.

Jon - are you the guy that arrived back at 3ish?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Philip Whiteman</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> posted by Jon Derricott

I must admit that I did not hear about any accidents but there again my riding companion and I were ahead of the main bulk of riders in any case.

I know what you mean about the tandem - we were the two people in Beacon tops that followed the tandem on the way out as far as the climb out of Mickleton. Boy were they setting a stiff pace at times until they reached the climbs. But after that point we were on our own and managed to complete the route by 4pm. Quite a pleasing time but I felt absolutely knackered.

Can't wait until next year!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Philip Whiteman</i>
    <i>Originally posted by Philip Whiteman</i>
    posted by Jon Derricott

I know what you mean about the tandem - we were the two people in Beacon tops that followed the tandem on the way out as far as the climb out of Mickleton. Boy were they setting a stiff pace at times until they reached the climbs. But after that point we were on our own and managed to complete the route by 4pm. Quite a pleasing time but I felt absolutely knackered.

Can't wait until next year!
  • robgul
    robgul Posts: 1,651

Rob

I am trying to get around 20 from our place to do it, various distances.

Do you have a cpacity and when do you need entries by?

I posted my thanks to Beacon in Cakestop but I must just emphasise my gratitude for a fantastic day

That's great news ... capacity is unlimited ! (well, we don't plan to turn anyone away) - it really, really helps us if you can enter beforehand so my check-in ladies just have to issue rider cards. However, on the day entries are no problem, just costs a couple of quid more.

Finally - if you want a jersey you'll need to get in quickly - details on the website at www.macride.org.uk -

Any other questions then e-mail me direct rob@<the macride domain>

Rob

MacRide 2007 - 9 Sept at Stratford-on-Avon - raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support - 25/50 miles - & for 2007 MacRide 100Km (Audax style) Details: www.macride.org.uk

Rides at Stratford-on-Avon : www.shakespokes.org.uk - trivia at www.beewee.co.uk
    ----
    FGG 3726