Bike bags and boxes

goldfishcp
goldfishcp Posts: 30
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I'm looking for a bag or box for transporting a range of road and mountain bikes (one at a time) by bus, train and possibly plane, and would appreciate advice from the cognoscenti.

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    If you're carrying it yourself, then a bag is OK, as it's lighter, cheaper and usually more manageable. Bike boxes are pretty heavy, expensive and surprisingly fragile but obviously if it's a fragile bike, about the only thing suitable for air travel. The Sci-Con box is pretty robust and the new Elite one looks tough too. Many of the cheaper bike boxes aren't worth the aggro in my experience.
  • Get an elite.

Have an old one in the original packaging Wsa œ300 Now œ150
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • I'd echo what Monty has said. The big drawback with the Sci-Con box is it's lack of manouverability, i.e. you need a car to transport it any distance. The Elite box is a bit better but it is an absolute monster in terms of size.

If you're travelling predominantly by bus and train then a decent bag, i.e. a padded one, sounds like it is ideal for you.
  • goldfishcp
    goldfishcp Posts: 30
    Many thanks for the above.
  • bigbaz
    bigbaz Posts: 538
    Decathlon`s own Trolley Bag is the best I`ve seen for bike transport.Forks are clamped to the base of the bag for security,much easier & quicker to pack than a hard box,which are often not that robust.