Sustrans on Radio 2

eternal_headwind
eternal_headwind Posts: 222
edited June 2007 in Campaign
Thanks to being hit by a car I am left with an injury that occasionally flares up, and this gave me an unexpected bonus yesterday.

I had to drive the car into work and on the way home I got to hear a SUSTRANS interview on Radio 2.

They were addressing the subject of what employers could do to encourage cycling to work.

I am one of the lucky few who has access to a shower and a secure lock up. I couldn't help but wonder what else people feel would help that their employer could realistically provide?

What would help you?

Comments

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    The problem with Sustrans is that they think that it's safe and indeed desirable to mix cyclists with pedestrians and unsafe and undesirable to mix cyclists with motor-traffic. Their recipe for more cycling in London will be to have segregated cycle-lanes and shared pedestrian/cycle zones and that is just not workable. It is also counter to what we're fighting for right now.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    My employer provides a limited number of bike lockers, and I'm lucky enough to have one. However, they've recently banned cyclists from bringing bikes into the building which is what I used to do and which was more useful to me. So for me the answer would be to lift the bikes in building ban.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • So, somewhere safe to lock your bike up. That is one thing.
  • bobbyp
    bobbyp Posts: 275
    I think that bike storage is the real big one. If I couldn't sit my bike by my desk I wouldn;t bring it in, I don;t leave it locked up outside anywhere else so why should I at work? Everything else (showers, changing rooms etc) you can work round if you want to.

Though it would be good if my company moved closer to where I live.
  • Strangely, I'd like to move about three miles further away, the exercise is doing wonders for me
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eternal_headwind</i>

Strangely, I'd like to move about three miles further away, the exercise is doing wonders for me
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree. My current accommodation is Glasgow is too close to work. When I was discussing arrangements with the relocation team, they were rather bemused by my request to live about 4 miles from work and not walking distance. Sadly, they ignored my request and I am in a rented apartment that is a short walk from work. Still, only 3 more months, and I move the family up to my own place.
  • Happy pedalling, gavintc
  • Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    Can I ask, what is sustrans's policy on gates across routes like the trans-penine trail? Around here the bloody gates are everywhere, its a right pain to have to dismount and carry your bike over the bits of wood the horses step over.

Is it too much to ask the local police to be out and about, confiscating motocross bikes being driven dangerously, or ripping ruts into the track?
  • BigBren
    BigBren Posts: 145
    To enable me to cycle to work my employer would have to shrink the country; I cover Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria and in so doing, drive around 25k business miles a year. I'd love to get my miles in by cycling to work every day!

Bren
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

My employer provides a limited number of bike lockers, and I'm lucky enough to have one. However, they've recently banned cyclists from bringing bikes into the building which is what I used to do and which was more useful to me. So for me the answer would be to lift the bikes in building ban.
    Same here, and they have "bike pods" on individual issue. Came to work tonight, having been told my pod would be moved (no destination given0 to find it surrounded by construction fencing.
    So it's back in the locker room.

My H&S officer is an anti-bike, anti-camera nutter. Apparently, bicycles are fire risks...

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    all the research suggests that having a secure place for a bike and a shower just about does it. TfL will subsidise both.
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    Secure, covered storage is 95% of it i'd reckon. That, a locker and a disabled toilet pretty much does it for me. Although I also cycled when I didn't have these. I get œ1/day (as does anyone not bringing a car on site). Keeps me in tyres and brake pads.
  • Regulator
    Regulator Posts: 417
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon L2</i>

all the research suggests that having a secure place for a bike and a shower just about does it. TfL will subsidise both.

Not only that but there are certain tax rebates that the company can claim. About the only useful tax initiative to come from Mr Brooooooooooooooooon.

• TT: I wonder about these health and safety people. I wish I could pedal fast enough so that bursting into flames was a possibility...