changing campag to shimano

davey d
davey d Posts: 41
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi there
I need to change eurus campag rear wheel to take shimano 10 speed cassette. What do I have to do please

Thanks for any info

Comments

• alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    get a tin hat and wait for the "shimano is sh<i></i>ite" brigade to berate such sacrilege.

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • davey d
    The reason its getting changed is in 12 months and 1000 miles I have had a broken crank,both ergos shifters failed and a brake claiper replaced this is on a chorus group set, the waiting time for replacements is 4/6 weeks I could go on but I am just changing back to Dura ace. I just like the wheels and want to keep them
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davey d</i>

The reason its getting changed is in 12 months and 1000 miles I have had a broken crank,both ergos shifters failed and a brake claiper replaced this is on a chorus group set, the waiting time for replacements is 4/6 weeks I could go on but I am just changing back to Dura ace. I just like the wheels and want to keep them
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Are you sure it's not because you are a ham fisted ####?[:)]

You appear to have had more breakages in 1000 miles than I have had in over 120,000.
    In what way have the Ergos failed? and what was wrong with the caliper that needed replacing?
    Shimano splined freehub bodies are available as spare parts for Eurus....get a grown up to fit it.[;)]

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

The older I get, the better my power to weight ratio was.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Campag have a very good 3 year warranty - unless you've bust them due to crashes / poor fitting, then I'd be surprised why you can't get replacements - and have you ever waited for Shimano warranty stuff from Madison? - 12 weeks guaranteed wait! Yes you can get a Shimano freehub for your Eurus, but you're kidding yourself if you think DuraAce is more durable, once an STI is toast, it' toast!
  • davey d
    Why do people get their nickers in such a twist about the difference between campag and shimano, all I wanted was the advise, like anything in life I couldn't get on with something so changing back to what worked before. no dis to campag but it failed me. I may be ham fisted but I was like that with shimano for over 15 years and never had a problem
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    What was wrong with the caliper and Ergos? And what broke on your crank?

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

The older I get, the better my power to weight ratio was.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • binlinus
    binlinus Posts: 305
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davey d</i>

I just like the wheels and want to keep them
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But why? They'll be the next thing you'll break!

Bin
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    At risk of being the only one to brush upon an answer to your question (I run Campag. and Shimano setups), there was a thread recently on this - See if I can find it tomorrow.
    From memory, it's not that difficult, but if I got it right you can't go the other way.
    Can't remember how you get the cassette on, or whether you'll need a new "converter" cassette, but the bottom line was that you just re-adjusted your deureilleur after that, and you were off.
  • gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    As far as I know you just need shimano sized spacers between the cogs - thats it
    Ask your lbs, they should be able to get those
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    One problem is that a Shimano cassette won't fit on a Campag hub as the splines are different.

If you keep a Campag cassette, the problem is that the spacing of the sprockets is different for Shimano & Campag, and different for 8, 9, 10-speed too. The shifters pull the cable as far as they need to make the rear mech move sideways the right distance for their make of cassette

CTC have a Shimergo page which explains this better
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.as ... 6#Shimergo
    but the problem with this is that it's about using Campag shifters on Shimano rear mechs and cassettes, not your way round.

A Shiftmate however will do it http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm
    Assuming you want to use say Shimano 9-speed shifters, you'd fit a Campag 9-speed cassette to the wheels, plus one of their cable-pull converter pulleys.
    They're US company, but the Dealers page lists a UK dealer in Shropshire.

Or there was a shop advertising every week in the back of Cycling Weakly, full page ad, who amongst all their other stuff did Campag feehub-fitting cassettes with Shimano spacing and vice versa - I think these were œ60 or so.
    I think they were Marchisio brand, as here http://www.highpath.co.uk/cycles/cassettes/01.html

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?
  • gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    If he has shimano shifters and rear mech - then the only difference is the spacing of the cogs
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Oldham Cycle Centre offer (offered?) Marchisio cassettes for this conversion. I know the shop has recently changed hands but I'm pretty sure the new owners will be as helpful and responsive as the last, which is to say they'll offer a top class service.

Crank breakage for a while in the 80s was a fairly common occurrence, but the incidence of this has fallen off dramatically due to (?) better metallurgy, the use of composites or better design, and I'd be interested to know how you broke yours - if the aerospace industry had to put up with the reliability and durability of equipment as do us cyclists, there'd be a scandal. Now if you ask about reliability you just get a tissue of partisan abuse.