Campag 10 speed chain + wipperman connex

sufferingpete
sufferingpete Posts: 524
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Just read the Campag 10 speed chain instructions; they are scary.

However last time I changed my chain I did it without the special tool. It snapped and I slammed myself onto the tarmac. The second attempt was ok.

So I bought a Wipperman conneX campag compatible 10 speed link however the package says for 6.2 mm and the campag is 5.9 mm; 0.3 mm difference or 12 thou in inches which I think doesn't matter - especially since it should be loaded along its center line.

Has any one used this combination ok?

Racing is rubbish you can't relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I did have problems with a campag chain and a wipperman link jumping on an 11 sprocket - found it worked OK with an SRAM 9 speed link.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Get the "SHIMANO" version of the Connex link as it's narrower. Works fine with Campag Ultra Narrow 5.9mm chain - though it needs to be a certain way up for 12 and 11t sprockets.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pbiggs</i>

Get the "SHIMANO" version of the Connex link as it's narrower. Works fine with Campag Ultra Narrow 5.9mm chain - though it needs to be a certain way up for 12 and 11t sprockets.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Pete is correct - you need the Shimano Connex link for the Campag UN chains and it will jump on an 11 or 12 sprocket if you install the link upside down.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Thanks - that explains it then.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • It worked ok on this mornings 34 km commute but I spent little time in the 53x 12 sprocket. But when I did it was OK.

I will probably still change it for the Shimano one.

I was more worried about it snapping - last time I couldn't figure out how I got bruises and gravel rash down both sides when hitting the floor once.

Racing is rubbish you can't relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • Gimmer
    Gimmer Posts: 10
    Can anyone tell me what is the 'right way/certain way' up for the Connex link to work correctly with a Campag chain?
  • It does show you on the instruction sheet but this will also help you:-
    http://www.sindoe.dk/pics/connex-link.jpg