hydraulic disc brakes - how do I repair them?

the reluctant cyclist
edited June 2007 in Workshop
My rear brake is stuck on on my giant - XTC 3 mountain bike. There are little barrells of hydraulic brake fluid on the handlebars and when all is well you can adjust the level of braking with some discs at the side of the barrells.

The one for the rear brake will not adjust at all and it has stuck the back disc permanently on.

I don't have a clue where to start - has anyone else had this problem?

By the way - how hard to push your bike home up a hill with the back brake stuck on?!!!!

All suggestions would be very welcome!

**All I'm trying to do is get to work**
**All I\'m trying to do is get to work**

Comments

• CraigUKcp
    CraigUKcp Posts: 1,209
    I have a 2006 Giant XTC SX and had a similar problem at the weekend. In my case all I had to do was loosen the top screw on the resevour and this let the excess presure in the system out and a little bit of air into the top of the resevoir. After doing this all was fine. Ideally as a starting point I would remove your pads and clean up the calipers and bleed the system with some new fluid using the syringe that you got with the bike.

<b>My Bikes</b> Van Nicholas Quest Giant MTB

My Ebay
  • Thanks for that.

I don't have a top screw but I do have something that looks like you could losen it with an allen key - is that what you mean?

Unfortunately I don't have a syringe or any instructions either as I got the bike from e-bay a few years ago. It was virtually brand new but no instruction manual or anything!

• Err take it to you friendly bike mechanic.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Another quality bit of advice there Down the Road. you really are very helpful [V]

sounds like your pistons are stuck. has the system been looked after or have you just run it into the ground?
    its quite easy to fix, just need to push the pistons back in to body.
    the www.parktool.com website has some advice
    or look here http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/support_faq.shtml hayes brakes are similar to the standard mph brakes on your bike

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Thanks again for the replies - I suppose I have just "run it into the ground" as you say! Sounds terrible though. I have only done about 800 miles on it as I use my Trek for commuting. I have tried to keep everything clean and oiled but as the brakes had worked perfectly fine up until now I presumed they were okay - those websites look great though - I have printed them out and will have a go when I am at home.

I don't have a local bike mechanic but my fella is pretty good and my brother can be quite helpful too so hopefully between us we can sort it out. I have been trying to do more and more bike maintenence myself though (I even learned to repair a puncture this year and everything!!!!)[:D]