Best oil/grease for chain

Mr_Tomcp
Mr_Tomcp Posts: 64
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi,

I was just wondering if people had any recommendations on this. I normally use oil from my Dad's general purpose oil can in the garage which seems to work fine. My only complaint is that it tends to wash out really quickly if I get rained on. My Grandad was looking at my bike the other day and mentioned graphite grease, saying it would tend to stay put more than oil.

Thanks...

Tom

Comments

• pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    It's no good staying put on the outside if it's too thick to get into the inside and lubricate the pivoting parts. It's also not good if it's very sticky and a lot of dirt sticks.

Something that is clean, lubricates well, lasts well and doesn't cost a fortune.... unfortantely doesn't exist! Your dad's general purpose oil is as good as any other solution, on balance.

I'm currently using ProGold Prolink - but only because I got it cheap. It's relatively clean but doesn't lube or last all that well, really.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • Aunty Rubbish
    Aunty Rubbish Posts: 1,010
    It also depends on the conditions you ride in. For dry summery conditions you can get away with a lightweight 'dry' lube. Wet conditions call for something heavier, such as Finish Line Extreme. Whatever you use, the really important thing is to try to maintain a sensible cleaning regime. Learn how to get your chain off the bike (connecting links are your friends) because this makes it much easier to clean. Don't forget to clean your cassette and rings before re-fitting the chain. Then (and this really is crucial) take your time lubing the clean chain. One drop of lube per link is all you need. Don't just squirt lube while back pedalling, you'll just make a mess and get lube on the outside of the chain where it'll just collect grit and muck.

<font size="1">Oh (and this is just personal, there may be others who disagree) do NOT buy Purple Extreme. I've done so, used it exactly as per instructions and had to relube after a day when the squeaking got too much to bear. It's not magic, it doesn't stick on the chain and it lingers about as long as a hamster's fart.</font id="size1">

<font size="4"><b><font color="red">Chuffy</font id="red"></b></font id="size4">
  • ASC1951
    ASC1951 Posts: 992
    Finish Line? Graphite Grease?

You need a <b>Scottoiler</b>, as any fule kno. Give it six months and your bike will look like the Exxon Valdez.
  • Mr_Tomcp
    Mr_Tomcp Posts: 64
    "Whatever you use, the really important thing is to try to maintain a sensible cleaning regime. Learn how to get your chain off the bike (connecting links are your friends) because this makes it much easier to clean. Don't forget to clean your cassette and rings before re-fitting the chain."

What would you recommend for cleaning the chain? Any household cleaning products which might do the trick? I've got an old toothbrush and washing up bowl but I was wondering what would break the oil up best?
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mr_Tom</i>
    What would you recommend for cleaning the chain? Any household cleaning products which might do the trick? I've got an old toothbrush and washing up bowl but I was wondering what would break the oil up best?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Remove chain and place in a jam jar of white spirit, shake, repeat, hang up to dry. No scrubbing required.

Save the white spirit to use again. Dirt settles to the bottom.
    <i>~Pete</i>