Carbon Posts & Saddlebags

Aidocp
Aidocp Posts: 868
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I'm doing a charity cycle at the weekend, 67 miles depending how I feel after that I'm planning to cycle back part of the way to my parents or the train station.
Anyway I'll probably want to be more prepared than usual and this means taking a larger bag for a jacket, maps, etc. I'm wanting to take the road bike but it has no lugs so I'd use my Ortlieb Saddle bag I bit concerned about where it connects to the carbon seat post. Is it going to be a problem? I might be able to pad the bracket.

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?

Comments

• rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Yes, over time it will scuff and mark the post. Either use insulation tape or something to protect the finish of the post. I use 'helicopter' type tape. It's totally transparent and doesn't yellow with age. Easy to get off as well.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    Thanks rjsmith,

Over what period of time do you mean, is it likely to happen during 1 ride or after 10 or 100 or more?

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    It's suprising how much scuffing can occur on one ride. If it's only the once then I'd strongly suggest black insulation tape double wrapped round the post at the contact point to protect the carbon post. Keeps it looking nice and also stops any possible damage which might get worse in time. I was dismayed once to see the mark my under saddle bag had made on my carbon post after just a couple of rides.
  • the ferry
    the ferry Posts: 258
    along the same lines....ive just realised(!) that my rear wheel has been rubbing the inside of one of the chain stays. its a trek madone. the laquer has worn off where it's been catching. i've measured for alignment its seems ok but i am having dificulty getting the rear wheel to sit right.
    any suggestions?